Why is everyone hating on Barry?

• 95 results
#51 Edited by entropy_aegis (13655 posts) - - Show Bio
@monkeyonurback_ said:

guys.. grant morrison brought barry back. he's the only problem here. and he's been a problem since he started in comics. just guarantee that every title he touches, will destroy a character you've come to love.

wrong WRONG.
#52 Posted by daredevil21134 (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP Wally West,you won't be missed

#53 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

RIP Wally West,you won't be missed

LOL
#54 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they are obbsesed with an obsolete flash and have nothing better to do

plus haters gonna hate

#55 Posted by daredevil21134 (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Because they are obbsesed with an obsolete flash and have nothing better to do

plus haters gonna hate

exactly

#56 Posted by HolySerpent (12340 posts) - - Show Bio

Forget Wally or Barry. Bart Allen for life

#57 Posted by daredevil21134 (9176 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally and his fans for the JL cartoon can go somewhere,most his fans probably never even touched one of his comics.Barry Allen 4 Life

#58 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

Wally and his fans for the JL cartoon can go somewhere,most his fans probably never even touched one of his comics.Barry Allen 4 Life

Amen Brother.

#59 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1487 posts) - - Show Bio

Putting all other reasons aside (What his return does to his death, the confusion surrounding said return, the character's lack of overall interest, etc.) it comes down to the fact that they tried to do the same thing here they did in Green Lantern. Where Hal returned, took the main seat and the series was taken to new heights. The difference is that Kyle (Hal's replacement and the Green Lantern version of Wally) was still around and having his own adventures. Wally completely disappeared when there was no reason for him to. Like Kyle he'd stepped up to the plate and come into his own. Heck, i'd say he took it even further than Kyle had. He'd surpassed Barry in every way and then was put into limbo for no good reason.

#60 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (896 posts) - - Show Bio

JAY GARRICK FO' LYF DAWWGGZ o.O

#61 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

It is Dc's fault for using so many Flashes pre flashpoint and finally settling for just 1 Flash in the New 52. I do hope the gods forgive DC for its past mistakes in the handling of the Flash property.

#62 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: LOL what an unintelligent comment. Without Barry Allen, there'd be no silver-age which basically saved the entire industry. He also was the original Flash, and without his death, Wally's run as the Flash would've been non-existent and/or meaningless.

People hate on Barry because he's too nice and he's not Wally.

#63 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the silver age dc superheroes were cardboard characters witn no unique personality. If you look at Justice League of America by Gardner Fox, you can switch all of the speech baloons without any problem. Superheroes with personalities and soap opera drama and romance was pioneered by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby who used to work in romance comics when the superhero business was down. DC tried to catch up with Marvel in the bronze age by firing most of the old writers like Gardner Fox and in Flash the new blood was Cary Bates and dc had many former Marvel writers such as Steve Engelhart on the Justice League of America. Later on, Cary Bates was giving Barry Allen marital problems in copying the Marvel way and this ended up with the death of Iris and a new girlfriend for Barry. The current New 52 is having Barry date more girlfriends to make Barry more interesting rather than a boring husband. Most of the New 52 reboots ended up with the superheroes being young and unmarried. There's really nothing memorable about the personality of the New 52 Barry Allen and this problem dates back to the silver age dc super heroes.

#64 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

@Vance Astro: LOL what an unintelligent comment. Without Barry Allen, there'd be no silver-age which basically saved the entire industry. He also was the original Flash, and without his death, Wally's run as the Flash would've been non-existent and/or meaningless.

First of all, don't be disrespectful. Second of all, Wally West is the only Flash that I care about, he's the only Flash that matters TOO ME, that's my opinion. I'm not talking about story or importance to the DC Universe, I'm talking about what I am and am not interested in.
#65 Posted by Billy Batson (56978 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Jay Garrick was the original Flash.
BB

#66 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Mbecks14 said:

First of all, don't be disrespectful. Second of all, Wally West is the only Flash that I care about, he's the only Flash that matters TOO ME, that's my opinion. I'm not talking about story or importance to the DC Universe, I'm talking about what I am and am not interested in.

Your comment didn't say that he was the only Flash that matters to YOU. You just said he's the only one that matters. Implying that Jay and Barry don't need to exist at all.

#67 Posted by Billy Batson (56978 posts) - - Show Bio

Well to Vance's defense the comment was over a year old :p
BB

#68 Posted by ComicMan24 (147021 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Well to Vance's defense the comment was over a year old :p
BB

You and your logic are not needed here :P

#69 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

Your comment didn't say that he was the only Flash that matters to YOU. You just said he's the only one that matters. Implying that Jay and Barry don't need to exist at all.

It didn't think I had to. That's what I meant. Maybe you should have asked before trying to tell me  my comment was unintelligent. 
#70 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Mbecks14 said:

It didn't think I had to. That's what I meant. Maybe you should have asked before trying to tell me my comment was unintelligent.

Well I am sorry for being rude, but based on your original comment there's nothing that would imply that you were speaking only to your personal feelings.

#71 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3325 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
Wally West is the Flash I grew up with.
Fixed.
#72 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people who read The Flash or are interested in him are Generation Wally.

#73 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (11752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sky_Jokiel said:

Almost everyone I talk to is upset that Wally is not the flash and that Barry came back and is stealing the spotlight. In all honesty though I'm loving flashpoint and I think that The Flash Rebirth and the 2010 series of The Flash with Barry contained some terrific stories. I think Geoff Johns is doing a terrific job writing him and I'm not upset Wally is gone. I know most people that are big on comics right now grew up with Wally as The Flash but it's time for him to step back. Wally has a family now with two kids and in the superhero world a family means that your dead locked with your stories. The only way I think they could bring Wally back is if they get rid of his whole family and I DC writers are to nice to do that. Barry is The Flash right now and I think everyone needs to accept that enjoy the stories. Change is never liked but often turns out good. Just my thoughts.

people just have different opinions. whereas you find some of Johns stories fantastic, others find it incredibly boring and/or disrespectful to Wally West's growth.

#74 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

Well I am sorry for being rude.

This is where the sentence should have ended.
#75 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kal'smahboi said:
@Vance Astro said:
Wally West is the only Flash that matters.
Fixed.
#76 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

#77 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

barry is cool.

#78 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Mbecks14 said:

Well I am sorry for being rude.

This is where the sentence should have ended.

Now you're the one being rude.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Sky_Jokiel said:

Almost everyone I talk to is upset that Wally is not the flash and that Barry came back and is stealing the spotlight. In all honesty though I'm loving flashpoint and I think that The Flash Rebirth and the 2010 series of The Flash with Barry contained some terrific stories. I think Geoff Johns is doing a terrific job writing him and I'm not upset Wally is gone. I know most people that are big on comics right now grew up with Wally as The Flash but it's time for him to step back. Wally has a family now with two kids and in the superhero world a family means that your dead locked with your stories. The only way I think they could bring Wally back is if they get rid of his whole family and I DC writers are to nice to do that. Barry is The Flash right now and I think everyone needs to accept that enjoy the stories. Change is never liked but often turns out good. Just my thoughts.

people just have different opinions. whereas you find some of Johns stories fantastic, others find it incredibly boring and/or disrespectful to Wally West's growth.

I enjoyed Johns' run on Barry's Flash pre-52, it wasn't amazing but it wasn't awful. And I don't think Johns is to blame for any mistreatment of Wally. He's obviously a fan of the character since he wrote a lot of him back in West's glory days. The editorial at DC obviously just wanted to focus on Barry and they sidelined Wally in the process, which was unfair to the character but not the fault of Johns. And to be honest, the Flash title hadn't been very good for a while. Ever since the initial cancellization of Wally's Flash series, Bart's run, and Wally's return, the Flash hadn't been very good. I didn't like Rebirth but Dastardly Death of the Rogues was fun albeit confusing. And then Flashpoint kind of came in and consumed the book. It's a hard run to judge because it wasn't really given much of a fair shot.

#79 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

I don't see how, but aight...
#80 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Mbecks14 said:

I don't see how, but aight...

Well I apologized for being rude and you didn't seem to think it was good enough. Again, I apologize for my rudeness but it's not preposterous that I could've "misinterpreted" your Original Post as being a blanket statement since you make no reference to your own personal feelings.

#81 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mbecks14 said:

Well I apologized for being rude and you didn't seem to think it was good enough. Again, I apologize for my rudeness but it's not preposterous that I could've "misinterpreted" your Original Post as being a blanket statement since you make no reference to your own personal feelings.

That's fine, I accept your apology, but I don't know how I was being rude by suggesting our exchange should have stopped at that. It's NOT preposterous that you could have misinterpreted my post, I agree...that's why I didn't need you to explain any further. I got it.
#82 Posted by Joygirl (15404 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry Allen is such a snoozetastic character, between him and Hal Jordon I almost couldn't struggle through Blackest Night. Actually, now that I think about it, between Barry, Hal, Atom, Firestorm, and the Hawks, Blackest Night/Brightest Day was like an exercise of characters I don't care about.

#83 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl said:

Barry Allen is such a snoozetastic character, between him and Hal Jordon I almost couldn't struggle through Blackest Night. Actually, now that I think about it, between Barry, Hal, Atom, Firestorm, and the Hawks, Blackest Night/Brightest Day was like an exercise of characters I don't care about.

Blackest Night was pretty bad. I think all the enthusiasm for most people was gone half way through.
#84 Posted by Mercy_ (92097 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

This is why we get along.

#85 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

@Vance Astro said:

This is why we get along.

:)
#86 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry is a good Flash, but Wally is great.

In my opinion Barry would be a better Flash if he had a more well developed personality. I've never really had a problem with that with him myself, and I like the concept of his back story a lot more. He certainly has room for improvement as a character though, and Wally doesn't really have that problem.

#87 Posted by Jake Fury (17928 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read a huge chunk of Flash stories (Rebirth, Dastardly Death of the Rogues & Road To Flashpoint) and I enjoyed them. Barry was the focus but the Bart and Wally appearances were cool too. Overall, I'm a fan of all 3 characters.

#88 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry is my favorite. Wally acts like a fool.

#89 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

Amen Brother.

Double amen.

#90 Posted by Teerack (4552 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if Wally existed in the new 52 people would care about Barry.

#91 Posted by Mucklefluga (2440 posts) - - Show Bio

BARRY FOREVER

#92 Posted by matchesmalone21 (7671 posts) - - Show Bio

Even growing up with Wally West as Flash and not having even read any history with Barry (except Rebirth and Flashpoint),I always loved Barry.

#93 Posted by ComicStooge (9764 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my personal favourite Flash, honestly.

#94 Posted by FlashKnight (444 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get it either. I love Wally, but Barry will always be my favorite.

#95 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everyone hate him? Because they can't write bromance slash (or flash) fiction with him and Nightwing like they can with Wally.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.