Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5077 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

The Flash uniform

Jabor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jabor

How should be the Flash uniform in the next movie?
    Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ValendianKnight

How it looks in the comics, as much as possible.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134
    @ValendianKnight said:
    "How it looks in the comics, as much as possible. "

Agreed
    Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Almost exactly like the comics.

There's a reason Flash's suit hasn't changed over the course of such a long time. There's a reason when Jim Lee was redesigning every character for the New 52 he added unnecessary lines on the costume for the sake of a redesign.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Agreed with everyone else. Not as armored as the other costumes he's had in the video games but more smooth, like Superman's look in Man of Steel. Details like the ones that he has in the New 52 might be too flashy (pardon my pun) for the movie scenes, so a basic post-New 52 design would be good.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I saw nothing wrong with the way the Flash's suit was done in the 90's tv show. To date I still think it was the best representation of a superhero costume on tv (including what has been shown of the Green Arrow in Smallville and Arrow). The only real issue against it was that John Wesley Shipp was too broad for the character so the Flash looked too much like a strongman rather than a runner.

Update the material of the suit so it doesn't look like carpet and I don't see why you have to mess with it any farther. There is a reason why guys like Alex Ross continue to draw The Flash this way, because it clean, classic, and sums up the character in one look.

The need to make it look like armor is unnecessary as The Flash is not a brawler like Superman or Batman.

However, I do think it would be a good idea for the movie to use the concept that Barry creates his suit from the Speed Force (yes, I know that Wally was the first to figure this trick out but if we are sticking with a more realistic approach to this new films placing the suit in a ring is not going to work nor is the idea that he can wear it under his normal clothing because of the gloves and mask being attached.......come to think of it I don't think they ever addressed where he stores the suit in the 90's show) as it would still be cool to see the lines of lightning moves across his body as he transitions from normal clothing to the suit as a great effect and a cool way to show his speed as the lightning trails behind him in those few microseconds. After the transition the lines the lightning traced shouldn't be there but the effect itself would be very cool to see.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to revamp The Flash all together to something more modern, I think something like this would do.

No Caption Provided

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Captain13

No armor. He needs to look like he can run and move easily. And don't make the boots as yellow. Give him this "Ultimate" costume (made of the same material as the Spider-Man one) but give him the New52 mask. The door handles may have to go like Captain America's did.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Does anyone else find it strange that there is tons of concept art made by fans for Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, but almost none for Flash? It could be because his costume may be the most difficult to pull off in a realistic world. And it may be the most difficult to explain. Like why did he feel he needed to put it on? Why doesn't his costume look more cop-like? Why did he design it the way he did? Why did he choose his logo? Why do his soles never wear out? Etc. I mean Superman puts on his space armor to fight other Kryptonians, Wonder Woman is a Warrior, Green Lantern has a uniform, and Batman wants to scare people. Flash's costume is not armor, not a uniform, and not used for psychological warfare. Scientifically he shouldn't need it because he breaks every other law of physics and his mouth is not covered, so his costume does not protect him from friction... Did he pattern himself off someone?

The ring thing and the idea of the speed force costume need to go. They don't make sense in a realistic world. No one can make clothes out of "GOES FAST" and you can't stuff an entire wardrobe into a ring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

He patterned himself off of Jay Garrick (the Golden Age Flash), who he in the pre-crisis timeline had been a comic book character Barry had grown up with (it wouldn't be until later that Barry and Jay would meet and realize that Jay's adventures had actually taken place on Earth-2) and then altered it in order to hide his identity (i.e. the creative team made the suit look like other superhero suits of the time as compared to Garrick's t-shirt and jeans).

The ring and compression gas was a trademark of the Silver Age of comics, where like Hollywood creators were constantly coming up with incredible science to spice up a character. This was true of every superhero of the time but I agree with you it wouldn't work in the movie (really I don't think it works in the DCnU either).

The suit does not wear out, the soles do not burn off, or anything else that would occur at the speeds he moves because his body projects a protective aura (similar to Superman's bio-electric aura) channeled from the Speed Force that surrounds him and his clothing (except in the 90's show where normal clothing would be destroyed and thus why he needed a specialized suit to resist friction) and that is why they are not destroyed by his movements or airborne particles colliding with him/them (which in real life would tear a human body to shreds at the speed he would be moving at).

You're completely ignoring the Speed Force, a dimension of energy that governs all movement and where speedsters draw their power from (though even that is loopy canon because sometimes the Speed Force is cut off from them and if they are metahumans they can still move at like Mach 1.....the Speed Force simply allows them to go faster than their metagene would permit). This is an aspect of the character that has never been explored in a live action production and even the Justice League cartoon series touched on it only briefly when Wally was being pulled into it fighting a Brainiac possessed Lex Luthor. In the 90's show Barry's speed simply hinged on how he body was altered by the chemicals he was bathed in due to the lightning strike. Wally learned that he could harness the energy of the Speed Force into creating matter......since all matter is simply energy.....and thus could generate a costume to wear as a result (which has never really been expanded upon in regards to him creating other objects in the same manner). The creation of the costume has nothing to do with The Flash moving fast. It won't appear automatically when he begins running. He could be standing perfectly still and create the suit. This is one explanation of why the suit wouldn't wear out.

The other, which proceeds the speed force generated suit, is that even without a generated suit a speedsters body generates a protective aura (similar to Superman's bio-electric aura) that not only protects the speedster's body and clothing from the effects of his/her speed, but also the environment around them as well (which is why The Flash running at such high speeds doesn't destroy what he's running on as should happen). In effect the speedster is in a bubble and thus why he/she is able to break the laws of physics without doing harm to anything. It also protects the speedster from airborne particles, which at such high speeds would tear their body and clothing to shreds.

Such manipulation of the Speed Force also grants speedsters the ability to steal someone/something elses speed (in effect taking away the inertia and kinetic energy produced....even to the point of completely immobilizing it forever as Wally did to Inertia as justice for Bart's "death"), can give speed to others, generate energy/speed force clones (Bart Allen is the only to actually pull this off) and produce a number of other movement based effects (such as Jesse Quick being the only speedster that can fly after building up some speed, but not hover).

This is why I think the Speed Force needs to be an aspect of the next live action Flash. Its the easiest explanation for how everything works (its the ultimate "Flash Fact") and instantly allows the audience to dismiss any questions they may have about why his suit can stay intact and why the pavement isn't being torn up in the wake of his running. To ignore that simple use brings all those questions up to the surface and now your audience is more worried about trying to figure out how the Flash can do all of this rather than just watching and enjoying the movie. Does it mean the origin story should nail everything about the Speed Force? Absolutely not. Even its name could simply be a guess or off-the-top of Barry's head to describe how his body is channeling this unknown energy. But the fact that he does not channel energy and the fact that he can manipulate it in some fashion allows the new film (and this goes without saying but if Justice League is his first appearance I don't think they should even worry about an explanation) to maintain a great comic book element while still giving the film some grounding because science today is looking into the idea of other dimensions of energy, energy transferences, and other things that 10-20 years ago everyone just thought was science fiction.

I think the reason people don't create concept art for The Flash is, as I stated before, there is no reason to change his look. Its classic, timeless.....in effect damn near perfect just the way it is. He doesn't need armor, he doesn't need lightning lines, he doesn't need mesh, or plates, or anything else. He just needs a red suit with some lightning symbols and its good to go. He's just a guy that runs fast and outsmarts the bad guy. He doesn't need a a gaudy design for that.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@ltbrd: Awesome response! Thank you! I had many of the same concerns as Captain13, but they were clearly misplaced. While the movie director should incorporate the speed force, it should be easily explained and limited so that he is not over powered. Matter creation could get out of control... He sounds so godlike in that light. It is very interesting. Thank you, again!

--------------

It would be cool if this were explained with some throwaway line like-

John Stewart: Why is everyone wearing costumes?

Barry Allen: Well, Superman is an alien and Wonder Woman is an Amazon, so they get a pass. I think Batman is trying to scare people. And this is the only thing I fan wear that doesn't blow up when I run. What's up with you, though?

John Stewart: This is a uniform, man. Don't ask. Let's get to work.

--------------

Any way, the only potential problem is explaining how Flash can carry people while running without their cloths tearing up. Maybe is the protective aura is conducted over living tissue, then you could protect those people from friction, but there wouldn't be an explanation for protecting their clothes. That's very minor though and I would overlook that.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd said:

@captain13:

He patterned himself off of Jay Garrick (the Golden Age Flash), who he in the pre-crisis timeline had been a comic book character Barry had grown up with (it wouldn't be until later that Barry and Jay would meet and realize that Jay's adventures had actually taken place on Earth-2) and then altered it in order to hide his identity (i.e. the creative team made the suit look like other superhero suits of the time as compared to Garrick's t-shirt and jeans).

The ring and compression gas was a trademark of the Silver Age of comics, where like Hollywood creators were constantly coming up with incredible science to spice up a character. This was true of every superhero of the time but I agree with you it wouldn't work in the movie (really I don't think it works in the DCnU either).

The suit does not wear out, the soles do not burn off, or anything else that would occur at the speeds he moves because his body projects a protective aura (similar to Superman's bio-electric aura) channeled from the Speed Force that surrounds him and his clothing (except in the 90's show where normal clothing would be destroyed and thus why he needed a specialized suit to resist friction) and that is why they are not destroyed by his movements or airborne particles colliding with him/them (which in real life would tear a human body to shreds at the speed he would be moving at).

You're completely ignoring the Speed Force, a dimension of energy that governs all movement and where speedsters draw their power from (though even that is loopy canon because sometimes the Speed Force is cut off from them and if they are metahumans they can still move at like Mach 1.....the Speed Force simply allows them to go faster than their metagene would permit). This is an aspect of the character that has never been explored in a live action production and even the Justice League cartoon series touched on it only briefly when Wally was being pulled into it fighting a Brainiac possessed Lex Luthor. In the 90's show Barry's speed simply hinged on how he body was altered by the chemicals he was bathed in due to the lightning strike. Wally learned that he could harness the energy of the Speed Force into creating matter......since all matter is simply energy.....and thus could generate a costume to wear as a result (which has never really been expanded upon in regards to him creating other objects in the same manner). The creation of the costume has nothing to do with The Flash moving fast. It won't appear automatically when he begins running. He could be standing perfectly still and create the suit. This is one explanation of why the suit wouldn't wear out.

The other, which proceeds the speed force generated suit, is that even without a generated suit a speedsters body generates a protective aura (similar to Superman's bio-electric aura) that not only protects the speedster's body and clothing from the effects of his/her speed, but also the environment around them as well (which is why The Flash running at such high speeds doesn't destroy what he's running on as should happen). In effect the speedster is in a bubble and thus why he/she is able to break the laws of physics without doing harm to anything. It also protects the speedster from airborne particles, which at such high speeds would tear their body and clothing to shreds.

Such manipulation of the Speed Force also grants speedsters the ability to steal someone/something elses speed (in effect taking away the inertia and kinetic energy produced....even to the point of completely immobilizing it forever as Wally did to Inertia as justice for Bart's "death"), can give speed to others, generate energy/speed force clones (Bart Allen is the only to actually pull this off) and produce a number of other movement based effects (such as Jesse Quick being the only speedster that can fly after building up some speed, but not hover).

This is why I think the Speed Force needs to be an aspect of the next live action Flash. Its the easiest explanation for how everything works (its the ultimate "Flash Fact") and instantly allows the audience to dismiss any questions they may have about why his suit can stay intact and why the pavement isn't being torn up in the wake of his running. To ignore that simple use brings all those questions up to the surface and now your audience is more worried about trying to figure out how the Flash can do all of this rather than just watching and enjoying the movie. Does it mean the origin story should nail everything about the Speed Force? Absolutely not. Even its name could simply be a guess or off-the-top of Barry's head to describe how his body is channeling this unknown energy. But the fact that he does not channel energy and the fact that he can manipulate it in some fashion allows the new film (and this goes without saying but if Justice League is his first appearance I don't think they should even worry about an explanation) to maintain a great comic book element while still giving the film some grounding because science today is looking into the idea of other dimensions of energy, energy transferences, and other things that 10-20 years ago everyone just thought was science fiction.

I think the reason people don't create concept art for The Flash is, as I stated before, there is no reason to change his look. Its classic, timeless.....in effect damn near perfect just the way it is. He doesn't need armor, he doesn't need lightning lines, he doesn't need mesh, or plates, or anything else. He just needs a red suit with some lightning symbols and its good to go. He's just a guy that runs fast and outsmarts the bad guy. He doesn't need a a gaudy design for that.

But the problem with that is that the general audience will think that the idea of there being a second earth is too confusing. Barry needs to come up with the suit for the reasons you mentioned.

As for Jay, I'd treat him similarly to how he was portrayed in Young Justice. One of the few surviving JSA members who is a retired superhero. If WB wants JL to be the first superhero team and Superman to be the first superhero in this universe, you can just refer to the JSA as mystery men whose existence are seen as hoaxes in the vein of Bigfoot and aliens.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Jay or the other JSA members should be in this universe. I prefer having them as side characters on Earth 2. Having them be mystery men strains credibility and I prefer Superman being the first superhero.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

I'd like it if Flash's movie design looked kind of like his regime injustice design (minus the underwear).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Jay or the other JSA members should be in this universe. I prefer having them as side characters on Earth 2. Having them be mystery men strains credibility and I prefer Superman being the first superhero.

But "mystery men" were what they were considered around the time they were conceived before being known as superheroes.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By w0nd
    No Caption Provided

if this was matte i wouldn't mind it. but since his costume is metal i don't mind it. I am not a fan of his panels and lines ALWAYS being yellow, i wouldnt mind them being like that are in that picture but having effects of electricity going through them every so often, especially when hes using his powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd:

I like how you are supporting the yellow boots and I do like the chin piece in the re-design. I'm just a little dubious if that much yellow would look weird in live action and just going with yellow soles and the wings on the calves would be the better choice.

As for material......what if it looked the same as the shirts track runners wear? That way it has more of a mesh look but keeps a little bit of give rather than being completely skin tight.

As for the rest of the design......I think it would look better in live action and present a more streamlined appearance to the suit if the lightning bolts, ear wings, and emblem were patterns on the suit rather than being attached to it. That way its all looks like one piece (which from a production standpoint it might be cause it wouldn't be hard to create a body suit with hood and soles) and evokes a more aerodynamic, ready for speed look.

The only reason I would keep the ear wings as they are is if the movie used the idea that they had a police/fire scanner built into them. However, that goes more along with keeping the suit in a ring. It would be just as easy to show Barry build and carry a small earpiece that does the same thing and puts it in either ear before the costume comes on than keeping it in the wing.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: The new one is metal, and he uses it for protection and apparently his speed force energy and metal react in a weird way, but beneficial to him. That's why he can fit it in his ring. That's his reason for his costume. His antenna are radio receivers, and his logo is...well self explanatory This is all new 52 stuff by the way. Hopefully that answers some questions about his suit.

No Caption Provided

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I'm probably alone in this, but i've never liked Flash's uniform. Though i love the character itself.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: if they were a darker yellow they would work on screen i suppose, or if some red was mixed in there or something.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I just don't think the New 52 metal costume and costume physics translate well into something more realistic. Maybe the film makers will prove me wrong.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably alone in this, but i've never liked Flash's uniform. Though i love the character itself.

I agree.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

With actual durable material...not spandex.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality: no i agree, outside of the comic universe he looks odd, and sometimes in the comic universe he does too and i hated kid flash's even more speedsters always get odd costumes

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AweSam

This may be an unpopular opinion, but they'll have to change it for a live-action movie. I like Flash, but I can't take him seriously with that costume.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Captain13
    Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Superdork

The mask will also be hard to pull off like it was for Captain America. I really don't want it to look like this:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@awesam said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but they'll have to change it for a live-action movie. I like Flash, but I can't take him seriously with that costume.

Exactly it just would't work. especially with him standing next to Cavil Superman or a Batman with a costume not far removed from the Bale version. I think this mite work but maybe with the colours swapped?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yellow does look better, but red could work too. We don't want to take Kid Flash's costume. Maybe if the movie was about Wally instead of Barry. That is a good lookong costume, though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@awesam: It could work for ether I think, it doesn't look so much like Kid Flash without the hair gap

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but for an adult it's a whole different story, looking like a banana or a pixie boy when youre a child is one thing but a grown man is hard. I never found "zoom" threatening, i was reminded of lemonade when I saw him, if it wasn't for those black eyes I would assume he was a joke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

They just have to explain why the suit is the way it is.

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CrouchingTiger

I would go with a darker red

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like the way it looked in Flashpoint. I like the way the lightning stemmed out from the symbol on his chest

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided

ATOMONEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ATOMONEY

http://atomoney.deviantart.com/art/The-Flash-Redesign-V-660255416 I would like this for a redesign.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.