I never understood this

#1 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did they use Bart Allen as the speedster in Smallville instead of Barry or Wally. I understand not using Barry since he was dead at the time but Bart? Really?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13187 posts) - - Show Bio

There was no other Flashes in the Smallville Universe...just Bart as Impulse. He did use Barry Allen and Wally West as aliases when he was a criminal however

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I meant in mainstream continuity Barry was dead, not in smallville continuity. I don't understand why they went with Bart of anyone

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (13187 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@cattlebattle: I meant in mainstream continuity Barry was dead, not in smallville continuity. I don't understand why they went with Bart of anyone

possibly to avoid the confusion being there has been about 6 Flashes, and Bart as Impulse was probably easier as there could have been issues with the characters rights to the Flash
#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58269 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to find logic in Smallville, ha.
BB

#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Interesting, didn't think about that, haha.

#7 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Trying to find logic in Smallville, ha.
BB

So true.

There's no logic in "One shotting Darkseid by flying through him and making him burst into crows."

#8 Posted by _Cain_ (23670 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@Billy Batson said:

Trying to find logic in Smallville, ha.
BB

So true.

There's no logic in "One shotting Darkseid by flying through him and making him burst into crows."

Yep that was anticlimactic if i ever saw it.

#9 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

I WAS READY FOR AN ALL OUT BATTLE TO THE DEATH!

Instead we got this.....

It was looking so good at first....then he one shotted him.

#10 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to mention the one- punch- Doomsday- blows- up "fight"

#11 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

...because he's a kid. They wanted a kid.

#12 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the characterization they wanted to do just made more sense as Bart than Barry or Wally. Barry would never steal food or zip to get flowers to impress a girl he just met. Same reason they used Wally as Flash in Justice League cartoon. Not only was he the Flash at the time but they needed someone more playful than Barry.

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

They used Bart because they want to familiarize fans/viewers with the latest (and in their minds) hippest version of the Flash so they can capitalize on the character without being tied to all the continuity and dogma of the previous Flashes.

#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember at the time Smallville started, they didn't have the rights to use any of the famous villains due to legal reasons. Birds of Prey suffered from a similar problem. Bart's appearance seemed to be them testing the waters; how audiences would react to other established heroes... without committing to a character too big. It's only in the last few years that Warners pulled out of their plans for a Flash movie, so I'm guessing they were reserving Wally (and/or possibly Barry too) for a big screen debut instead of on the small screen.

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

I remember at the time Smallville started, they didn't have the rights to use any of the famous villains due to legal reasons. Birds of Prey suffered from a similar problem. Bart's appearance seemed to be them testing the waters; how audiences would react to other established heroes... without committing to a character too big. It's only in the last few years that Warners pulled out of their plans for a Flash movie, so I'm guessing they were reserving Wally (and/or possibly Barry too) for a big screen debut instead of on the small screen.

Yeah, well Clark's been shown in both, so I'm not sure it was a question of reserving Wally/Barry for the big screen.

#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I remember at the time Smallville started, they didn't have the rights to use any of the famous villains due to legal reasons. Birds of Prey suffered from a similar problem. Bart's appearance seemed to be them testing the waters; how audiences would react to other established heroes... without committing to a character too big. It's only in the last few years that Warners pulled out of their plans for a Flash movie, so I'm guessing they were reserving Wally (and/or possibly Barry too) for a big screen debut instead of on the small screen.

Yeah, well Clark's been shown in both, so I'm not sure it was a question of reserving Wally/Barry for the big screen.

I see what you mean, but it's not like the Flash is as well known as Superman. They were trying to reboot the old Superman movie franchise, but for all the legal problems they used to have with Smallville (the early years) and BoP then I can imagine that they didn't have the rights to Barry or Wally.

Saying that, it's been so long since I've seen that episode I can't remember if they actually call him 'Flash'. I do remember he had the Kid Flash colours on, so maybe they were hinting at introducing Barry or Wally later on depending on the success of that episode but changed their minds?

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

I see what you mean, but it's not like the Flash is as well known as Superman. They were trying to reboot the old Superman movie franchise, but for all the legal problems they used to have with Smallville (the early years) and BoP then I can imagine that they didn't have the rights to Barry or Wally.

Saying that, it's been so long since I've seen that episode I can't remember if they actually call him 'Flash'. I do remember he had the Kid Flash colours on, so maybe they were hinting at introducing Barry or Wally later on depending on the success of that episode but changed their minds?

Yeah, I wasn't trying to dispute the fact that Bart might have an easier set of rights to obtain due to the nature of his character. I was just trying to show that I doubted it was because of the movie that was (and may still be) in the planning phase by Warner Bros.

#18 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

@ReVamp said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I remember at the time Smallville started, they didn't have the rights to use any of the famous villains due to legal reasons. Birds of Prey suffered from a similar problem. Bart's appearance seemed to be them testing the waters; how audiences would react to other established heroes... without committing to a character too big. It's only in the last few years that Warners pulled out of their plans for a Flash movie, so I'm guessing they were reserving Wally (and/or possibly Barry too) for a big screen debut instead of on the small screen.

Yeah, well Clark's been shown in both, so I'm not sure it was a question of reserving Wally/Barry for the big screen.

I see what you mean, but it's not like the Flash is as well known as Superman. They were trying to reboot the old Superman movie franchise, but for all the legal problems they used to have with Smallville (the early years) and BoP then I can imagine that they didn't have the rights to Barry or Wally.

Saying that, it's been so long since I've seen that episode I can't remember if they actually call him 'Flash'. I do remember he had the Kid Flash colours on, so maybe they were hinting at introducing Barry or Wally later on depending on the success of that episode but changed their minds?

In his debut appearance he was only called Bart Allen, but they did mention Jay, Barry, and Wally as being different aliases on multiple fake ID's. It wasn't until later that he was given the codename 'Impulse' during Ollie's JL missions. Don't know if that helps at all.

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: It's okay, after all it's just a theory :)

@ArturoCalaKayVee: I'd forgotten the fake IDs. I'd stopped watching by the time they introduced the League into the series... did they ever feature any other speedsters, or just Bart?

#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: Just Bart to my knowledge. Never really watched the series, but a bud of mine is like the biggest fan of the series.

#21 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@xerox_kitty: Just Bart to my knowledge. Never really watched the series, but a bud of mine is like the biggest fan of the series.

Yeah, only Bart was featured. I'm only just starting to watch the series now (half way through season four) and I've been doing "research" and Bart is the only speedster.

#22 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of having Bart on the show.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.