entropy_aegis's Batman #5 - Face the Court, Part Two review

• entropy_aegis wrote this review on .

Batman RIP all over again

So where do I start?

Good:

The art,it was amazing.I divided the score between the art and the writing.The art gets 2.5/2.5, I would recommend this issue simply for the art,I just cannot do it justice with words.It has to be seen,simply superb.

Bad:

Um...can I say everything else? I don't see what the fuss is about.I have read this,more than once in RIP,Cult,Knightfall etc.So I fail to understand why people go ahead and say this is unlike anything they've ever read.Batman was horribly OOC.There was no forward direction,I learned nothing new about the Court,other than the fact that they lured Batman in to a trap and drugged him(which happens in like 95% of the Batstories).But where it really felt flat was Bruce's monologue.The guy just spent one week HIDING...WTF? and then he goes around telling us he's unstoppable and that he knows everything about Gotham and that's why he'll stomp the Court BLAH,BLAH,only to get suckered at the end.The last page was great though,whether it was a hallucination or real I have no idea and that's why it was so good.I'm giving it 1/2.5 for that page alone.

Overall it was a nice artistic experiment,but we've been there and done this before more than once and dare I say better.

Verdict:

3.5/5.Pick it up,but don't pretend as if Snyder just reinvented the wheel or something.

Posted by mbembet

i agree. snyder is got but a little bit overrated i hope he won't become like geoff johns

Posted by FadeToBlackBolt

Finally, a decent review.

Posted by lemontron

I think this is still a good issue by itself, but you're right about the lack of plot development and Batman's all too quick turn to madness. Great review.

Posted by daredevil21134

QFT

Posted by entropy_aegis

@daredevil21134 said:

QFT

@lemontron said:

@mbembet said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Finally, a decent review.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Posted by douchewing

Why is tim drake not considered a part of the bat family? he appeared at issue 1 he should've been included on this story arc. boo!

Posted by ltbrd

yeah have to agree with entropy_aegis on the point of this not being a revolutionary Bat-story however I will give it a slightly higher score (4/5) for the way in which it was portrayed. 95% of the issue being just Batman wandering through the maze gave the issue a feel of hopelessness and isolation that I don't think RIP or others did as those arcs dealt with Batman having an enemy on the page rather than being alone.

however I will get on all of you for downplaying the significance of the physical and mental fatigue this issue shows Batman going through. commented that Batman's turn to madness was too quick. HE'S BEEN WITHOUT FOOD FOR 8 DAYS ALONE IN A PITCH BLACK MAZE WITH SUDDEN MOMENTS OF INTENSE BRIGHT LIGHT AND MOST LIKELY ONLY DRUGGED WATER TO DRINK. The human body can go around 3-5 days without water and longer without food as long as water is available, but at this point Batman is basically being starved to death because all the water in the world won't keep the human body running more than a week or so. The fact that he's still active and not exhausted in a corner is a testament to how the character is portrayed but he's still suffering extreme malnutrition at this point. Add in the fact that he's mostly in a pitch black maze ( take note of this, the maze is always dark except for the white rooms so he had to go back into the dark anyways to try and get out of the maze) with little to no sense of direction or depth and is at random times assaulted by intense light and constant repetition on themes and ideas and any of you calling out his "all too quick turn to madness" are kidding yourselves about what your own bodies could take. In a real situation such as this I would give most people, including myself, 3 maybe 4 days before we were in worse shape physically and mentally than what Batman is portrayed as here.

Posted by entropy_aegis

@ltbrd: Good thing Batman is'nt a normal human,he has seen and been through A LOT WORSE.Normal people would call it hell,Batman calls it Tuesday.

Posted by jrock85

Did anybody else have some upside down pages in their copy?

Posted by StarKiller809
@jrock85: It suppose to be like that.
Posted by JonesDeini

@lemontron said:

I think this was an amazing issue. Are the specific elements new? Hell no, no ideas original though. All boils down to execution. And imo Snyder/Capullo executed things as well as you possibly can. Also Capullo's Layouts and art kicked this one up a notch. I also don't think Bruce's "madness" was quick. He's been in this maze/drugged up for a week and a day. That's nothing to take lightly.

Posted by Webjaker

---"and then he goes around telling us he's unstoppable and that he knows everything about Gotham and that's why he'll stomp the Court BLAH,BLAH"

Its called DENIAL - That's the entire point - Batman admitting that He may not own/know Gotham as he thought - they are breaking him mentally and not just with drugs.