k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

As a Batman fan, seeing Bruce Wayne step into a brand new armor is almost always treat. Over in Scott Snyder in Greg Capullo'sBATMAN, we just witnessed the Dark Knight wear something that allowed him to defeat some of the most powerful Justice Leaguers and, as expected, it was fantastic. Here in BATMAN AND ROBIN, Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason are giving us something that allows the Caped Crusader to take on the forces of Apokolips and unleash all kinds of hell. If you're not a fan of seeing Batman act like an unstoppable badass, go spend your $2.99 elsewhere (also, how awesome is it this title's still only $2.99?). For everyone else, you're in for some moments that'll make you want to cheer.

Tomasi previously promoted this story by saying, "Pat and I really wanted to kick the doors off and it is action time." Man, he wasn't kidding. Even during one scene of exposition (Kalibak talking to goons), there's still someone getting blasted. It's just craziness after craziness and it's all so thrilling. Even when he's at his most vulnerable, Batman's driven and shockingly tough. He'll stand for zero nonsense and won't slow down until he saves his son. Not even an army will hinder him; it's great. And, even when you think he's completely lost it, you still see he can keep control of the mission and has a plan. Some may say Batman's acting a little out of character at times, but can you really blame him after all he's been through after Damian's death?

Right now, Barbara Gordon, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake kind of feel like they're just along for the ride, but it's Titus and Cyborg who really bring more to the story. Titus is the heart and Cyborg is there for story. Not only is Cyborg critical for the plot, but he gets one very cool moment to unleash. I would have loved to see what Gleason could have done with that scene if it was given a bigger panel, but it's still solid. As someone who's been with this book since the first issue, having Titus along for the ride just fills me with happiness. Seeing the dog leap into action makes me want to exclaim, "YEAH, TITUS!" and the look on his face as he meets Bruce is heartwarming.

If you're going to pull off an "I'm Batman!" it needs to send chills down the reader's spine and remind us why so many fear and respect this hero. The dialogue leading up to the famous line felt a little forced, but if you hear Batman's dialogue in Kevin Conroy's voice, it's sure to be an awesome moment for you, especially given the odds he's facing. A little forced, sure, but it absolutely made me smile. This story really feels like one big love letter to Batman's formidability. Oh, and that ending? Who else really wants the issue right now?!

Tomasi dishes out a fast-paced script that's full of madness and the art team (artist Patrick Gleason, inker Mick Gray, colorist John Kalisz) grabs us by the shoulders and then throws us right into all of the action-packed insanity. There's some angles that really sell just how cool the scene is (e.g. Batman plowing through a ship and zooming past a moon) and they continue to make the Dark Knight look terrifying in this new armor. As said above, it would have been neat if the big moment with Cyborg was given more space, but the layouts complimented everything else incredibly well. This is story that's loaded with a sense of urgency and intensity and each panel does a thorough job bringing the twisted nature of Apokolips and Batman's determination front and center. Tomasi's script is racing ahead and this art team has no problem keeping up with the pace and dishes out some very satisfying panels. These visuals are every bit as badass as the script.

The Bad

Batman seemingly destroyed a ship -- an attack which sent goons plummeting back to the surface -- but he can guarantee there were no fatalities? That seems a little hard to swallow, but maybe I'm selling the durability of these characters short. Also, I thought having the Robin symbols reflecting on his mask was great, but the reveal of them holding the symbols instead of standing with them in place felt like the gesture was a little much; almost like it was something they prepared in advance. It would have been just as effective if they were still on their armors and that's what Batman focused on. As for the story, this is basically pure action and just a wee bit of heart. It's looking like the really unforgettable material will be in the next issue.

The Verdict

This chapter is called "Chaos" and it most definitely lives up to its title. This one's incredibly fast-paced and refuses to slow down. It's non-stop excitement as we see Batman being seriously intimidating and formidable and then the story ends on a note that'll make you wish you could see what happens next right away. Everyone on the creative team is really going all-out to produce a story that's a total blast. If you want to see Batman completely unleashing and overcoming every single threat that's put in his way, you need to read this series. Seriously, it's pretty much one big and totally thrilling action scene.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Still enjoying this book :) I don't get why people complaint about this book

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@k4tzm4n Batman is a total badass! So in the space of a week he's taken down Superman, Glorious Godfrey, Kalibak and a small army from Apokolips!! Not too shabby!!!

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebhramabull: you read Batman /Superman issue 16 written by Greg Pak this week. Great team up and partner of Superman and Batman. Go check it out

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stellar issue. With the new Batgirl direction I find it weird seeing her in a story like this. Can't see the new version of babs ditching class for such an epic story.

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asjmooney: i can see that. I dont see any reason why she wouldn't

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woohoo! Go, Batman!

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this might be the best batman suit ever

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Love this series, looking forward to this issue

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I pick up this title at any chance of seeing Jason and Tim

This was pretty kickass

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pick up this title at any chance of seeing Jason and Tim

I flipped through it at the store, Jason seems to do nothing except be on the cover.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: It's true, he doesn't do much.

He does have some fantastic quips though

And I love seeing him drawn by Gleason

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be the one to defeat Darkseid in the next issue. Just kidding, we all know Titus will!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@slade_wilson said:

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be the one to defeat Darkseid in the next issue. Just kidding, we all know Titus will!

Jason would oneshot him if Tyrion was writing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be satisfied until I see batman fight darkseid

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Of course Titus will, was that ever up for debate?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fil123 said:

this might be the best batman suit ever

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best Batman issues in New 52!

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gracetrack

I think we've found the story for Taken 4.

*Bruce Wayne to Darkseid: "I will find you. And I will almost but not quite kill you."

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wow, wow, and WOW!! This issue was amazing. I'm loving being a Batman fan right now. Snyder and Tomasi are awesome. I hope they never go away. Buccellato and Manapul were awesome on their first arc in Detective as well. Batman Eternal has been amazing too. Just wish they would've saved End Game for after Eternal was over. Seeing the words "the events of this story take place after Batman Eternal" at the beginning of Batman 35 kind of ruined some of Eternal for me. Other than that one minor complaint, I'm loving everything Batman in comics right now. Robin Rises has been awesome so far, and I hope it continues that way.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@guerraa: I agree with everything you said.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.