Follow

Batman and Robin

Team » Batman and Robin appears in 3687 issues.

Potentially the best known and popular partnership of heroes in comic books, the dynamic duo is a team comprised of the legendary Batman and his loyal sidekick Robin. The identities of Batman and Robin have varied over time, but the titles have endured.

Batman And Robin #1, Good Comic Or Gimmick?

• 59 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Note: This is the video that was meant to be posted yesterday but we had some technical difficulties.

Something that I haven't made obvious, I'm a big fan of Batman.  Now we have the "death" of Bruce Wayne.  Is this all a gimmick just to get readers riled up and to launch a new series?  We know (most likely) that Bruce will return someday.  What will this new 'era' bring us?  Is it possible that this will be the new status quo?  Remember, there was quite some time when Dick Grayson was Robin.  Eventually he abandoned that identity.  There's no way he'd go back, right?  So maybe this new Batman will be the Batman from now on?  How does this comic rate?

Even though there's been some talk already, this is pretty much a spoiler-free video, and I'm not just talking about Stephanie Brown.

There you go.  That's what I thought.  This is the next chapter.  From the preview at the end, it looks like it's going to be an interesting ride.

No Caption Provided

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yup. Loved the art and loved the book. I posted most of my thoughts in the other thread. Cool vid & review.

Avatar image for the_invinciblewolfman
    the invinciblewolfman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

LOved this!

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EisforExtinction

Dick Grayson is New Coke. The second you like him or the second you think he's going to be around forever he'll be gone. Enjoy it while it lasts. In the mean time I think some really good stories are going to be told.

Avatar image for the_invinciblewolfman
    the invinciblewolfman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also have Been a huge fan of batman forever he is the first character i found and i have always loved him and i think this book will be great!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

BOOM BOOM!
    Yes, I actually watched the video for once.... lunch break...

Now, I haven't read the book yes, I'm picking it up tonight, but the art looks amazing. Morrison's writing rarely lets me down, at least on Batman, and we have a new team. How could you not want to read this if you claim to be a fan of Batman? I'm currently re-reading Knightfall right now, preparing for this book... And like G-Man said, Knightfall was incredibly gimmicky, you knew Jean would only be the Bat for a short amount of time and Bruce would take over again. Right now, Bruce is no where to be seen and I'm almost positive we won't see him for YEARS.

Why do I say this?
    When's the last time a MAJOR hero died in a crisis event?
    Flash: COIE....

How long was he dead for?
    Over 20 years.

Will Bruce be gone for 20 years? No clue, I don't own a Daloreon. What I do know is, is that this is what we have for Batman right now. Why not try and get excited about it? It's a fresh start! I was and am a HUGE Steve Rogers fan, he died, I was a little saddened, but in my opinion, the book is better with Bucky as Cap. I think the same will happen with B&R.

Time will tell.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian

I was glad I decided to grab this one.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I liked Frank Quietly's artwork on JLA: Earth-2. There's a uniqueness to it - like Perez, Jim Lee, Alex Ross - where it stands out and it doesn't look like anyone else's work. I like Phil Jimenez, but his work looks so much like Perez's.

The reason I was going to skip this was that I hadn't really read anything going on in Batman since Hush. I likedHush, I wish it had been made a little more clear that it was Tommy that was Hush. (Spoiler alert: Bruce Wayne's childhood friend, Tommy, is Hush!) The reviews that I had seen of HushBatman, R.I.P. and Battle for the Cowl were not good. And to bring Jason Todd back...And, to have Bruce have a son...

But this is like Wally becoming The Flash at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths, or Kyle becoming the Green Lantern; or Guy becoming Green Lantern; or John Stewart becoming Green Lantern or that Elseworlds story where Bruce becomes Green Lantern like in the Sinestro War...oh, wait, in Elseworlds things happen that probably shouldn't or couldn't happen...and that Sinestro thing was only temporary...

Interesting that Batman and Robin has the banner Batman: Reborn. Following Green Lantern: Rebirth and The Flash: Rebirth...

I think it is a gimmick. A gimmick designed to make Batman and Robin interesting. I guess we'll see how well it works...   

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

In the first "unedited" version of this video, I actually made a long reference to Steve Rogers and Bucky.  I always admired Cap for being able to kick (pretty much) anyone's butt without having superpowers.  When he "died" I was bummed but not pissed.  I'm enjoying the Bucky stories and I'm sure I'll enjoy these "new" Batman ones as well.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Change isn't always a bad thing.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I need to pick this up

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I get to pick it up in 2 more hours when i get off of work

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Decent read.  I've liked Morrisons run on Batman but I kinda miss Bruce.  I recommend people read #666 if you liked the new villain(s).  I don't love the art but I know its supposed to be kind of different. 

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Calvin
    @G-Man: I laught so hard when you tried to explain that Robin calling bruce Batman father was not a give away....

Even tought I never really like much of the character who is now the this new Robin, I really think this new duo can work out really good: One has expirience the other has the brains! - That's a classic team-up. I love the fact the kid is the one who knows how to fix stuff and knows the takes care of everything technical.

I just complain about one thing in this issue, even though it was cool to setup things, I felt that nothing really happens.....
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mattydeNero

I really think that being spoiler free is a bit unecessary now.  Anyone who gives "two" about Bats already knows who the new ROBIN is.  As well as the new Bats.  I'm just saying.(but I'll still refrain)

If anyone has seen the movie Lucky Number Slevin, there's a story told in the beginning of the film giving an explaination of a scenario to what Bruce Willis' character refers to as a "Kansas City Shuffle".  I am feeling that is what Grant Morrison is doing.  Making us look right, when everything is coming from the left.  Us, as readers and fans are too concerned with it not being "the real Batman" when he's eventually going to come back and be better and more brooding than ever.  Morrison was mainly behind the "death" of Bruce Wayne/Batman, and this series right here is probably what's going to bring him back, eventually.

I am not a Batman fan.  I've always been loyal to Superman.  I love superpowers and Supes is, all in all, the greatest superhero on Earth.  However, hardcore Batman fans can say the same thing about Bats, only instead of powers, he's using his noggin to be the greatest hero/detective on Earth.  The reason I say that is because now that we're getting this "fresh" take on Batman, I am loving it.  Up to near the end of R.I.P., I had about had it with the same ol' Batman.  Boring.  Now that there's the new line up, it's great because the readers don't know what in the hell to expect.  Will the new duo be a successful a team?  I think that the new Bats is going to have to prove himself to young Robin IV.

I liked the issue.  I wish Quietly was going to be draw more issues in consession, but three is better than none.  I thought I read somewhere that he would be back for another run down the road but I may have some facts mixed up.  One problem I did have was the lack of dialogue.  For me, with a writer as talented and raved about as Grant Morrison, you'd think he'd give you a lot of good descriptive dialogue.  Not saying the job wasn't done, I just think guys like him and Mark Millar should give us a little more to read with every issue.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheBug

Frank Quitely is incredible. I'm looking forword to this. 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Decept-O

Here's my problem with Frank Quitely's art:   When he draws the faces of the male characters, they all are way too square, and he draws them looking they're bloated, and pursing their lips.   His pencils seem rushed to me, BUT when he draws things like buildings, scenery, vehicles, yeah, pretty good, and the action scenes, yes, real good.

Also, you CAN identify his work because of his style,  I will admit he isn't another Jim Lee or John Byrne clone.  However, is it a good thing? 

Perhaps I am being nitpicky.  

Will I get this one?  I don't know, I'm having a hard time justifying a reason to do it. 

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @mattydee007: I give two bits about Batman and haven't had time to pick up the book yet. My comic store's hours are open during the middle of the workday... Luckily, I have a key to the store....

Many people can't pick up their books until the weekend, or even next week.... Friday is a BIG comic pick up day for many people... At least let the weekend  roll by before the spoiler machine comes out
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr. Wilson

inferiorego said:
    @mattydee007: I give two bits about Batman and haven't had time to pick up the book yet. My comic store's ... [more]

I'm sure you've #666 of Batman correct?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Batman 666 is one of my all time FAVORITE Bat issues... I'm gonna reread it tonight before reading B&R

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    inferiorego said:
    Batman 666 is one of my all time FAVORITE Bat issues... I'm gonna reread it tonight before reading B&R [more]
    I highly recommend that.  ;)
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Mr. Wilson said:
    inferiorego said: Batman 666 is one of my all time FAVORITE Bat issues... I'm gonna reread it tonight before reading ... [more]
    1 hour and 10 minutes until I'm off of work... I'm nerding out....
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

maybe they'll have something like marvels ultimate universe where bruce is still batman.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    reaper2923 said:
    maybe they'll have something like marvels ultimate universe where bruce is still batman.
    Both All Star Series books were supposed to be that. I have no clue what happened though.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mr. Wilson

All Star Batman was the worst peace of garbage.  The tree that was cut for that was a complete waste.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego said:
    reaper2923 said: maybe they'll have something like marvels ultimate universe where bruce is still batman. Both All Star Series books ... [more]

my friend told me that all star batman sucks
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    reaper2923 said:
    inferiorego said: reaper2923 said: maybe they'll have something like marvels ultimate universe where bruce is still batman. Both All Star ... [more]
    your friend was right
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck
    mattydeNero said:
    I really think that being spoiler free is a bit unecessary now.  Anyone who gives "two" about Bats already knows ... [more]
    We do have a Batman Reborn thread for spoiler talk.

And Quitely is only working on a few so the book doesn't fall behind schedule.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Wilson said:
    All Star Batman was the worst peace of garbage.  The tree that was cut for that was a complete waste. [more]

what can you expect from an idiot whose time has passed
    Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tyler Starke

Damien just rubs me the wrong way, I miss tim

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tyler Starke

my only problem I have with the art is the way batman looks

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Psychotime

I love the sound effects. More people need to do that.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Calvin said:
    @G-Man: I laught so hard when you tried to explain that Robin calling bruce Batman father was not a give ... [more]
    There was actually a longer pause in the video that I edited out.  I debated about that but I really wanted to include an explanation as to how they got a flying Batmobile.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngelFrost

I LOVE your little face at 2:39  

=P

Your sooo hot.
    and who is itt? Who's Bats and Robin? I need to know.

I want Steph to be Robin again

=(

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gmanfromheck
    CM9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CM9

I miss the old batman

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LastSon1027

I love the new Batman and Robin, I only picked it up because I wanted to see what it was like so I will probably only get it until the first story is overseeing as how I already get so many books a month.

ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By ArtJoker

Loved It!!! Morrison, Quietly, Batman, and Robin what more could you want?

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mattydeNero
    G-Man said:
    mattydeNero said: I really think that being spoiler free is a bit unecessary now.  Anyone who gives "two" about Bats ... [more]

That's what I figured.  I'd like to see a Frank Quietly DC adaptation of a "Where's Waldo" puzzle.  Call it, "Where's Batman?"
    Jade1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jade1977

I hope that Dick stays as Batman, and Tim should be Robin instead of that little brat Damien.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40  Edited By DMC
    The reason Bruce is dead was to create this new series, to bring back the "Caped Crusader" Batman though Dick Grayson. You can't do that with Bruce Wayne, not anymore. Bruce is all about the "Dark Knight" the warped and disturbing aspect of the character, Batman at his core.

DANA-NANA-NANA-NANA-NANA-NANA-NANA-NANA-BATMAAAN!!!       (sorry I had to do that)
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gmanfromheck

I thought my rating would answer the question I posed...

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42  Edited By DMC
    G-Man said:
    I thought my rating would answer the question I posed...
    just though you wanted our personal opinions   : D
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Grendel

Is that Dr. Hurt?

Morrison brings back Charlie Caligula, and I'm a fan for life.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By zombietag

ok intro music

shortymac47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shortymac47

i havent read this yet, but I liked the video and will probably pick up the comic.

G-man love the shirt, is it from the blink album or just a shirt with the slogan?

shortymac47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shortymac47

also i dont think that they toned batman enough, it likes like a slightly muscular man from what i have seen. Another thought that i have is that tim said he woul leave town, so i think that he will become nightwing or red robin. However when bruce does eventually show his face and probably become the bat again damian will stay robin dick will become nightwing and tim will be red robin, thats just my thoughts.

shellbell60613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shellbell60613

Absolutely right!  5 out of 5.  Fresh new Dynamic Duo..I do miss Bruce though, but these two will pull it off perfectly.

The art work is fantastic, it feels like a mix of the old with the new.  Can't wait for the next issue!

Arach-Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Arach-Knight

Thought the issue was fun.  Thought Battle for the Cowl was largely crap, but this series has the makings to be good.  My only hope for it is that they give it a chance to run.  Eventually they'll bring Bruce back.  They will.  I just hope that they wait a few years though instead of just dumping him back in there when Batman 3 comes out.

Do we know yet what the heck happened to Tim?  Are we supposed to be guessing that he's Red Robin?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I read it last night... 5 out of 5

I love the new character ripped straight out of Will of the Wisp...

Awesome stuff.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Joe Venom

Sorry guys but I do not think this issue deserves a 5 out of 5, granted I did love Damian he did just what I expected him to do, but Nightwing really needs  to step up his game, he is more than ready to be batman, so  their is no reason he should be doubting himself. Its was more like a 4 out of 5 once u wear the cowl u shouldn't question it, loved the artwork by the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.