johnkmccubbin91's Batman #26 - Zero Year: Dark City, Part Three review

Batman #26 Review

Scott Snyder would continue from this cliffhanger brilliantly, though the issue itself was still lacking in areas, not being as exciting or explosive as the storyline was during the first part. Snyder did however do a great job of building up yet more hype and suspense in this issue, utilising one of Batman’s oldest villains, Doctor Death in an outstanding way. I also loved how Snyder answered the puzzling questions that last issue asked, whilst also showing a more intense side to the relationship between Bruce and Jim Gordon. It did however overall have too much set-up throughout the issue, which ultimately made it a little bit slower.

The artwork from Greg Capullo was however astonishing as usual, and was easily one of the best things about this issue. I loved the layout of Capullo’s art, as well as the immense detail that he adds, making this story feel all the more intense and suspenseful. I am however still not a huge fan of the change to Bruce’s look, as although it gives something a little more distinguishing for this younger Caped Crusader, it just doesn’t look right to me. This however is only personal taste, and nothing against Capullo’s art, as his work on Doctor Death and the action would more than make up for this minor annoyance.

Check out my full review at Imagination Centre.

Posted by Wolverine08

Nice review.

Online
Edited by tomlikesfries

Cool review, mate. Oddly enough I found this to be one of the best chapters of Zero Year thus far. It's been hardly any good for me in comparison to the rest of the series, which is the main reason why Scott Snyder is nowhere near my top 5 writers this year.

Edited by MadeinBangladesh

I would give it 3, but awesome review.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@wolverine08: Thanks.

@tomlikesfries: I liked the whole bit between Bruce and Gordon and the end was good, but overall nothing much is happening very fast over the last couple of issues.

@madeinbangladesh: My actual rating is 7 (which would be 3.5 here) but I decided it was ever so slightly closer to a 4 due to the Bruce/Gordon sequence.