punyparker's Batman #27 - Zero Year: Dark City, Part Four review

Top Noch.

Plot

Batman is getting shot at,he escapes,somehow,and ends up in the river,below.Gordon rescues him,and tells him that he is a good cop after all.Then from the Batcave he gets a clue and goes to a mausoleum he thinks Dr.Death is hiding.He finds out the Riddler was manipulating the guy,and that he's gonna poison all of Gotham(a unique and innovating plot,i know...).The final part of Dark City starts now......well....in the next issue.....oh wait...in the NEXT-next issue....issue #28 is a Batman eternal preview.So issue 29 is the next Zero Year part.My brain hurts,too much information.

Thoughts

Writing is excellent.Characterization is fantastic.Story continues fluently.No gripes there.

Snyder continues to knock it out of the park.And we learn some stuff we were questioning.Remember the bearded Bruce in a wooden cage,recieving a phone from an African soldier?!(that sounded dirty).....turns out it was Alfred who wanted to warn him that his uncle was after him.

And we get another tease,in the first page of the comic,this time.Tokyo 1946,a girl,who doesn't look very Asian,but i bet she is,sings to a bunch of American(i guess) soldiers.And one thing about it.....the page says "Tokyo 1946"....and the next page shows Bruce getting shot at,and it says "Gotham City, six years ago".....what?!.....so Zero Year takes place in 1940?....it doesn't make sense to me!!....so the New 52 Batman is like in 1948 or something!?....i was confused about this part.

Anyway,probably in the next issue we will get an answer about who's the hot Asian girl,singing songs to the soldier bunch.
Five pages from the book are dedicated to how Bruce is dodging bullets and explosions by simply running in and falling into the water.Okay his suit is messed up,and he's missing an ear.....no,no,a Bat-ear....not an acual ear.....his ears are fine....jeez.

After all this hide and seek with the police men(Year One referance) Gordon picks him up in his boat,and helps him escape.He tells him a story how he is a clean cop,and that he wanted to make good,after coming here from Chicago(Year One referance) but the other policemen,threatened his family(Year One referance).But the Bruce Wayne comeback,and the sudden appearance of Batman at the same time,which has nothing to do with Bruce Wayne,at all,obviously(...), gave him hope that something good can rise.A Dark Knight.......who Rises....i got chills.

We cut back to the Batcave where Alfred is giving him the explanation to the phone-cage thing i told above,and that he punishes us all(Gotham citizens) that he was alone in that alley,and noone helped him......which i ,at first, found stupid,but then i started to think about it,and it makes a kind of weird-twisted sense.

Then Bruce gets a cliche detective epiphany about where's Dr.Death is hiding.Goes there and BOOM the Riddler is behind this all!!! HOW EXCITING!!

He says he wants to poison Gotham and "Bring the city to its knees!!!!!!!!" ....yeah.

The place fluds,and the issue ends with a Batman hand bursting out,of the......well,water.Continues in issue 29.
Now look......i didn't like the fact that they shoved a 10 page story into 22 pages.I felt they could do more,but anyway.
Also i feel we're not getting too much of a development in the Batcave department.They only talk.Good talk,but sometimes boring.

I presume,the whole "Batman change to what he is now" with all the Batmobiles,Dick,Tim,Jason,Babs,big ass cave,etc, will happen after the Zero Year arc will end.

Art is gorgeous,and i wanted to give a loud shout-out to Danny Miki,the inker of Zero Year.....his inks are fenomenal....radically different from the previous Batman issues.Fenomenal i tell ya.

P.S. PURPLE GLOVES FOREVER!!

Image Notes

Now,is this girl Asian or not!?.....
And dear officers remember....when you want to apprehand a vigilantee,NEVER...shoot aiming the chest....you might just hurt him..."

Year One referance.

have no idea what happened and he was so surprised....

The dudes loves Frank Miller too much.....
How cute,little Bat-tubes,in Dr.Death's lab!...for some reason

I don't know about you,but the only thing i thought of,when i saw this was......RIDDLER THROPHIES!!!
Brucy,Brucy.....i can't take a dramatic hand bursting out,survive,exit seriously,when you wear purple gloves.....

Posted by Deathstroke19

Lol your revs always find a way to make me laugh. Nice job!

By the way hows it going? O__o Haven't talked to you in a while.

Posted by PunyParker

Lol your revs always find a way to make me laugh. Nice job!

By the way hows it going? O__o Haven't talked to you in a while.

Thanks and im fine bro!
Just watched Arrow S02 Ep9 with the first appearance of present time Slade.....why's he so mad at Ollie?!....he could do nothing to stop Ivo from shooting Shado....sad sh!t.

Edited by MadeinBangladesh

good stuff. Finally posted the review. I seriously don't get get waht people are liking about ZY. It's one of the most boring and repetitive things I have read. It might be that people just love everything Scott Snyder writes no matter what.

Online

@punyparker: Thats good.

And I don't care.... At least we get Slade!

Posted by PunyParker

I find it an interesting take on his origin.....an extended on non the least....
But remember.....i grade the issue,not the arc.I want it to end ,so Bats can go back to the present(heh) stories....Court of Owls was a magic story(for me) and i want more Batman badassery....this is a bitchy immature Bruce,that i tend to dislike,more than sympathise.

And haven't read yours,i will right now!

And thanks!

Edited by PunyParker
Posted by Ninjablade09

Huh, Doc Death. I recently read the two stories he was in back from '39. Interested in reading this once the TPB releases.

Posted by PunyParker

It is kinda confusing,but still,good.
The man knows how to write.