Follow

Batman Eternal

Volume »

The New 52's first weekly series starring Batman and his large cast of supporting characters, both friend and foe.

Batman Eternal #2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Something bad has happened in Gotham City. That's nothing new but what makes this different is who is responsible. As Batman puts it, "This is more than an accident." With the situation being what it is and the idea that there is more going on, we see a call to arms. There are many that call, or have called, Gotham City home. This is a great series to allow those characters to step into the spotlight without making this a huge crossover event that could disrupt ongoing stories. Having Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV writing it, along with Ray Fawkes, John Layman, and Tim Seeley, you know everyone is going to have the right feel when they appear.

Most of the time in Batman comics, the focus has to be on Batman. Despite having his name in the title, it's clear that he won't be front and center the entire time. As the story unfolds, we also see the introduction to a couple characters you wouldn't expect to see here. The first issue was fun and set up the current mess in Gotham but here, you see just how serious it's going to get. It's like they're not just kicking things up a notch but rather, half a dozen notches. Gotham City hasn't seen anything yet.

Jason Fabok does a great job capturing the look and feeling for all the characters. He doesn't skip a beat introducing all the players, making each one different as well as showing everything else going on in the city. Brad Anderson's colors also sets the somber tone the story calls for. You can really get a feel for how bleak things are going to get.

The Bad

There's not much to complain about. Some have questioned the need for a weekly Batman comic but this one shows just how much explosive potential there is.

The Verdict

What can we expect in BATMAN ETERNAL? This issue is a good indication. There's a lot going on and clearly a lot headed our way. You can see why this story will work nicely in a weekly format. Besides the expected appearances from team Batman, we see some new faces arrive in Gotham and that guarantees things are going to get even more intense. If you like Batman, there's no way you can avoid this series. This is just the beginning and it's clearly going to get even crazier. What else would you expect from this creative team?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I really want to know who the man in green was

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@g_man: ohhhhh I can't belive that didn't click lol

manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: If I had the chance to see your post I would have left it alone. But totally cool right?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwithoutshame: It's totally fine. We clearly posted at pretty much the same time. Some people get sensitive about spoilers. It's not really a spoiler but...you never know.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordoftheNorth

i liked this issue but i have to ask why the hell is Batman afraid of the roman it makes no sense he is just a gangster not to mention that he dresses like a hipster douche and since when does Deacon Blackfire have powers

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be a very fun series to keep up with

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@g_man: I thought it was Ragman v.v

BUT YES FALCONES FINALLY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By cobra88king8

A) Falcone being back has me excited. Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story

B) Spectre being here has me super excited as his actions in the N52 so far have been meh

I'm really curious what he's going to do and how he's going to contribute to the main plot.

Part of me hopes that Renee Montoya will pop up at some point. So far this is shaping up to a great story and I can't wait until next week's issue

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome just awesome, can't wait until next WEEK

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been doing my best telling myself I don't want to read or get caught up in a weekly book, but it's killing me. Damn you DC! I'm going to crack. I need help.

Hello, my name is CaptainHoopla and I have a comic book addiction.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

I'll have a really good interview with Tynion posted tomorrow.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: my only problem to much damn dialogue! anyway WHOO SCORE 2 for the ROMANS!!!! now if we could only get the russains...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just two issues in and this is already the best Batman series out there.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

The first issue was pretty good but this issue was amazing. I can't wait to see how this develops.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal is not better than the title Batman series after only two issues, though it has great potential lol such typical silly comic book hater talk

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jonny_anonymous: the green guy on fire was deacon Blackfire

nd the guy in the suit may be cypher or deacon Blackfire in a human form

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

i liked this issue but i have to ask why the hell is Batman afraid of the roman it makes no sense he is just a gangster not to mention that he dresses like a hipster douche and since when does Deacon Blackfire have powers

Lots of characters have gotten new histories - and in some cases retcons if it suited them - in The New 52. Maybe the roman's new history makes him that dangerous.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I *loved* this comic. So much is happening, and so quickly too. This really feels like the *the* Bat comic to read this year.

I have been doing my best telling myself I don't want to read or get caught up in a weekly book, but it's killing me. Damn you DC! I'm going to crack. I need help.

You are probably going to have to break down and buy this comic. It is really good and has been touted as being *the* comic to read as it will set everything up for next year. I'd say wait for the trades but we all know DC is horrible when it comes to releasing timely trades. Your best bet would be to find the cheapest online store you can find and get a subscription (unfortunately, DC does not offer a subscription service for Eternal).

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth: we will have to wait and find out. I don't think he's appeared in new 52 yet, maybe he has changed

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: @manwithoutshame: How did you figure out that that's who that character was. Because I believe I'm somewhat familiar with him, but I did not realize that was who it was. Did I miss something important? Because I honestly have no idea how you figured that out.

@lordofthenorth: I'm thinking that's the ghost of Deacon Blackfire. He was dead pre-Flashpoint and maybe still is and somehow escaped hell or whatever to come back as a spirit. That's my guess.

Don't Worry. All the best people do.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jdp180

I should have known it was the Roman when he crushed that rose. But yeah its good to see him again and he still has those three claw marks Selina gave him. How can they keep this up every week?

manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By manwithoutshame

@kilowog52: The Spectre has already been introduced and used semi-frequently since they launched The Phantom Stranger ongoing, so that's part of it. Then the green eyes and green jacket was my second tip, he has all powerful yet vague abilities, and was talking about falling of the edge of oblivion which again is right up his alley.

Honestly when I saw the appearance my reaction was, "Oh hey, the Spectre."

soaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I remember correctly, "The Cult" features Blackfire pumping his followers with drugs that make them hallucinate. This might explain a few things that have happened in "Eternal" so far, I think...

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Awesome just awesome, can't wait until next WEEK

This!

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

I'm still hoping that somehow Cassandra Cain will appear in this series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.