no_name_'s Batman #705 - Eye of The Beholder, Part Two: See No Evil review

The Bat and Bird Chase

Batman #705 is written and penciled by Tony Daniel and continues the story we saw in issue #704 with part two of "Eye of the Beholder."

The Good

What did I enjoy? Well, it's a good staring point if you haven't been reading Batman, and demonstrates early on that you need not have read the last issue/first part of this new story arc to understand the second part. In this new story, Batman ( Dick Grayson) has encountered a mysterious young heroine ( Peacock) facing off against Sensei. Dick quickly resolves to aid Peacock in the rescue of her brother Luki. If you're a fan of Dick Grayson as Batman, then you'll really appreciate this issue because he is the only Batman in this Batman comic. If you enjoy Batman dishing out witty commentary and a sense of humor, then you're sure to love this.

The Bad

I should get this out of the way first; I'm not crazy about Dick Grayson as Batman. I feel like he's not as good or interesting as Bruce Wayne. I also have a really hard time getting comfortable with the idea that Batman is telling really bad jokes through that cape and cowl- and there's a lot of joke telling in this issue; maybe a little too much. But this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Batman insists on following around this Peacock character even though she refuses to reveal to him what Sensei wants with her brother Luki. I understand that this tactic of having the "Bat" chase the "Bird" could be to create drama and suspense, but it kind of makes Batman look silly. Would Batman really agree to help a complete stranger when he knows nothing about her? I'm not convinced.

Another thing that really bothered me (and maybe I am nit-picking) but there is a scene where Peacock notes that this Batman "isn't the actual Batman." So...she knows this how? Was there a moment somewhere in Batman's history where she and Batman became well acquainted and I just missed it? How does she know what the actual Batman would sound and act like?

The Verdict- 2 out of 5

I hate to say this, but this didn't feel like a Batman comic to me. I felt there may have been too many jokes and plot holes, but like I said, it's not a bad jumping on point, especially if you dig Dick as Batman.
Posted by longbowhunter

Its a shame Batman's flagship title sucks so bad right now. I gave up on this book months ago. Tony Daniel's work on Battle for the Cowl was excellent. This book just isnt on par with that.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

I would think Batman would logically side with anyone when they are opposed to Ra's Al Ghul's father Sensei. And it's still a child that is being kidnapped.

And Peacock knows he's not the real Batman because SENSEI SAID SO. ON PAGE 2.

Posted by JonesDeini
@The Mighty Monarch:
That he did. But you've got to wonder how she's so sure? How can she verify that sans having any intimate knowledge of Batman. When there on the run she reveals her limited knowledge of "Batman" when she stalks about the Batmobile in an urban legend kind of way. I mean her comment about him talking like an adolescent? I think Dick would sound like a grown ass man at his age. Not to mention it's not to big a leap to assume he's learned to mask his voice to imitates Bruce's "Bat Voice". So how's she so sure?I also agree with Bab's that this is a plot hole. I also feel that they escaped a bit too easily from Sensei (who pushed Bruce to the limit in Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul) and his expertly trained assassins. I do agree with you when you say that Batman would naturally side with the enemy of his enemy and a child being in danger would motivate him to cooperate with her. Also I'm sure he's going to be keeping his eyes wide the whole time and gathering clues, being a detective and all. So even if she doesn't provide info, Batman being Batman's sure to get it

I guess with this run you either are a fan of Dick as Batman or you're not. That ultimately will determine how you react to the main title from here on out. I too would've liked to see Bruce return but I've grown used to Dick being around and I'll always like the character, no matter what costume he's in. If you're looking for a Bruce Wayne story here then you're going to be disappointed. Daniel definitely gives Dick's Batman a very distinct voice and feel. Dick has his own methods and approach to the role of Batman and I for one do enjoy it. Though I can see the side of those who don't.
Posted by Frobin

A long time Batman had been the only DC title next to JLA that I've read - but I droped all Batman titles when Bruce Wayne died (bad idea).

I really wait for great Batman titles, but it seems the time isn't ripe now.

Since Justice League of America is weak (or at best: average) too, I'm really glad that Green Lantern is a good book at the moment (the only DC title I read now - next to JLA which I buy (I collect the series), but not really read).

Posted by No_Name_
@The Mighty Monarch said:
And Peacock knows he's not the real Batman because SENSEI SAID SO. ON PAGE 2. "
Posted by The Mighty Monarch
@Babs said:
" @The Mighty Monarch said:
And Peacock knows he's not the real Batman because SENSEI SAID SO. ON PAGE 2. "
Yeah, so? So if Sensei told her to jump off a bridge would she do it? Just because Sensei claimed this isn't the "actual" Batman, Peacock takes his word as truth? Peacock hasn't had enough (or ANY for that matter) one on one time with the "actual" Batman to judge for herself whether or not this Batman is the real deal. That's the problem.  "
Sensei may be evil, but it's clear that he's quite intelligent, and really wouldn't have a reason to lie about that. And maybe it could also be because I-Ching referred to him as "This young Batman" which seems to indicate that he is a different Batman than the original, plus I think I-Ching may have more experience dealing with Batman and may have told Peacock, but in the end, I guess you do have a point.
Posted by Tyler Starke

Tony daniel's art is freaking awesome, his stories lately haven't been, He seems to like making batman's villains have surrogate daughter sidekicks, first catwoman and now riddler ? wtf is wrong with him stop screwing around and get to some cool stuff, his story is boring the hell out of me.

Posted by thatlad

I saw the preview from this and didn't Sensei say aloud it wasn't the same Batman he had a run in with at nanda parbat?? Wouldn't Peacock pick it up from there?

This review come across like babs has a problem with Dick more than anything, I'd be disappointed if the writer changed Dick's persona to fit the Batman persona. That to me would be wrong, yes it's not Bruce but it's been a long time now since Bruce headed up this book. Let's move on

Posted by carnivalofsins00

good thing Detective Comics is so good, it kinda makes up for this.

Posted by alphamale73
@thatlad: agreed!
Posted by kungnima

Just read this issue, and I agree with you.
Dick Grayson feels kind off like Spider-Man in this comic..