Peter Tomasi Teases New Robin - Sort of

• 117 results
Posted by G-Man (33818 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian Wayne is dead. Robin is dead. What does that mean for BATMAN AND ROBIN? We know that the titles are temporarily refocusing with some of the former Robins helping Bruce out. The idea of replacing his own son can't be an easy decision. Yet, if there's no Robin, how can the successful BATMAN AND ROBIN series continue?

IN an exclusive Q&A with the New York Post, Peter Tomasi and DC Comics tease the idea of a new, female Robin. But it might not be all that it seems. Spoilers below for BATMAN AND ROBIN #19.

It seems we're seeing the New 52 introduction of Carrie Kelley, better known as the Robin in The DARK KNIGHT RETURNS future story. But obviously this can't be the same character. Can it?

NY POST: Is this the same Carrie Kelly from 'The Dark Knight Returns' or a New 52 version of her? In other words, is Batman meeting up with an alternate-earth Robin?

PETER TOMASI: It's a New 52 version, but we're staying close to Frank Miller's visual template and personality of Carrie Kelley. She's a college kid who's got spunk and speaks her mind. This is not an alternate-earth Robin, this is simply a girl named Carrie Kelley who we learn knew Damian which in turn weaves her into the fabric of the DC Universe for the first time in 25 years.

It's simply too soon for a new Robin. As Tomasi puts it, "...she's not exactly the 'new Robin." He also mentions he has plans for her that "play well into the future."

Check out the full interview with Peter HERE.

You can also see the full preview for BATMAN AND ROBIN #19 HERE, which also answers a question from issue 18.

Edit: It appears the preview was removed.

Staff
#1 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Tomasi, you had my curiousity, and now you have my attention.

#2 Edited by Ludo (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this is the ultimate WTF.

#3 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been loving Peter Tomasi's B&R and this seems like a pretty neat concept. Count me in.

#4 Edited by mickeymayhew (211 posts) - - Show Bio

like it! anything but Harper Row

#5 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm... Interesting. I was expecting Harper Row to be the next Robin but this is really cool aswell!

#6 Posted by dondave (37241 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm... Interesting. I was expecting Harper Row to be the next Robin but this is really cool aswell!

This

#7 Edited by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda wish they used the Ame Comi design.

Hey, something actually worthy of the phrase: WTF.

#8 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

:O

Me likey.

#9 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

This had better be a joke.

Carrie Kelly is one of the worst characters ever created. Right up there with Hope Summers.

#10 Posted by IronAngelX (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Still think it should be Stephanie Brown

#11 Edited by MaxSchreck (99 posts) - - Show Bio

Could this be just a joke ?

#12 Posted by DDangelico (220 posts) - - Show Bio

Well--if anything would have been WTF certified this surely would have qualified...

#13 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Carrie Kelly is one of the worst characters ever created. Right up there with Hope Summers.

Tell that to Frank Miller who seems to think it is the best character ever created.

#14 Edited by JohnnyJoker28 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Calm down people, she clearly isn't replacing Damian. She's just a girl who knew Damian who, by the preview panel below, dresses up like Robin at a costume party. She's not the new Robin, Peter Tomasi says that in the interview.

#15 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Tell that to Frank Miller who seems to think it is the best character ever created.

The insane guy who thought Batman should fight Al-Qaeda? Ringing endorsement.

#16 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

I don't think you realized I was already knocking Frank Miller for liking the character.

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@doordoor123 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

I don't think you realized I was already knocking Frank Miller for liking the character.

If that's the case, then I just answered cynicism with cynicism, so we both win.

#18 Posted by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Carrie Kelley.

#19 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

WAT.

I'll wait and see how this plays out, but DC's gonna roll out freaking Carrie Kelly before Stephanie Brown?

#20 Edited by BR_Havoc (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnyjoker28: I agree with you that I do not think she will be the new Robin. If she is to become the new one it will not be for like 6 months. This is just a publicity stunt to get more readers for there WTF month. The real question I have is how and why does a college girl of say what 18? maybe 20 know a ten year old boy?

#21 Posted by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

If that's a costume she wore to a party then it's fine, but man does that old costume stick out like a sore thumb with the new designs.

#23 Posted by Burns2k (15 posts) - - Show Bio

would prefer stephanie brown or cassandra caine brought into new 52 instead of her tbh

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

Calm down people, she clearly isn't replacing Damian. She's just a girl who knew Damian who, by the preview panel below, dresses up like Robin at a costume party. She's not the new Robin, Peter Tomasi says that in the interview.

Didn't she originally just dress up as Robin before being taken on properly as his sidekick?

Could happen again.

#25 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

@johnnyjoker28: I agree with you that I do not think she will be the new Robin. If she is to become the new one it will not be for like 6 months. This is just a publicity stunt to get more readers for there WTF month. The real question I have is how and why does a college girl of say what 18? maybe 20 know a ten year old boy?

Read the actual article. You're right; she WON'T be the new Robin. Tomasi pretty much says so.

#26 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@burns2k said:

would prefer stephanie brown or cassandra caine brought into new 52 instead of her tbh

Of course you would...

#27 Edited by Saren (25660 posts) - - Show Bio

#28 Posted by Burns2k (15 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by BR_Havoc (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

Read the actual article. You're right; she WON'T be the new Robin. Tomasi pretty much says so.

Well I did read the article. I was simply giving my opinion something you seem to have an issue with then it does not fall on the same side as yours. The thing about comics and interviews is that its all used to build hype and speculation so I would not be shocked if he is not tell the whole truth here.

#30 Posted by Saren (25660 posts) - - Show Bio

Q: Did you talk to Carrie’s creator, Frank Miller, about this?

Tomasi: Having Carrie Kelly show up is what the New 52 is all about – giving fans the unexpected and exciting. Readers shouldn’t worry. I’m going to take good care of Carrie and we have some great stuff in store for her. We hope Frank enjoys the stories we tell.

So that would be a no, then :)

#31 Edited by wessaari (622 posts) - - Show Bio

WAT.

I'll wait and see how this plays out, but DC's gonna roll out freaking Carrie Kelly before Stephanie Brown?

this is unacceptable, UNACCEPTABLE!!!

#32 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

If there has to be a new Robin I'd rather it be Carrie Kelly now I think it is just a tease and they will not go there.

#33 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6164 posts) - - Show Bio

You just put meaning back in my life thank you.

#34 Edited by JohnnyJoker28 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Very good point. She could very well take up the Robin mantle down the line. I personally liked the dynamic between Carrie and Bruce in Dark Knight Returns. I also really like Harper Row. I'd be okay with either of them becoming the new Robin down the line.

#35 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

#TeamHarper

Anyone else with me?

#36 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

THAT'S IT! Batman will take a page out of Charlie's Angels' book and create a female Robin Trio; Stephanie Brown, Harper Row, and Carrie Kelley.

EVERYBODY WINS.

#37 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickeymayhew: Why does everyone hate Harper Row? I think she'd make an OK Robin or a new member of the Bat Family in some way.

#38 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3816 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh......well I'm mind blown.

#39 Posted by JohnnyJoker28 (17 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by mickeymayhew (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickeymayhew: Why does everyone hate Harper Row? I think she'd make an OK Robin or a new member of the Bat Family in some way.

I don't hate here, I just think she's boring - valiant, gutsy girl *yawn* see it with a million characters before - Damian was different. He was a little s*** and that was new, and different. Now we're back to Tim Drake, only without the boy-bits. Yawn. However, this Carrie Kelly looks more promising.

#41 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm liking this. The Dark Knight Returns was great with it's unique take on Robin. Though it'd be cooler to have Stephanie take up the mantle of Robin once more, this will actually do.

#42 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9052 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited to see Carrie Kelly again, but now we really need to see Stephanie Brown back

#43 Posted by The Stegman (24298 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest...I hated Carrie Kelly, give me Harper Row over her anyday.

#44 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4529 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope sales tank, seriously and Dc is forced to bring back Damian. There is no replacement for him!

#45 Posted by Kneepawn (46 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@doordoor123 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

If that's the case, then I just answered cynicism with cynicism, so we both win.

lolol this. But no. really. I love Tomasi's writing and what he has done to this series so I have faith but my love of Damian Wayne as a character and hate of Carrie might keep me from going into this with an open mind. Stephanie would have been a better option. Maybe then, Tim can stop macking on all the girls in the Teen Titans.

#46 Posted by Omega-Man (762 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a WTF moment if I ever saw it. I hope they draw her better sheesh she looks awful.

#47 Posted by Zereta (78 posts) - - Show Bio

In before we get mentions of Wally West, Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain...

I am kinda psyched by this. Tomasi is killing it on Batman and Robin.

#48 Posted by Z3RO180 (6522 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh dear god no I hate that robin

#49 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

@doordoor123 said:

@br_havoc said:

Well I did read the article. I was simply giving my opinion something you seem to have an issue with then it does not fall on the same side as yours. The thing about comics and interviews is that its all used to build hype and speculation so I would not be shocked if he is not tell the whole truth here.

What? LOL

#50 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhhh WHY?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.