Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Volume »

Mini series prequel to the video game of the same title.

Spoiler Alert: Batman: Arkham City #2

tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

Edited By tbone1225

Spoiled: Batman: Arkham Asylum (video game), Batman: Arkham City #2 (comic books) 

This issue is titled "Breaking Ground," and it details the groundbreaking on the militarized zone of Gotham City titled Arkham City by Mayor Quincy Sharp who is currently being controlled by Hugo Strange. 

The entire thing is incredibly predictable. They set up this city within a city as a prison for the undesirables of Gotham, only it's a trap. Batman gets trapped inside just like during the events of Arkham Asylum. And guess what: Joker finds a way to run the place. 

This brings me to another point that I want to emphasize. You can't just have any writer show Joker's thoughts. This was done well in Grand Morrison's Arkham Asylum, but that's because Grand Morrison is one of the best comic book writers on the face of the planet. In Arkham City #2, Joker's thoughts are rational and weak. They are not the thoughts of a criminal mastermind/madman capable of making trouble for one of the greatest detectives of all time. We see a scared Joker and a grateful Joker. 

But the only Joker of interest to me is the Joker who is playing a game, the Joker who is in control, or the Joker who giggles like he has a secret when he's been foiled. 

Basically, everybody already knows where this comic book is going, either because we played Batman: Arkham Asylum, or have seen the trailers for Batman: Arkham City, or because we're not idiots. In the end, it feels like the only purpose of this comic is to show Batman use the same gadgets in a comic book that he used in the video game. If this comic were capable of telling an important story, then that story would have to be retold (almost certainly in a more engaging manner) in the video game. 

Super psyched about the video game. As for the rest of this mini-series, I'm going to read it, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I might like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.