tomlikesfries's Batman and Robin #15 - Little Big Man review

A visit to the Zoo

As you may know, for the last two issues we saw Batman and Robin fighting "zombies" controlled by the Saturn Club. Both numbers weren't quite satisfying, and I was actually happy to see the arc coming to end and a death of the family tie-in in the next issue. Unfortunately the crossover was very disappointing.

In the first six pages we see Damian trying to find the Joker. Those were the very few nice moments of the comic. Tomasi is really creating a positive portrayal of Robin. Well, not really. I mean, he disobeys Bruce all of the time, but what I meant is that he is making me like Damian more and more with this series. He characterizes the boy correctly, by delivering an arrogant Robin. Anyway, his investigation leads to the Gotham Zoo. As soon as he gets there he fights hyenas, which isn't really one hell of an action scene, or what I'd call an intriguing battle. It's a short and alright fight, but to be honest, it was one of the highlights of the issue. Right after the fight, Damian gets caught by the Joker. And that, folks, is when things get bad. Throughout the rest of the whole damn issue all we see is boring dialogue between the deadly clown and the 10 years old kid. The speeches managed to bore me, and, to be honest, while I was reading I just wanted the issue to end and go read something else. Joker suffers strong and correct characterization, as Tomasi delivers a deadly clown. You'll be surprised after seeing what he does to Damian.

The artwork is pretty good and probably the highest point of the issue. The work on Joker's face is truly fantastic. However, the pecilling can, sometimes, be really inconsistent. I mean, take a look at this:

Lol, that's Alfred. Seriously, am I the only one who thinks he looks funny? As soon as I opened the comic and saw that I really laughed. I mean, his head looks like an onion.

Overall, this was a mediocre issue. Most of it is just boring dialogue that will... bore you. I think you can skip the tie-in and start picking up the series again once a new arc starts.

Posted by batnight

Starting at page 8, every page and even every panel, the joker continues to be a nightmare, now more so with this issue. The artwork used on jokers face is perfect IMO.

Posted by BatWatch

Wow! That is a horrible Alfred. Didn't even notice that atrocity.

I actually felt the exact opposite about this issue as you did. I thought the part where Damian tracked down Joker was just typical, but once he actually found the Crown Prince of Crime, that was when things became awesome. I loved the dialogue between Joker and Damian, and I felt that Tomasi managed to pack a lot of feeling into an issue focusing on two characters without much of a past. I very much enjoyed it...but the giant egg annoyed me.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

Posted by tomlikesfries

@BatWatch: You are right. There was nothing special in seeing Damian tracking down Joker, but I was really bored with the dialogue, so the those first pages were the best ones in my opinion. Batman and Robin has seen better days.. And the site's looking good mate :D

Posted by BatWatch

@tomlikesfries said:

Thanks Tom. I enjoyed the dialogue, but to each their own.