Review: Batgirl #11

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Oracle resists a dream attack from the Calculator while Batgirl combats an army of zombified heroes and villains in Gotham.

The Good

Hands down, the highlight of this issue was the glimpses of the dream Calculator's putting Oracle through to get at her secrets. The way that pieces of Babs'  life were woven into these seemingly idyllic fantasies - - like the Calculator showing up dressed like The Killing Joke's Joker - - had a creepily askew quality that reminded me of the similar dream sequence in Saga of the Swamp Thing in a good way. Kudos to Guy Major for establishing such an identifiable difference in the color schemes of that and the real world. I was also impressed with some really stand-out splash pages throughout, like Manbat cornering Batgirl int the sewer and her subsequent sky dive.

The Bad

Since there's two artists credited in this issue and I'm not familiar enough with their styles to tell them apart, I'm not sure who did it... but there are a few parts where the faces are a little under-rendered (and the inker has to work in some more detail to make up for it) or the anatomy gets a little awkward. I'm particularly thinking of the close-up where Catwoman's straining to hold Batigrl up with her whip. It also seemed like there was too much of a leap in the plot that got Batgirl and the Caculator's suddenly jumping out of the plan. I'm all for skipping unnecessary details, but that seemed to miss a step.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

This was definitely an improvement over the previous issue, with a good mix of action, suspense and even some horror. It's interesting see how the Batgirl legacy's being handled now in a way that Batman's legacy traditional has, with the various "cowl bearers" working together under new a context. It's a character-defining issue for both Stephanie Brown and Barbara Gordon, although there were some parts of the art that were a little patchy.
#1 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3545 posts) - - Show Bio

The switch in Batgirls was rather sudden. It makes you think there was a bigger plan, but it feels more and more like it was just done upon someone's request and DC rolled the dice.

Did they take Cassandra out, because they thought that she would be too effective against the threats they wanted to use in the coming story? They needed someone who might struggle a bit more? I just feel that the cowls in the Batman series are toss around way too much.

It is kind of cool to see Manbat return. I'm not so sure about having two separate artists pencil the same comic. Not unless they work really closely together. Though you would know better how they blend since you are the one who read it.

#2 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome review.
I haven't read any Batgirl, but I may just start. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.