Follow

Batman Eternal

Volume »

The New 52's first weekly series starring Batman and his large cast of supporting characters, both friend and foe.

Batman Eternal #23

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The all-star cast of writers continues to juggle one of the biggest casts in any NEW-52 titles and somehow allows them all to share the spotlight. We check in on Selina Kyle as she crashes one of the most hideous scenes we’ve yet seen in this title, or any other in DC. She winds up getting an unexpected call through an unexpected method to a very, very unexpected meeting. Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV have apparently decided to take this series in the darkest direction it’s gone yet while Tim Seeley wades in and handles the dialog and Ray Fawkes and Kyle Higgins provide vital support. It’s amazing to me, though perhaps it shouldn’t be, that each individual issue seems to have different tones (and casts) while, when taken as a whole, the entire thing holds together remarkably well. We also get some great follow-up from last issue regarding the Architect and what his plans ACTUALLY were. Turns out: they’re terrifying. I’m not sure, but without spoiling anything it looks like we’re getting the New-52 version of a well-known, well-loved Batman storyline and I am, so far, a big fan.

The visuals are, almost across the board, fantastic under the watchful, detailed, borderline-animated hand of Dustin Nguyen’s pencils. Characters have great distinction and looks all their own while his jagged style is perfect for the tone of the title. This isn’t a pretty book, but that doesn’t mean that it looks bad. The ultra-cartoonish look actually juxtaposes well with the bleak, dark subject matter. Derek Fridolfs’ inks do a great deal to establish tone and build what the book is wordlessly communicating to the reader, as well as highlighting Nguyen’s pencils and calling attention to the finer details. John Kalisz’s colors are the perfect mood-setting palette of dark, grim and razor-sharp. This is a very distinctive, kinetic issue and these colors look like the kinds of things that’d cut you if you ran your finger along the panel the wrong way.

The Bad

This book goes full-throttle with how dark, grim and absolutely brutal it is. Then it goes a little overboard with some acts of absolutely senseless brutality punctuated by further descriptions of insane viciousness that it actually wraps back around on itself into absurdity. When Tiger Shark describes the myriad endangered animals his outfit is made of, all I can do is flash back to an 80s movie where someone in a sharp suit describes what a pain it is dumping radioactive waste on an orphanage.

Dustin Nguyen’s art falters in only a few panels, but when it falters, it does so noticeably. It’s mostly in the facial structure, or the lack thereof when people’s jawlines become incredibly elongated or blunted, their faces rearranging like a morphing Clayface (who is not in the issue, as far as I know).

The Verdict

Selina is the main focal point of this story and I didn’t mention her a great deal as it’s hard to talk about her story without delving into some serious spoilers, but what is developing with her is becoming increasingly interesting. Whether this turns out to be what I think it is, and based on the final panel, it’s definitely looking like a move in that direction, or not, the story has been entertaining and surprisingly easy to follow. But moreover: extremely worthwhile to follow.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

havent bought the past month's worth of Batman Eternals (they're chillin' in my pull) but im stoked to see that it is picking up and becoming a better read!

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda weird the hush just grabbed some random guy and starts yelling at him.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even realise that Rex Calabrese was Rex till they said he looked completely different to the last issue I recall him in

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicbookfan93: they should really hand out concept art for the artists to use so they have more continuity in the art.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I liked the issue but I am just tired of Snyder introducing someone from the past of each character he uses and the guy from the past reveals something shocking that changes the status quo of the character. He does that in every single book he's written and it's getting ridiculous because it seems to be the only thing he is doing.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

REALLY enjoying this. It feels like everything Batman to me. Detective work, conflict, working towards one goal and discovering other things are in the mix....Definitely will be buying this in trades.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not on board with whole ''Selina's destiny is being a Crimeboss ! '' ... They already killed Talia , I don't want Selina to turn into Talia...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

The first really good issue in months,finally we're moving forwards.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

@wowlock said:

Still not on board with whole ''Selina's destiny is being a Crimeboss ! '' ... They already killed Talia , I don't want Selina to turn into Talia...

She's back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.