theacidskull's Batman #23.2 - Solitaire review

• theacidskull wrote this review on .
  • theacidskull has written a total of 201 reviews. The last one was for
  • This review received 17 comments

What Am I?

I'm not a Fan of Scott Snyders Batman, but i still wanted to Read the Riddlers villain Month issue since out of all the characters that have appeared Yet, Riddler was one of the few villains who actually needed a revamp. Now When i say Revamp, this does not equate to completely changing the character and just keeping his original name, which is exactly what they did to Mr. Freeze, Grundy, Cyborg-Superman, and etc. Riddler has been suffering from the fact that writers can't decide how to write him properly, this Gimmick of his should be well attributed to the character instead of him becoming a joke.(seriously if the guy actually ran away from Wayne after being scared from Alfreds voice than i'm sorry to say that some changes were needed).

Anyways, Moving on to the review itself. I immensely enjoyed the art, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary but it was very enjoyable. What i am trying to say that the art might not have worked in an action packed scenario, but for a riddler comic book it was very good. Still however, one of the panels really irked me since it seemed like Riddler was flying when in reality he just jumped. Minor gripe but it's confusing really.

As for the story and writing, i loved it. Honestly, this was really good. There are a few riddles introduced at the begging, and they are slowly answered throughout the entire issue. This could have been a major fluke, but they execution was brilliant and great. Plus, it had great rhymes.

The Biggest appeal to the issue is that, unlike the others, this actually evolves and adds something to the riddlers character. The Problem i essentially had with most of the villain issues were that they provided nothing new to the table, they didn't take the core concepts of the characters and evolve them, in fact the actually downgraded some of the characters. Here on the other hand, the riddler becomes so much more than just a joke. Edward actually became an interdependent threat who i actually bought that he could pose a threat for batman, intellectually and somewhat physically. (not in brawl, mind you.)

Riddler has Become an arrogant, Brash, intellectual who sees that everyone is beneath him and the only person he considers to be greater than him, or at least his equal, was Batman Himself. Plus he's willing to Hurt people, which is a Plus if you didn't notice. A Villain who isn't Dangerous is not a villain at all.

Since this is about Riddles, i think i should end this review with one:

My Name Is Skull, I am a Reviewer.

A Valid One mind you, Not a Bullsh*t Spewer.

This was good, it was quite a surprise!

picking this up now, would be my advice.

So tell me reader, what is your view?

Did you Like My Little Review?

and if you did, what would you say?

Is 5 starts too astray?

Not the Best rhyme/riddle but it was fun i have to admit.

Recommendation: duh..

Edited by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Not a fan of Snyder's Batman :/ I don't love it but I find his run enjoyable Great review and i do agree this was a fantastic issue and definitely deserves the 5 stars.

Posted by BumpyBoo

Can't wait to read this, hearing so many good things! :)

Moderator

@bumpyboo said:

Can't wait to read this, hearing so many good things! :)

^_^

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642
Posted by Lvenger

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: It was Fawkes that did most of the writing in this issue. Snyder only came up with the plot. I think most of the credit on the quality of this issue deserves to go to Ray Fawkes on this.

A really great review Acid, it's excellent for a reviewer to point out the flaws on most Villain's Month titles whilst contrasting it with what this issue did right over them. The ideas and plot points advanced in this issue were great. And as you said, Riddler's violent acts made him an imposing force for once. Nicely done!

Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

@lvenger said:

I never said Snyder did most of the work I know it was Fawkes and he did a heck of a job with this I was just saying I like Snyder`s run although not as much as some people I still like it.

Edited by PunyParker

Who are you?.....my b*tch!!

Dont argue with me,you know you are !!! :P

Edited by TheAcidSkull
Posted by DecoyElite

Nice review, although you should know Riddler was always pretty arrogant, although not without reason as was shown here.

Posted by DecoyElite

@decoyelite said:

True.

@theacidskull said:

@decoyelite said:

True.

yeah i mean it's like telling people your awesome but then you beat easily beat up.

Posted by PunyParker
Posted by johnkmccubbin91

Great review, I really enjoyed this issue and Ray Fawkes really did a great job it. I personally have loved Snyder's work on the series though, especially during Death of the Family and Zero Year (though Court of Owls is slightly overrated).

Edited by PunyParker