decoyelite's Batman and Robin #23.1 - A Tale of Two Faces review

• decoyelite wrote this review on .
  • decoyelite has written a total of 36 reviews. The last one was for City of Fear
  • This review received 7 comments

Heads save Gotham, Tails make her bleed

SPOILERS almost certain to be in this review. So I'm checking out all the villain month titles and now it's time for Two-Face to shine. Heads this story is great, tails it's terrible. FLIP THE COIN!

The Good:

Something I've been noticing about these villain month titles is that they tend to get the villains actual character down pretty well and this issue is no exception. Two-face is as Two-Face as Two-face gets. We get a really nice look at how his personal brand of logic works and it's pretty interesting stuff, I really think this issue gets the dual nature of the character down. The art is also very well done, with lots of images that stress the duality of Two-Face as a character, really good stuff.

The Bad:

So the actual plot of this issue while not terrible feels pretty weak to me. It's mostly about Two-Face going around in circles and I felt that kind of bog things down. It didn't really go anywhere and I was left wondering what the point of the story really was. Also more D list killings, although it was more of E list here.

Overall:

Despite the pointless feel of the plot the issue itself is still entertaining enough and I'd certainly recommend it to Batman fans or people looking to find a solid Two-Face story. Really if you were on the fence about this one, check it out just in case.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

Does anybody else thing that all the Villains Month covers look really weird? It's like they just tacked on the hero as an after thought.

Posted by DecoyElite

Yeah I don't get why the heroes are randomly in the background. Although apparently there's 3D variants of the issues which is why there's some much random perspective stuff going on.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ah maybe that's why they look weird. Out of the books you'v read so far, have the heroes been in any of them?

Posted by DecoyElite

@jonny_anonymous: Outside of flashbacks, no. Batman's absence is actually plot related in this one.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review. I personally enjoyed this story a bit more than you, but I get your point of going in circles. I however felt that the darkness of this story, with the small fun element, and how it showed Two-Face's characteristics perfectly was brilliant.

Posted by DecoyElite

@johnkmccubbin91: Honestly looking back I think I should have given it 4 stars. Sure it didn't have much of a point(or so I thought when I read it) but it's still one of the best Two-Face stories I've ever read.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@decoyelite: Yeah it is one of the better Two-Face stories for a while at least.