undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This issue begins with a bang, introducing us to a bedazzled new Batgirl partying with a carload of other masked criminals on a veritable spree across the city! When the original Batgirl swoops in to put a stop to it, the newly minted one escapes to sparkle another day. Meanwhile Babs and company attend a gala art event centered around...BATGIRL! The artist doesn’t exactly portray her in the most flattering light, with one particularly dark piece depicting her in a decrepit wheelchair. When the new Batgirl challenges Babs via a hidden message, the revelation of dual identity spirals further and further into delusion and madness. Cameron Stewart and Brenden Fletcher deliver up a slice of life issue, showing us a storyline that’s practically standalone. The only reference to previous storylines we get are all in the form of the supporting cast, particularly a still-disgruntled Black Canary, but what we do get plenty of is wit and very solid, excellent character interactions. Not only between Batgirl and her support team, but Barbara Gordon and her friends, and it’s the latter where this book shines. Not only do we get a solid differentiation between Batgirl and Barbara Gordon's voice, but the dialog is naturalistic and the characters seem fleshed-out and well-motivated. As a result, the storyline feels like it’s proceeding organically and not simply because it must go where it needs to for the plot to advance.

Babs Tarr, with Stewart on breakdowns, provides the linework that’s made this book the darling of both the internet and the comic’s community at large, and it’s a style that continues into this book. This is an issue all about style, so it makes sense that the visuals would be striking and arresting, as well as varied. From the upbeat skirmishes that pepper the book to the feeling of stomach-dropping horror at the art exhibitions most controversial piece, Tarr has a great variety of facial expressions and the characters all have incredibly evocative body language. This is one of those titles that you could almost remove the dialog from and the story would still be clear and concise, at least from the characters’ perspective. Colorist Maris Wicks’ contributions can’t be understated either. This is a beautiful book and its colors are bright and vibrant, even though almost all of the book takes place either in the dark or in places with very harsh lightning. While the story goes to some very dark places, preventing me from full-on calling it whimsical, the colors keep things, at the very least, upbeat and fun to read.

The Bad

I can’t tell if this story truly is a standalone or meant to lead somewhere else, because it certainly doesn’t seem to have led from anywhere. The last two issues have done a great job of establishing Barbara’s new location, but there’s been very little of an overall plot or direction to be seen, and this issue is the most clear example yet. Apparently the imposter Batgirl’s already an established figure, despite not appearing or being mentioned in previous issues, but we’re never given a time frame, so it may have been two days or two months. As a result, it’s also a little strange that the characters seem to be falling into extremely established roles, even in their interactions with one another. While I do love their conversations Babs (the character, not the artist) feels like the only one dynamically reacting to how the world is moving and changing.

The Verdict

It’s only been three issues, so it’s far too soon to write off a book that gets this much right because of a few complaints. This is still one of the most fun, visually interesting books in mainstream comics and it’s still worth getting into. This issue, in fact, is still a great jumping on point which is handy as back issues are becoming increasingly harder to find. I’m hoping the setting asserts itself more strongly and begins to define its characters’ role in it, but for now I’m content with how they simply bounce off each other in fun, delightful ways.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Can't wait to pick this up

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon
    No Caption Provided

I can't wait to see someone cosplay this Batgirl costume.... That costume is so loud I have to wear ear plugs just to look at it.......

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 owie  Moderator

I was a little "eh" about this. Interesting, a little uneven.

So I have not been following Batgirl in the past at all--has her relationship with Black Canary been like this or is this one of the new arc's changes of tone? And is Black Canary the same (college age) age as Babs in the New 52?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: From my best guess I think Canary is in her late 20's. I mean she was married for a number of years so I do not see her being 21 like Babs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie:

Black Canary should be older. Black Canary and Batgirl arent in good terms because of the end of BOP where Babs stated that Dinah was caring too much about her former dead/come husband with no memory than her team (and also making bad decision because of it) and Dinah passed leadership to Babs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

She has only been mary few days on Team 7 because Kurt Lance notice she loved him and it could be their last mission but following events of BOP i would say some months or few years.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's shame we're not seeing Black Canary in action anywhere else. Do you guys think she'll get a new costume too?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That cover is NICE.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is the most Jojo cover I have ever seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman:

I dont think so. Unless they want to mimic Arrow´s New Canary Suit. But the other options for Black Canary is getting a solo or joining a team.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius:

I was thinking 'bout the same idea . Since she lost all of her belonings in a fire even her suit, maybe she could make a new leather suit, similar to her arrow's counterpart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman:

I like her N52 costume is easter egg of two black canary and she looks alike Motorcycle Ninja and fit her and also protecting and support her. But it is unknown what Dinah lost asider her Dojo.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman said:

@vitalius:

I was thinking 'bout the same idea . Since she lost all of her belonings in a fire even her suit, maybe she could make a new leather suit, similar to her arrow's counterpart.

No, not a new suit. The one she has is good.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: @sealife: I like her new 52 costume very much, just like you do. Nevertheless , you never know what the writers and artists will come up with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman:

If she still wearing costume that protecting and support her as well looking good for her, i am happy with it.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman said:

@vitalius: @sealife: I like her new 52 costume very much, just like you do. Nevertheless , you never know what the writers and artists will come up with.

Yeah, that's true. And I really hope she is getting a ongoing in the new big wave in June.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife:

Her solos never got lot of issues but in N52 already gave to some almost unknow characther a solo series and good writer it could have some sucess but there are some big characthers that dont have a solo series yet.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished reading it, pretty good, had a really interesting theme of identity in it. I'd agree with a 4/5.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: Wait they where only married a few days? that is pretty silly and make a supposed huge focal point of Black Canary's new 52 origin just seem cheap and unnecessary.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

This is my pick of the week. I loved it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just can't get over how ugly that cover is..

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owie  Moderator

@vitalius: @br_havoc: thanks. Yeah I would think she'd be older, but they draw her like she's the same age and she acts the same age. Just a little off in tone for her, I think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie:

Well Black Canary is always older than Babs. Maybe it is because of tone of series but again Wonder Woman on Solo series said she is only 25, so what is the age of the other characthers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

Yes and Kurt Lance doesnt even love Dinah in past or present (reveal on last arc of BOP).

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@sealife:

Her solos never got lot of issues but in N52 already gave to some almost unknow characther a solo series and good writer it could have some sucess but there are some big characthers that dont have a solo series yet.

Sorry didn't get a notification before now.

Haven't Black Canary only had one solo like in 1990?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife:

Well so far she had (exept special issues and Secret Origins and thing like that)

Black Canary with 4 issues (1991-1992)

Black Canary Vol.2 with 12 issues (1993)

Black Canary Vol.3 with 4 issues (2007)

Green Arrow and Black Canary with 32 issues (2007-2010)

Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell (collective issues) 2014 (it isnt N52 title and i dont know their earth)

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sealife

@vitalius said:

@sealife:

Well so far she had (exept special issues and Secret Origins and thing like that)

Black Canary with 4 issues (1991-1992)

Black Canary Vol.2 with 12 issues (1993)

Black Canary Vol.3 with 4 issues (2007)

Green Arrow and Black Canary with 32 issues (2007-2010)

Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell (collective issues) 2014 (it isnt N52 title and i dont know their earth)

Well that's just one solo really as vol 1 and 3 are mini-series and the others are team ups and graphic novel elseworld.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, no one is going to make a mention of the backlash received by the issue? Or the apology issued?

Interesting.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Guerraa

@ms-lola: I haven't heard anything. May I ask to what you are referring?

This was my least favorite of the three issues so far under the new creative team. I still liked it for the most part, but something seemed to be missing compared to the previous two issues. Maybe because they didn't expand on the new characters much if at all in this issue.

Also, am I the only one starting to get irritated by how many different guys Babs seems to have a thing for? This is literally the third guy she either has hooked up with or has a crush on in just three issues. This doesn't include the boyfriend she had under Gail Simone, Dick Grayson who she always seems to have had a thing for, and Jason Todd in whom she showed some interest in Batman Eternal recently.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guerraa: There was some backlash from the transgender community about how the character of Dagger Type was portrayed, and then treated by not just Babs, but the crowd at the end of the issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.