Batman #8

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Last issue Batman managed to find his way back to the Batcave. The Court of Owls have made their next move. Poor Batman never gets a chance to rest.

The Good

Comic book stories often are cyclical. We see the heroes involved in a big epic battles and then they usually get some time off. There's moments we get some "quiet time" in order to gain a little insight or see some character development. With Batman barely escaping being trapped by the Court of Owls, he did get a little time to recover. But Scott Snyder is making sure the action continues to be at the forefront as the Court makes their next move.

If you've seen the cover (and the final page), you know the Court is indeed making their next move. It won't be Batman fighting them this time but Bruce Wayne…sort of.

What's great about the action here is there's a slight slow build. That's not meant to sound like it could be boring. It's quite the opposite. As you see each event unfold, the entire situation becomes more and more intense. There's also something to be said about seeing Bruce Wayne in action. We all know that Batman has moves but whether it was because we're seeing Bruce perform them, it almost felt like he had some new ones. Bruce may be at a disadvantage against the number of Talons the Court sends but at least he gets to fight on familiar territory.

Of course the crazy action is made so much sweeter with Greg Capullo's art cramming the action in your face. You can feel the intensity of each scene and I feel like Greg must go through a lot of pencils in bringing all the action to life.

As things heat up, we're left with a cliffhanger ending. What makes this issue even better is there is a back up story by Snyder and James Tynion IV with art by Rafael Albuquerque. It's not just a regular back up story, it's a continuation where the cliffhanger left off. Instead of having to wait a month, we get an immediate answer to 'what happens next.'

The Bad

The question I would have is how much time has gone by between the end of issue 6 and this one. Batman was missing for quite some time, at the mercy of the Court. He barely managed to escape and make his way back to the Cave. While he's still in the recovery stage, he is attacked by several Talons at the same time. But he is Batman after all.

The Verdict

Can Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo continue the consistent level of storytelling they've been doing since the "New 52" started? The answer is, "Of course!" If you think back to the old Batman stories, there's usually been a common theme. Many of the stories and storytelling have been similar. With Snyder, the presentation, storytelling and overall presentation has been varied from issue to issue. You might think you know where the story is going to go but Snyder manages to throw curve balls at you each time. The fact that it's Bruce Wayne taking part in the action rather than Batman adds another different element to the story. Capullo gives the art duties his typical furious vigor that adds the icing to the cake that Snyder delivers each month. There is a big cliffhanger at the end but to make it all even sweeter, this issue contains a back up by Snyder and James Tynion IV with art by Rafael Albuquerque. More Batman story with Snyder can only make a good thing even better. The Night of the Owls begins here and seeing the pieces all begin to fall into place is a glorious sight.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ravisher

cant wait!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

That's one awesome variant cover 

and I can't wait to get this and the other NOO tie ins

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Or35ti

Can't wait to read this!! :D

kaleb2470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kaleb2470

As usual with this title the regular cover is actually better than the variant.

loganchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By loganchild

i think these are the worst threat tha bat family has ever faced Nightwing was supposed 2 be a talon awsome they've been hunting waynes 4 ever badass but doe anyone know how joker tearing off his face thing end

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

I really dont mind paying the $3.99 when I'm getting 30 pages of story and a back up with Rafael Albuquerque art. Another killer issue, but then again did you expect anything less?

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordecaix7

Rushing to my local comic shop to pick this up and Nightwing #8 immediately after work! Been looking forward to this!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

This issue was f**king awesome.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#10  Edited By Cavemold

Awesome issue , the back up was ok

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Amazing issue, I was worried for Alfred and it's not often a comic book can get me worried about a death of a character also the part when he puts out the call was awesome 

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

This issue, oh my god this issue, oh my god this issue, this issue, this issue right here, oh my god this issue, this issue was A_M_A_Z_I_N_G. Do you hear me, do you understand the letters I am typing on this screen, do you get that this issue, oh my god this issue, oh my freakin god this freakin issue was so goooooooooood, so incredibly good this issue was, that oh my god this issue, oh my god this issue, goddamn this issue made my year

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LumpOfCole

I know Nolan is done after Dark Knight Returns, but man do I want to see his take on the Night of Owls. This feels legendary to read.

MorlockMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MorlockMartyr

That's great and all, but RED HOOD is the best one outta all of these, and it's a darn shame y'all ignore it.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sinestro_GL

Am I the only one who, as reading this issue, felt that this is going to be something extraordinary?

McClintick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McClintick

Batman has never been pushed this far, his broken back by band takes a backseat to how far the court of owls is pushing Bruce. This story you see Batman so shaken but he is pulling together out of willpower alone and that fact that he is so rattled makes every page more intense then the comic team even expected

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mbembet

overrated book! Tomasi/Gleason Batman and Robin is much better series! it won't be long until snyder turns into asshole like geoff johns

MEATBALLIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MEATBALLIN

@sinestro_GL said:

Am I the only one who, as reading this issue, felt that this is going to be something extraordinary?

I've been getting that feeling more and more as this arc has gone on, shit just got real and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ravisher

omg that was the best!

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By bloggerboy

@sinestro_GL:

You're not the only one!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BatteredArmor

@MorlockMartyr said:

That's great and all, but RED HOOD is the best one outta all of these, and it's a darn shame y'all ignore it.

Eh this months issue of RHATO was alright, but this months issue of Batman was jaw dropping

BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BransonHuggins

This arc has proven one thing, Batmans greatest enemy is Batman himself.

This run has been amazing though, by far the stand out of the new 52 (along w/ Swamp Thing and Animal Man) by far. What is interesting is where this is going to go. Obviously, as we have seen by the cover to the upcoming Annual Batman will be attempting to get the aid of Mr. Freeze, which totally makes sense considering the Talons blood issues; but how willing is Freeze going to be to work with Bats?

Also, if you look at what was established in Gates of Gotham, the Court obviously is going to have some issues with Cobblepots and the Elliots. Does this mean that Penguin and Hush are going to get involved? It would be interesting to see if Batman has to team up with his enemies in order to compete with the Court. Then again, I don't think that is what Snyder is going for here. Batman is broken, more broken then I believe anyone has made him. Yes, Bane broke his back, and pushed him to his limits, but he never broke him like this. This has shaken the very faith he had in Gotham, and that is something that is not going to come back easily.

We have seen Bats ego get him in trouble before, more often then not it's understandable why he would think the way he does, and it makes sense that he would write the Court off as a fairy tale, they never gave him real reason to believe they existed, at least past the end of the 19th Century. But at the same time, the hints and clues have been there. For him to have missed them, he clearly over estimated his own skills. Now, I know we all know this, but I believe this is important in this new 52, it's showing us that no, Batman is not the best there is, not anymore, there is always going to be someone slightly better, slightly ahead. The question now is, how does he catch up, and how does he stop them. Looking forward to having these questions answered.

BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BransonHuggins

@MorlockMartyr:

Seriously? Have you been reading any of Snyders work in the New 52? Sorry, but Red Hood pales in comparision. Not an attack on you, but all Lodbell nows how to do is cater to fan boys.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By dernman

Loved the Arc. Admittedly I was a bit put out that there were so many Talons but it has turned out great. 
    Still not sure about this healing immortal thing though.

BatBen9135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BatBen9135

Did anyone else get chills in "the Call" when Batman told Alfred, "Call the family." This is such a fantastic arc; it's a good time to be a Batman fan.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By noj

@BransonHuggins:

If you look at the hit list that Alfred pulls off of the Talon's drive near the end of the issue you can see that Victor Fries is one of their targets, so I imagine that is how he'll be getting involved. Plus I think its VERY likey the Penguin will get involved since it seems that he was also another target on the list.
    sswang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sswang

This issue is amazing! Is there a rating higher than five-star?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

Some of the posters here need to read some more non Snyder Batman stories,Batman has'nt ever been pushed like this? gimme a break.No Mans Land and RIP folks,and it does'nt even come close to Knightfall.They actually planned on getting rid of him there but only relented because of the fans.Bruce will be perfectly fine after this one.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Saren

The Talons are probably going after Freeze because his specialty is their big weakness.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis

@LumpOfCole said:

I know Nolan is done after Dark Knight Returns, but man do I want to see his take on the Night of Owls. This feels legendary to read.

There's like a whole list of proven Batman stories waiting to be adapted and you want a story which has'nt been concluded? a story with generic villains who wear the same costumes,have a predictable gimmick and say the same lines over and over? a story where the villains have zero depth ,zero distinguishable characteristics and no motivation

Seriously what differentiates Talon A from Talon B or Owl leader 1 from Owl leader 2? NOTHING.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

The Talons are probably going after Freeze because his specialty is their big weakness.

Yeah cause Freeze is the only one who has ice based powers,LOL.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deadpool25mm

Great issue 5/5!! but the only thing that looked weird was: why so many came to kill bruce ? I mean they didnt know he is Batman.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Emperorb777

Idk why I feel like Owlman gonna return

sswang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sswang

@deadpool25mm: They do!

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deadpool25mm

@sswang: they knew after they came in his house but why so many came to begin with?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.