inferiorego's Batman and Robin #22 - Dark Knight vs. White Knight: Tree of Blood, Conclusion review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Batman and Robin #22

The conclusion of Dark Knight vs. White Knight: Tree of Blood! Can Batman and Robin take down the villain who is attacking the relatives of some of Gotham City's greatest criminal minds?

The Good

I wasn't too into the first two parts of this story, while I felt the storyline was interesting, that character didn't move me. However, everything really comes together nicely in this last issue. There's a great motive behind this new villain, and his final plans and back story are a great read. What we actually have a classic revenge story of a man was done wrong, and he wants an eye for an eye.

Better yet, I'm loving the growing dynamic between Dick and Damien in this book. It's a great father/son relationship, even though you may think it should be more of a brother dynamic. It's two men (Dick and Alfred) trying to send this highly trained killer, in a boys body, down the right path. It's almost like they're trying to get Damien to unlearn everything the League of Shadows has taught him. Pure awesomeness.

The Bad

The only real problem I have with this issue is that I just didn't enjoy the first two parts of this story, so I obviously wasn't too excited to read part three. But obviously, I turned my opinion around.

Great conclusion to this story! Our of all the Batman books you can choose from, this and Detective Comics are what you should be reading. The writing and art are top notch, and I'm loving the father/son relationship that Damien and Dick have. If you like Batman, but you're not reading this book, I think you're crazy... literally crazy. This may be a terrible jumping-on point, but screw it, you'll love the issue anyway.
Posted by longbowhunter

Posted by inferiorego
@longbowhunter said:
" I really loved this whole arc. I agree #22 was the standout issue of the three though. I cant help but think this is a Batman story that'll stick with me for along time Even with my questionable memory. "
I may reread the arc again because this issue was so good
Staff
Posted by The Mighty Monarch

Not only that, but the covers of the first 2 issues were so 'meh' but this one had a fantastic cover.

Posted by carnivalofsins00

I loved this issue. But towards the end, it just seemed to wrap things up kind of fast.

Posted by B'Town

I have been loving this Batman and Robin book from day one.  It is sooo twisted.  I also like the relationship between Damian and Dick.  Some people don't enjoy this kid but I do, I think this warped kid will give the really great writers some of their best books, if they work it and don't dumb it up.

Thanks for the review!
Posted by JonesDeini
@B'Town:
I wish Tomasi stayed on this book forever, he managed to make me not want to see the little prick die a new and horrible death on every page he's featured on.
@JonesDeini:
is he off the book from here on out? :(
Posted by The Mighty Monarch
@SmoothJammin said:
" @JonesDeini: is he off the book from here on out? :( "
We'll see once the August solicits are up. All we know for now is that Judd Winick's writing the next arc with Guillem March on art duties, but we don't know anything after that atm.
Posted by Primmaster64

Next : Jason.

Posted by B'Town
@JonesDeini said:
" @B'Town:
"
Yeah, and now I love that little prick.  :)
@Primmaster64 said:
"Next : Jason. "

You know funnily i am actually excited for that,Winick's mischaracterization is something which i'll keep complaining about till as long as i read comics.But he still adds drama and good action scenes.Much better than the dull,uninspiring road this book has gone towards ever since Morrison left.
@entropy_aegis:
@SmoothJammin said:
"@entropy_aegis: I liked lost days so I'm stoked for Winick jumping on the book but I don't think it's been all that bad since morrison left. Cornell gave us some decent filler and this last 3 issue arc has been a joyride "

Tomasi for some reason never appealed to me,he writes a good Dick but i find his writing to be bland.Winick can get some emotion outta me(albeit negative) so atleast he's doing one part of his job right LOL.
@entropy_aegis:
which writers do you follow?
@SmoothJammin said:
"@entropy_aegis: which writers do you follow? "

Bat books? i would say Morrison and Daniel.I find Scott Snyder underwhelming too.

Other reviews for Batman and Robin #22 - Dark Knight vs. White Knight: Tree of Blood, Conclusion

Dim the Lights 0

The way the writers infused into this arc story so many action, good dialogues, the ambivalence of the concepts of Darkness and Light, the morality of saving every life - even a criminal´s and his family, the embedded discussion of eugenics and preemptive murder, allied with the awesome duo that Grayson and Damian make (with the competent help of Alfred), made this three issues one of the best things I´ve ever read in DC - since I´m not a Batman fan, I consider this to be a great experience and ...