Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5077 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Top 6 DC Heroes Most Likely To Guest Star On Flash's Show

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided

Since Flash is getting a backdoor pilot on Arrow this season, I fully expect him to get his own show--complete with his own superhero guest stars. So who do I think will manage to show up on The Flash or whatever the show is called? And what's my rationale? Check out the list below.

*Just don't expect Batman or Superman to show up due to the Bat-Embargo (see Smallville) or some other reason related to their live action films. I just see Warner Brothers being too protective of the Big 2 to allow them to show up on Arrow or the untitled Flash show. They would likely be afraid of audience confusion, potentially poor portrayals, over-exposure, etc. And the show runners may not want characters that big featured anyway because they would be pressured to do something expensive with characters they don't have the money for, would fear fan outrage, and would not want Flash to be overshadowed.

6. Hal Jordan

No Caption Provided

What He Brings To The Table: A Good Friendship With the Barry Allen Flash

Notice I said Hal Jordan and not Green Lantern. While Hal Jordan and Barry Allen have a long history of friendship together on the comic book page, at the end of the day, featuring green hard-light constructs would obviously be too expensive for a CW TV show. Heck, it looked too expensive to get right in his $200 million movie. And featuring green flashes of light in the background wouldn't cut it. In addition, alien-related adventures aren't where I see the Flash show going in its first few seasons. And speaking of the Green Lantern film, that movie didn't do so well, so Warner may be hesitant about signing the character off again. That's why--at most--I can only see Flash becoming friends with test pilot Hal Jordan and not Green Lantern. Can you think of a good reason for pre-Green Lantern Hal to show up in Central City? If so, post in the comments!

5. Booster Gold

No Caption Provided

What He Has Going For Him: His Time Cop Background, His Personality, Previous Appearances on TV, and His Own (In-Development) Show ; Inexpensive Powers/Abilities

Since it's highly likely that a Flash show will feature time-travel elements, it would almost be funny if Booster Gold didn't show up. This disgraced football player from the future easily fits within the Flash mythology, has shown up on live action television before, and has had his own show in development for years. While I wasn't keen on his Smallville portrayal, he isn't too expensive of a hero to pull off and his vibrant personality could fill in for the Green Lantern in the buddy dynamic shared by Hal and Barry.

If there's anything working against this, it's the fact that the Booster Gold tv show is supposed to air on SyFy not the CW. Also, he's not a super recognizable hero anyway, so his appeal as a guest star would be mostly fan service with potentially little to show in a ratings boost. But what do I know? Maybe not being super recognizable is a plus on this kind of show?

4. Wonder Woman

No Caption Provided

What She Has Going For Her: Justice League Star Status, Her Own (In-Development) Show, Inexpensive Powers/Abilities

This one is pretty easy. Wonder Woman is very well known. Her powers (besides flight) can't be too expensive for TV. And she has had a show in development for some time now. If Warner Brothers goes this route, a Wonder Woman backdoor pilot could appear on Flash's show. Wonder Woman's Amazon background could even potentially be tied to the time-travel and alternate dimension aspects of the Flash show. The only thing I could see keeping her off the Flash show is Warner's fear of putting out a poor interpretation of the character so close to the release of a live action film--especially since they know how important this character is to the fans and to the Justice League property. Also, tying the Amazons into Flash's world can be done, but it wouldn't necessarily be easy. You would have to introduce a lot of ideas--like Amazons (and maybe even A.R.G.U.S.)--that may not have a big, long-term payoff for the Flash character himself on his own show. I think that was the problem with some of the later guest stars on Smallville as well.

3. (Green) Arrow

No Caption Provided

What He Has Going For Him: A Currently-Airing, Live Action Portrayal; Inexpensive Powers/Abilities; The Fact That A Flash Show Would Be A Spin-Off of Arrow Featured on The Same Channel (Meaning: Character History)

Do I really need to go into this one considering the two shows would be on the same channel and the fact that Flash would spin-off from Arrow? Again, this would be a little weird if it didn't happen.

2. Cyborg

No Caption Provided

What He Has Going For Him: Star Labs, Alternate Dimension Background, Friendship s With Multiple Flash characters, and Inexpensive Powers/Abilities

What?! Cyborg? Yep. Check it:

• Smallville proved he isn't an expensive character to feature in live action tv.
    • His connection to Star Labs would allow him to provide Flash with (possibly needed) pseudo-science exposition.
    • The inter-dimensional aspects of his background would easily fit into the Flash universe, and could make the introduction of some Flash-elements (like the cosmic treadmill) easier to process. Heck, he could even help Flash (and the audience) to understand the concept of alternate dimensions like Earth 2.
    • He and Flash are friends in the comics.
    • He is a member of the Justice League, so he has some name recognition.
    • He wouldn't over-shadow Flash.
    • His origin is easy to do. And his character progression wouldn't be hard to write.
    • He likely wouldn't get so much demand for a spin-off that the creators would feel a ton of pressure to get this one to fit a certain mold. And he could be for Flash what Green Arrow was to Smallville: a good, recurring superhero friend.

He may not show up until a later season (if he does show up), but Cyborg could move from guest star to supporting role with no trouble. I actually can't think of a reason why he wouldn't show up at some point...

1. Jay Garrick

No Caption Provided

What He Has Going For Him: He Started It All, His Powers and Abilities Would Be Inexpensive to Feature, and He Expands the Flash Mythology

Jay was not only the first Flash, he also inspired Barry Allen to become the Flash via comic book. He also opened of the idea of alternate dimensions in the Flash universe, and has lots of name recognition and love from the fans. If he's featured on some interpretation of Earth 2, he could expand the Flash mythology without an expectation of his own spin-off. And there are so many interpretations of this character that the show runners could feel like they have a lot of creative freedom with him. Like Cyborg, he could easily move from guest-star to supporting character (depending on which version of Jay is used).

---

Bonus: The Speed Force/Flash Legacy

If the show runs longer than 5 seasons, then there is no way this is not going to happen:

No Caption Provided

Impulse, Liberty Bell, Max Mercury, XS, and the Tornado Twins? It's almost too tempting for a long-running superhero show that will want to provide fan-service. Sadly, I am much less certain about Wally West appearing in anything DC-related these days. But who knows? Maybe Kid Flash will even pop up later on. The only reason for this not to happen is that the creators may feel that having this many speedsters makes Barry much less special. In that event, the other Flashes could still be heroes in different time periods.

Let me see your thoughts below!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't want a Flash TV show, I want Flash Movie.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyways nice list but why no Wally?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: It's not mutually exclusive. And Warner is more likely to make a Flash film if the TV show is successful. Nothing wrong with having Flash on week after week.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

1. Flash family

2. Blue Beetle

3. Booster Gold

4. Hawkman

5. Mr.Terrific

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: My problem is I don't think Flash is made for TV, I can see WW, Constantine and even Batman as TV series but not properties like Flash or Green Lantern. Not to mention the show is on CW.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Superdork

@rustyroy: It's not mutually exclusive. And Warner is more likely to make a Flash film if the TV show is successful. Nothing wrong with having Flash on week after week.

Yeah, I have not feelings either way, but tv would allow the opportunity to be more comic-booky due to the serialized nature of tv programming and less pressure from Hollywood execs.

Just though I'd post concept art here for the Flash fans:

No Caption Provided

The visor would have to go, but the rest looks good.

And here is some Cyborg/Flash stuff I could see translating:

I really hope they can pull off the rogues well too.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Because DCE seems really against promoting him. The biggest two reason I hear are that Wally ages Barry and that people will just keep wondering when Wally will replace him.

@rustyroy said:

@captain13: My problem is I don't think Flash is made for TV, I can see WW, Constantine and even Batman as TV series but not properties like Flash or Green Lantern. Not to mention the show is on CW.

If Smallville happened, I can see Flash happening. Flash is just an easier-to-do Superman IMO. Similar mid-western background, easy powers, and expansive mythology that can last a show for a long time. I actually have a harder time seeing Wonder Woman on TV.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Captain13

@the_stegman said:

1. Flash family

2. Blue Beetle

3. Booster Gold

4. Hawkman

5. Mr.Terrific

Okay, is this a wishlist or an actual list of DC heroes you think are likely to show up? Blue Beetle looked really cheesey on Smallville and was too expensive for his own show. Hawkman and Mr. Terrific could happen, but I don't see why DCE would want to feature them at this point since neither of those characters have other projects in development or are well known. Just curious, not sarcastic.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

1. Flash family

2. Blue Beetle

3. Booster Gold

4. Hawkman

5. Mr.Terrific

Okay, is this a wishlist or an actual list of DC heroes you think are likely to show up? Blue Beetle looked really cheesey on Smallville and was too expensive for his own show. Hawkman and Mr. Terrific could happen, but I don't see why DCE would want to feature them at this point since neither of those characters have other projects in development or are well known. Just curious, not sarcastic.

Actual list. I don't think DC or WB will want characters that have projects in the works to be on the show, I can't see Wonder Woman being there, nor Batman, or Superman. Maybe Arrow since the show is a spinoff. I see them using lesser known heroes. Hawkman for example, Booster gold. Blue Beetle in the form of Ted Kord and Kord Industries.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By JLDoom

Nice list, although I dont really see Wonder Woman showing up on the show. I'm personally hoping for not too many cameos and guest appearances from other DC superheroes, since I don't want this to be like Smallville where there were so many DC characters it barely felt like a Superman show.

@superdork: Can't say I'm a big fan of that design. I've always felt they should go with something simple, classic yet still modern for a live action Flash, like his design for the cancelled game (excpect without the white eyes because they look weird).

No Caption Provided

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Captain13

@captain13 said:

@the_stegman said:

1. Flash family

2. Blue Beetle

3. Booster Gold

4. Hawkman

5. Mr.Terrific

Actual list. I don't think DC or WB will want characters that have projects in the works to be on the show, I can't see Wonder Woman being there, nor Batman, or Superman. Maybe Arrow since the show is a spinoff. I see them using lesser known heroes. Hawkman for example, Booster gold. Blue Beetle in the form of Ted Kord and Kord Industries.

Okay, I understand even though I don't agree about them wanting lesser heroes, haha. DCE is all about synergizing their products these days. That's one of the reasons I think Shazam will be in Justice League: War and why Flash is likely spinning off from Arrow.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkman(Kator Hol), the Atom, Firestorm(if they have enough money for good effects), Zatana, Wally West( if we can't have him in the comics at least make him a supporting character) , Shazam or Aquaman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Because DCE seems really against promoting him. The biggest two reason I hear are that Wally ages Barry and that people will just keep wondering when Wally will replace him.

@rustyroy said:

If Smallville happened, I can see Flash happening. Flash is just an easier-to-do Superman IMO. Similar mid-western background, easy powers, and expansive mythology that can last a show for a long time. I actually have a harder time seeing Wonder Woman on TV.

Wally was one of the main characters in YJ, just because he's not in New 52 doesn't mean he can't appear in other media. Flash is a lot harder than Superman and WW, Super strength and X-ray visions are easy to portray in live-action, Super speed, IMP, vibrating and phasing are a lot tougher, that's why we haven't these powers too much in live action, the scenes involving super speed in Smallville were pretty bad. WW will be much easier on TV, shows like GoT and Spartacus are proof of that.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

@captain13 said:

@rustyroy said:

@rustyroy said:

Wally was one of the main characters in YJ, just because he's not in New 52 doesn't mean he can't appear in other media. Flash is a lot harder than Superman and WW, Super strength and X-ray visions are easy to portray in live-action, Super speed, IMP, vibrating and phasing are a lot tougher, that's why we haven't these powers too much in live action, the scenes involving super speed in Smallville were pretty bad. WW will be much easier on TV, shows like GoT and Spartacus are proof of that.

I have to break my answer into two part.

1) Young Justice was produced and released before the New 52. I don't think he will appear again in other media until he shows up in the comics or when the DC execs give their approval. All behavior up to now has not indicated that they will any time soon.

2) Superspeed is a cheap easy power. It was used all the time on Smallville for that reason, and it was used in the cheap twilight movies as well. Heck, superspeed on TV has been around since the 1970s.

Loading Video...

Flash will probably not do an Infinite Mass Punch on TV because it would throw off the power dynamic of the show. If it's ever used, it will be for a season or series finale. Even then, they could just do what Injustice did and show a red flash circling the Earth. Phasing is also a really cheap power to do, which is why it was featured so much on Heroes season 1.

Loading Video...

Also, no live action or cartoon Flash will ever be as powerful as the ones in the comics. It would be too much power to make sense. Sure a Flash TV show won't be like Man of Steel every week, but he'll have some version of his powers. Superman dealt with the same stuff on his live action shows. In fact, so did Flash once upon a time--

Loading Video...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RustyRoy

I have to break my answer into two part.

1) Young Justice was produced and released before the New 52. I don't think he will appear again in other media until he shows up in the comics or when the DC execs give their approval. All behavior up to now has not indicated that they will any time soon.

2) Superspeed is a cheap easy power. It was used all the time on Smallville for that reason, and it was used in the cheap twilight movies as well. Heck, superspeed on TV has been around since the 1970s.

Flash will probably not do an Infinite Mass Punch on TV because it would throw off the power dynamic of the show. If it's ever used, it will be for a season or series finale. Even then, they could just do what Injustice did and show a red flash circling the Earth. Phasing is also a really cheap power to do, which is why it was featured so much on Heroes season 1.

Also, no live action or cartoon Flash will ever be as powerful as the ones in the comics. It would be too much power to make sense. Sure a Flash TV show won't be like Man of Steel every week, but he'll have some version of his powers. Superman dealt with the same stuff on his live action shows. In fact, so did Flash once upon a time--

Listen man, DC execs don't own WB, its the other way around, if WB wants to use Wally then DiDio can't stop them. And you just proved my point, Super speed looks awful in those videos, and if they don't use Flash's other powers then people will probably think that its the only power he got.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy said:

Listen man, DC execs don't own WB, its the other way around, if WB wants to use Wally then DiDio can't stop them. And you just proved my point, Super speed looks awful in those videos, and if they don't use Flash's other powers then people will probably think that its the only power he got.

Actually, based on her job description, Diane Nelson can stop them if that's her prerogative. Plenty of DC characters are not able to appear on shows. For example, Wonder Woman and Batman were never allowed on Smallville. Wonder Girl couldn't be used on Young Justice until season 2. Beware the Batman can't have Robin appear on it's first season (Bat-Embargo with Young Justice). Nightwing cna't appear on Arrow yet even though the creators want to use him. Etc, etc, etc.

And Flash's powers may not look good to you, but those super-speed and phasing effects are standard to TV shows like Heroes, Smallville, Agents of SHIELD, etc. Flash can exist on TV and is not too good for it--especially since Superman--a bigger character has had several live actions shows.

Also, considering Barry has already been cast, wouldn't it make more sense to hope for the best now that it's too late to halt things from moving forward? And do you watch any superhero shows on TV involving super powers? Their special effects are never on the level of summer blockbusters and people don't care. Good writing is more important and should be your bigger concern.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RustyRoy

Actually, based on her job description, Diane Nelson can stop them if that's her prerogative. Plenty of DC characters are not able to appear on shows. For example, Wonder Woman and Batman were never allowed on Smallville. Wonder Girl couldn't be used on Young Justice until season 2. Beware the Batman can't have Robin appear on it's first season (Bat-Embargo with Young Justice). Nightwing cna't appear on Arrow yet even though the creators want to use him. Etc, etc, etc.

And Flash's powers may not look good to you, but those super-speed and phasing effects are standard to TV shows like Heroes, Smallville, Agents of SHIELD, etc. Flash can exist on TV and is not too good for it--especially since Superman--a bigger character has had several live actions shows.

Also, considering Barry has already been cast, wouldn't it make more sense to hope for the best now that it's too late to halt things from moving forward? And do you watch any superhero shows on TV involving super powers? Their special effects are never on the level of summer blockbusters and people don't care. Good writing is more important and should be your bigger concern.

Yeah Diane Nelson is the president of DC Entertainment, she's not the reason for Wally not appearing in New 52, Batman and WW couldn't appear in Smallville because Wb didn't wanted them to, not her, she doesn't have full control over the characters either. Batman and WW aren't related to Superman, Nightwing isn't related to Arrow but Wally is related to Barry, there's a difference.

And are you really expecting good writing from these guys? These guys made Green Lantern, Arrow is average, I'm not expecting much from these guys and yes I watch shows involving superpowers that's why I can tell that Flash doesn't belong in TV, he's a character which needs very much CGI, Flash is more of a visually appealing hero, there are some characters that don't work that well on TV, bigger or smaller doesn't matter, Iron Man can't work that well on TV, GL can't but a big character like Batman can. I know they're moving forward with the show, I just hope somehow they change their mind, they didn't moved forward with the WW show.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain13

@rustyroy: We are in diametrical opposition. While I don't expect it to be great, I am still looking forward to the Flash show.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Although I love Barry Allen, I'm really skeptical on how he will do on a live-action tv series. He's more fitted for animated tv shows or at least a live-action movie. Live-action superhero shows don't really translate superpowers well, in my opinion

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Flash brings the lightning and Cyborg brings the thunder.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Flash brings the lightning and Cyborg brings the thunder.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

and i got the sonic if you've got the boom : 3

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you even forget Elongated Man?

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Captain13

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

It's easy to forget obscure characters, lol. Yes, he may very likely appear since Pete Ross got stretchy powers on Smallville, but his appearance would indicate the show jumped the shark with bad special effects.

Loading Video...

The list I made is not completely extensive, haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

It's easy to forget obscure characters, lol. Yes, he may very likely appear since Pete Ross got stretchy powers on Smallville, but his appearance would indicate the show jumped the shark with bad special effects.

The list I made is not completely extensive, haha.

Elongated Man isn't that obscure, especially for comic fans.

And it's CW. With the budget they have, the show would've already jumped the shark with bad special effects in the pilot.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain13

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: IDK about that anymore. The Tomorrow people has some solid sfx for tv.

Loading Video...

I just don't think stetch powers even look good on big budget live action films like Sky High and Fantastic Four, even though Ralph does fit into the advanced pseudo-physics detective world of the Flash. And he's funny.

Loading Video...

And on another note, like Hal Jordan, I think The Atom would be too expensive to translate. But unlike Elongated Man, the live action film footage for his powers in Ant-Man look great. So who knows? Maybe they can pull him off too?

I'm just not in a rush for those guys bc they can easily come across as hokey. They don't fit common superhero archetypes, so I'm worried they would get effed up easily and bring the Flash down with them.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I think they're good choices. But I do agree if this works, then the Flash is one step closer to getting a feature film. I just hope they're not going to give Barry an Nolan Batman makeover like they with Green Arrow which lost his original voice, that's what I'm worried about. I also hope they give Iris West a big role and don't neuter her like the Black Canary!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Anyone of these characters would be great to see. Especially Hal Jordan.

I hope that the Rogues are amazing in the show

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.