Unscripted Review: Batman And Robin #13

#1 Posted by Sidie (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking about picking this one up, nice video

#2 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with you G-Man, Irving's art distracted me at times. It was appropriate, but there were brief moments where I was popped out of the story.     

Great story though, Grant Morrison is simply fantastic.

#3 Posted by NightFang (9817 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidie said:
" I'm thinking about picking this one up, nice video "
#4 Edited by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

It was not the Heath Ledger Joker as it predated it before the movie by a year at least and in the comic it does say he still has the scars just Frazier Irving's art  (which I loved) doesn't show it allot. I don't think heads being too big should apply as a criticism as it is not his intention to be realistic. 

#5 Posted by MuadDiab (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it. Dick looked way too old though

#6 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue!, and what Damien does in this issue was quite Badass as well!

#7 Posted by Amircat (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing issue, Irving's cover is not the best, but he is perfect for the interiors. Morrison is a genius. 5/5 for sure.

#8 Posted by Jeffmoocow (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue, and is probably my favorite issue of Batman and Robin yet. 

Also I may be in the minority but for some reason I love Irving's art for this story.

#9 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jeffmoocow: @Jeffmoocow said:
"  Also I may be in the minority but for some reason I love Irving's art for this story. "
The art was beautiful indeed.
#10 Edited by longbowhunter (6616 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a great issue. I think my favorite part was when Dick freaked out about Damian being locked in a room with the Joker. Not too many 10 year olds pose an honest threat to the Joker's safety. Irving's art was way better on this than Return of Bruce Wayne #2.
#11 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Jokers has to know: Damian asked him if he was Bruce Wayne when he was wearing that top hat. Why would Robin ask about Bruce Wayne? Plus he was there at RIP. 

Gordon must know already. In fact I believe he knew since the start of Batman and Robin.
The public don't know. They just don't.
Two face must know: He was at the Batcave, he can't be moronic enough not to link the fact that the batcave is just bellow Wayne manor and that Bruce is Rich and mysterious. Also, he knew the Batman around was not the original.

#12 Posted by danhimself (22216 posts) - - Show Bio
@G'bandit:  Joker has known since R.I.P.
#13 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: That's exactly what I meant
#14 Edited by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sidie said:

"I'm thinking about picking this one up, nice video "

Dude you should Batman & Robin and Red Robin are the 2 best Batman ongoings. 
And Simon Hurt is the Devil.
#15 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that I don't like Damian, it's just that he's TEN.  Sure Robin has always been young, but a ten year old bad ass is only a bad ass among other ten year olds.  Unless he's got a gun he's not gonna beat up someone who can fight.  It doesn't take a lot to hurt a ten year old either, one good shot and they're done.

#16 Posted by baker1skter (163 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm defnately going to pick this issue up! i cant belive u missed it in the first place.
#17 Posted by cmaprice (808 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone's entitled to opinion and to aesthetic taste, but I think you guys are so far off-base with Irving. He is brilliant, in regards to this issue or otherwise. 

He is to the current comic medium as Dalí was to 20th Century fine art. Hyperbole? Maybe. Heh. But he's certainly got idiosyncrasies that make him a visual auteur; he is one of the most interesting artists working for the big two at the very least. 

At least there's no risk of Grant Morrison getting scoffs in this review. THAT would have invoked all the fanboys' collective nerdrage. ;) 

Glad this series is still going strong.

#18 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

What's with the tie? Trying to be classy?
#19 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i need to reread RIP.

#20 Posted by Hero_Theresa (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm..want to read the batman and robin comics now.  I did not like how the joker was drawn tho either...but then again, im used to seeing him in graphic novels, so..
#21 Posted by CaptainGenisVell (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Role reversal cover; good timing for 'Under the Red Hood' being released. :)

#22 Posted by buns134 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-man does Morrison hate TIM DRAKE!? never uses him and when he does Damian beats him up!
#23 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

batman and robin will never die !  

#24 Posted by edcerc (10 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty much a perfect issue.  I really like irving, i thought his bruce wayne issue was beautiful but this was insane.  There was maybe one panel where i didn't like how the joker looked, but everywhere else including the panel you showed that you disliked, i actually thought was the best he ever looked. I think his art is very visually pleasing, just cause art comes across as bizarre and gritty to me doesn't mean its not.  As long as art is successful it is beautiful even if its of a decaying corpse.  I really liked how he made hurt's head look so big, it reminded me of aphex twin. There's not much to say about morrison that we don't already know. 

#25 Posted by simonchan (98 posts) - - Show Bio

major thumbs up for this issue*

#26 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Another weird head issue: when Dick is in the bat bunker with Jim there was one panel that bugged me 

Art was still great never the less

#27 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6191 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaptainGenisVell said:
"Role reversal cover; good timing for 'Under the Red Hood' being released. :) "

was just thinking the same thing... I dont believe in coincidances the timing had to have that in mind
#28 Posted by Xion (247 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like the art, it just bugs me even though it does fit the story. The beginning was kinda confusing but im soo looking forwards to read the rest of the arc!

#29 Posted by Nionel (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I really feel that I should be reading this book, and I like Batman, but I'm not reading any Batman books. Hmm...maybe I should starting picking this book up.

#30 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally getting this... To be honest I dropped the title a little bit after the weird zombie Batman appeared... so I am somewha lost here, but I'll get the back issues!

#31 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved. this. issue! it was fantastic! I do really wish that Quitely was doing the art but I really really liked Irving as well, that and Damian is such a BAMF in this issue.
#32 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

I will buy it.

#33 Posted by CombatCraigFM (124 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally hated the art in this issue. Just my opinion but I literally was distracted EVERY page by the art. Now I did love the story and that got me through the issue, but I just couldn't get into the art.

#34 Posted by Korialstrasz (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Art is awful. I hope this artist would never draw this comics anymore.

#35 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue. I had the same problems with the art that G-man had but that was it. I didnt start following batman till battle for the cowl so i didnt know Joker sliced his own face up but i do like that Gordon is catching on. I would kind of like Jim Gordon to see with his own eyes that Bruce and the boys are Batman and the other heroes. It just seems like he should know by now.

I kinda wish they would show more wide views of the new bat layer so we could see how Grayson decorates his own hide out

#36 Posted by emerald_lamp_2814 (630 posts) - - Show Bio

the art was good when it was dark and only when it was dark (I mean in tone) I hated the way he drew Dick without the mask at the beginning and damian throughtout the issue if it was not for Grant Morrison writing I would not have picked up this issue.

#37 Posted by funksk8er (4 posts) - - Show Bio

When G-Man says his rating is a 4.5 I get all excited about the issue but then immediately he proceeds into all the things he doesn't like. It seems like that is how all his reviews go. haha if he rated something a 5...a perfect score...he would still point out all the books flaws. I love it. 

#38 Posted by KevinL007 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

The story in this issue is the best Morrison has written since Batman RIP. I have not been a fan of Morrison's work on Batman and Robin, I think its some of his weakest work, but this issue was awesome. I can't wait to read more. The story was a 4.5 out of 5 for me.

The thing that goes against this is the art. The art is horrible in my opinion. Outside of the character's faces their is no detail to the art. Jim looks like he is 100 years old. Joker looks like his head was placed on a giant black blob. There was no depth to the art. The art was a 0 out of 5. Its to bad that the art was so bad because the story was so good.

Great review!

#39 Edited by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this review a ton!  The art surprised me, as I just can't stand Frazier Irving's art.  It almost makes me want to go back and give Days Missing another chance.  He totally turned me off from reading that story. 

There is a specific mood to this book that still has the feel of Black Glove and R.I.P. and such, but something about Irving's work here really pulls that mood to the next level.  I think that if Kubert or Tan or anyone else from previous issues were on this, it would just feel wrong...and this is the kind of issue that you ABSOLUTELY have to get right. 

I agree with G-Man that Joker looks weird as well as inconsistent with all the events that have happened to him.  Other than that, I think Irving actually makes the best Jim Gordon out there! 

As for Morrison's writing, this is the top of his game...and the reference to Jason Todd...was CLASSIC! 

#40 Edited by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:

" I agree with this review a ton!  The art surprised me, as I just can't stand Frazier Irving's art.  It almost makes me want to go back and give Days Missing another chance.  He totally turned me off from reading that story. 

There is a specific mood to this book that still has the feel of Black Glove and R.I.P. and such, but something about Irving's work here really pulls that mood to the next level.  I think that if Kubert or Tan or anyone else from previous issues were on this, it would just feel wrong...and this is the kind of issue that you ABSOLUTELY have to get right. 

I agree with G-Man that Joker looks weird as well as inconsistent with all the events that have happened to him.  Other than that, I think Irving actually makes the best Jim Gordon out there! 

As for Morrison's writing, this is the top of his game...and the reference to Jason Todd...was CLASSIC! 

"
My FAVORITE scene in comics in SUCH a long time!!!! the framing/panelling was utterly brilliant. 

SPOILER 

My question is does Dick survive the Return of Bruce Wayne?
#41 Posted by Leadcat (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with Babs completely on this review! The art was so perfect for this issue, especially that one Damian scene which was just crazy. 

Best issue of Batman and Robin so far IMO, can't wait to see where it goes from here.

#42 Posted by xxSadisticSmilexx (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one, am peachy that the Joker looked "normal" again compared to what Morrison did to him.  I like my favorite character just a little over the top... not over the top and half way back down.

#43 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

personally i hated the art and i wish they had someone better on it. otherwise i loved the issue

#44 Posted by SoftCoreDave (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got this delivered today, after seeing the cover the interiors bummed me out, the way Irving draws the Joker, in a few of panels it looked like his head was just stuck onto his body. On the good side though Damian was awesome in this issue. Also after waiting for this issue it reminded me how I wished Oberon Sexton had not been the joker.

I seem to be complaining a lot so let me just say I still loved this issue.

#45 Posted by NeoMantis (40 posts) - - Show Bio

This just goes to show how subjective appreciation of art is. Personally I thought Irving's art was brilliant in this issue. I could not think of a single artist I would rather have drawing this story.

#46 Posted by The Cracked Genome (326 posts) - - Show Bio

I just found out today that I actually know someone who was in this issue! The cop who is banging on the door when Damian is "talking" with Joker is a real life person. His name is Harun (I think thats how you spell his name) and he works at one of my local comic shops. Apparently he is friends with the artist.
#47 Posted by teewillis1981 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Right on Babs! I totally agree! This is a 5 out of 5 issue for sure!

#48 Posted by Mr_Wayne69 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I get what you mean G-Man. I'm annoyed by the inconsistency in detail towards the character. Jokers mouth is scarred and he has a bullet wound in his forehead. I wish they'd at least keep that trend going.

And yes there's no guess work involved here: since Year One it's been implied that Jim Gordon knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman (seen with the missing glasses). Morrison (as well as some writers of the past) is more or less touching on that aspect of the Batman/Gordon dynamic (he wouldn't be a very good detective if he didn't know that either). The general public? No. The villains? Yes, Joker DEFINITELY knows. No question about it. He also knows that there's a different Batman under that cowl as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.