Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided

Batman encounters re-animated museum corpses in New Orleans.

The Good

This issue revolves around a slightly-fictionalized take-off of the traveling Body Worlds exhibit. Anybody who's been to one of the galleries will know how simultaneously ghoulish and beautiful it can be, so VanHook's concept of those plastinated corpses coming to life is a brilliant one. I'm normally bored by vampires, but Dimiter's inclusion here actually works well. I was genuinely surprised to see that he was an ally of Batman and I'm intrigued to see how his vampiric bloodlust will play against all these walking pieces of meat.

The real star of this issue, in my eyes, is Tom Mandrake. He inks his own work and there's an impressive versatility to his lines. While he can do tight lines like the best of them, he really shines when he makes the linework get wavy (like when it melts into the rain), creating a truly gothic, sinister vibe. Indeed, his art here, coupled with David Baron's colors, reminded me Steve Bissette and Tanja Wood's seminal work on SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING. Though, the fact that this is set in New Orleans might have a lot to do with that.

The Bad

I don't really have any complaints. Like I said, I'm usually not that interested in vampires, but the team made it work here. 

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Between this and Red Robin #12, this is shaping up to be a good week for Batman fans. If you'd like a no-strings-attached, outside-of-continuity Batman yarn that's got all the creepy vibes of an EC title, then check this all, by all means. Hell, I'd even recommend getting this for Mandrake's wonderfully macabre work alone.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I love Spider-girl and she has been my favorite character for a long time and she is why I like comics so much. Ya she is not the best out there but she even mentions that. Ya she might not be dark like MAX comics but, I do not think that means it is childish. I just think children can read it without asking their mom and dad what exactly some of things mean in the book. I think it could be surprising at times and for reading the series for a long time I have seen many surprises. Spider-girl has a dedicated fan base and I am part of that fan base. So, agree with you on a lot of things I also disagree on a lot of things.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Golden Cod

Am I missing something?   I see a title about Batman and an image of him kicking butt but the review is about Spidergirl?? o_O

jacobtrusty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jacobtrusty
    @Golden Cod:
    hahah same here
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

I thought this was a Batman review? 

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KRYPTON

Is this the continue after Superman and batman vs vampires and werewolfs?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.