carnivalofsins00's Batman #3 - The Thirteenth Hour review

Batman #3 Review

After an action packed issue #2, Batman #3 slows things down a bit. This issue really begins to dig into just how unfamiliar Gotham City really is to Bruce Wayne, and that will really be his undoing. Batman is overly confident, this is his city, but what happens when he realizes that he's been wrong about that all this time?

Scott Snyder hasn't missed a beat since issue one, and the story just keep getting bigger and more complex. The dialogue is spot on and everyone feels like they are perfectly in character. Most important, pacing is right, and transitions are seamless. I loved the opening of this particular issue, how it took us from Gotham City in 1922 to Now without a hitch.

Here, Greg Capullo gets another opportunity to shine. Yes, his work is beautiful when in action like the past two issues, but we see that he doesn't lose his touch when he's doing smaller scenes. Seeing those pages of Batman being a detective with almost no dialogue, and just Capullo's art made me just as giddy as the train scene from issue #2.

All in all, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are the perfect team to be working on such a book. Snyder knows how to write these characters like no one else can, he brings something fresh to one of the world's most recognized superheroes while keeping true with what we all know and love, and Capullo has proven that he can draw both big action sequences and quieter, dialogue filled scenes without missing a beat.

This is hands down my favorite book of the New 52 from DC. Snyder's run on Detective Comics is up there with some of my favorite Batman stories like Year One, and, with just 3 issues in, this run on Batman feels like it could potentially make it up there as well. I just can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

Posted by MetropolisKid41

Another awesome issue! Snyder is really nailing it, can't wait for issue #4!