Follow

Batman Eternal

Volume »

The New 52's first weekly series starring Batman and his large cast of supporting characters, both friend and foe.

Batman Eternal #34

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The BATMAN ETERNAL crew has done a lot of things very well over the course of this series, but one of the best, most subtle things is maintaining narrative momentum. BATMAN ETERNAL hasn’t really ever jumped around narratively nor used jumps forward nor back, yet has still managed to keep a steady pace, transitioning seamlessly from one story to the next so the whole narrative still feels cohesive and connected. This issue is another excellent example of that as Hush’s plan to detonate Batman’s weapon caches throughout the city is revealed to not be the final step of his master plan. When that step is revealed, it not only makes for excellent storytelling, but it connects organically to the previous steps. Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV have done a helluva job charting and architecting this story while Kyle Higgins’ script holds it all together and Ray Fawkes and Tim Seeley make all the little details click on consulting and I know I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: these guys must have a great line of communication because the continuity of both events and quality is beyond the pale.

Alvaro Martinez’s pencils are incredible. This is a very action-heavy issue and the fights explode across the page with violence and impact that’s amazingly well blocked. We’ve been waiting to see Batman and Hush throw down for several issues now and this fight does not disappoint, particularly showing the gulf between the two fighters’ skill. Hush has some moves for sure, but this issue makes it clear that he has not been to the mountain. He hasn’t even SEEN the mountain. Raul Fernandez handles inks and brings the characters, and city, into stark relief with details that bring out the atmosphere and expressions of the panels and Brad Anderson’s colors give a sense of depth to Gotham and its denizens.

The Bad

Julia Pennyworth has been an interesting, worthy addition to this universe and this storyline especially, but in this particular issue she feels highly misused. Her effectiveness is called seriously into question in a situation where it should have been more than sufficient against an opponent she highly outclasses in terms of fighting acumen.

This is also a plot-focused issue, and while the plot develops along some very interesting paths, and the fight at the end is satisfying, the characters bounce off each other without any substantial interaction or development and they go along feeling almost like they’re on rails, which makes some moments ring hollow when they should have some substance.

The Verdict

The storyline appears to be turning another corner, and now would be a good time to grab a few back issues and get into this book. It’s seemingly found exactly what it wants to be and how it wants to get there, eschewing the more globetrotting, bombastic storylines for some real intimate, smaller-scale stories. Too many cooks sometimes spoil the broth, but that’s of no concern here as the consistent quality of this book hasn’t significantly wavered in several issues.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I wanna read this so bad, but I'm reading Earth 2: World's End, and I can't afford two weeklies, maybe I'll switch...

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@the_stegman: You should switch lol

& c'mon Corey I think you're being to hard on Julia, he shot her not beat her in hand to hand.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I loved the plot twist but now I really want to know who's really behind all of this! Hush was just another pawn (okay, maybe a rook), so who's the controller of all of this?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i stopped reading once hush came in, i just dont like that guy. But i feel like im missing a huge chunk of story in my other books

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The Batman vs Hush fight is definitely a Best Battle of the Week contender eh @k4tzm4n

As for the reveal that Hush isn't the big bad well I've been noticing a few hints here and there, notably early on, when Batman was wondering who is the mastermind, he would repeatedly ask in big caps Who? WHO?!? While they showed a shadowy figure. "Who" as in the sound owls make, as in the Court of Owls, as in Lincoln March. The original teaser for BE also showed an Owl on a tree, and since they haven't made their presence knwon yet, it's the logical answer that they are behind this.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

First Julia was in the SRS now she's in the SAS, they need to make up their minds. Also why isn't Gotham swarming with British Military police since she's pretty much went AWOL.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wayne enterprises is down :D

TaxidermyLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone think Hush looked like The Arkham Knight quite a bit in his gear? or is it just me? :P

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if its Joker behind all this as well :o

batwingman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought fabok's artwork was the best so far in the series but this issues artwork is literally the best I have seen in a while...beautiful!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

worlds end and futures end are fantastic reads, i say stick with them and pick up the eternal trades when they come out.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I thought the issue's strongest point was the job the artist did. His pencils were incredible and I would love to see him work on a Batman book again. As for the master plan and the big twists and stuff like that - I expected it from this creative team to make Hush just another pawn and not the actual villain. It was obvious that things will turn out that way a few issues before this one and also if you know the work of all of the writers then you would know what to expect. Even though I was disappointed that TOmmy wasn't the big bad I still enjoyed, kind of, this issue and I want to see what will happen next.

3.5/5

Kestrelio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm really having a hard time jumping into this series. Hush is such a joke of a villain with a completely illogical motive that the pill is just too big to swallow.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightofthechronicle: I personally think Dr. Hurt or Owlman are the frontrunners for being the final boss of eternal. at the beginning of the series when we see Bruce beaten and tied to the batsignal, the villain calls him Bruce specifically. very few villains actually care much about or know Bruce's identity, a select few include both Lincoln March and Dr Hurt. they are also two of the only villains with the resources to be able to put everything that has happened in Eternal together.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really didn't like the new 52 Hush.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, fantastic read. Aside from a few side tracked issues this series has been excellent issue after issue. 3 great and 1 very good Bat book right now. It will be interesting to see who is behind this. Don't want to spoil but I agree with some of the other posters. Just a fantastic ride this series has been. Gordon arrested, in prison. The return of Hush, what he did to twist the knife with Bruce. Attacking Alfred with the fear toxin, now Julia. All good stuff. Look forward to this every week. Haven't missed an issue yet. I am also enjoying Futures End and World End but this is the best of the 3 IMHO.

Eddk1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eddk1994

Just throwing this out there.. Owlman from earth 3(from Forever Evil)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eddk1994: this is the most random thread to ask that, but yes.

Eddk1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eddk1994

@jayc1324: found it difficult to locate another batman eternal thread. Realistically I can see it being either owlman from earth 3 or owlman of earth primE but what do you think?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.