Off My Mind: The Dangers of Flash's New Powers

• 70 results
#51 Posted by daredevil21134 (11749 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't like it

#52 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Igotsomethingtosay said:

I have always hated Super Speed as a power for a character - whether it be a hero or villain. Why? There is just no way to make this power work, realistically. So you have super speed? OK, first you've got to develop some sort of costume that can withstand high-velocity wind and projectiles. Where do you get that kevlar suit from? Better make sure you are covered from head to toe in the stuff, or else you're going to have an insect penetrate your body and kill you. What happens when you trip? You're dead, of course. Changing clothes at super speed? Impossible. Your clothes would immediately rip, buttons would pop off, zippers would get wrecked, etc. etc. Same goes for doing pretty much any day-to-day task. Trying to read a newspaper, drink your cup of coffee, talking to a co-worker, or cooking a meal at super speed would all end in disaster.

This is why I can never like The Flash or any other speedster. I can't read the comics without just criticising everything I see.

like other powers don't have their problems, its not just super speed:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RequiredSecondaryPowers

#53 Posted by AmoralBatman (36 posts) - - Show Bio

@Igotsomethingtosay: I agree totally man. I did see that link someone else posted about mandatory secondary powers and I guess that's the only way to accept super speed. Personally I've already gone beyond the point of criticising the 'how' of Flash's powers, now I'm constantly wondering why doesn't he go at top speed the whole time.

I mean some one with Flash's powers should never ever be hit, (that may change with this re-imagining of him but I'm sure well see him take a punch from someone besides superman)

In fact I find superman more believable, he states numerous times that he pulls his punches and most of his weaknesses come from his personality, magic [ >:( ] and krytonite/lead which I find totally cool.

Last thing. I also hate superpowers that are aimed to be founded on science, mainly Spidermans Spidey sense (ive heard they're getting rid of it, hopefully) which was based on flies, spiders and any other insect with compound eyes ability to detect the smallest movements and evade destruction under human hand or newspaper. But then spiderman somehow exhibits this power without and sort of compound eye, essentially making it magic which pushes the believability of that character right out the window for me.

There I had my little Spiderman rant so I'll just go.

#54 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like what Midnighter could do. And now they're both living in the same universe....

#55 Posted by DDevil2887 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to say that the problem might be something physical or possible developed with continued use because the professor seemed to indicate that he noticed something with the brain scans.

#56 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

reminds me of how Deathstroke thinks, or even Midnighter. OH WOW! I want to see those 2 fight now.

#57 Posted by huser (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, you'd hear more people ask for superspeed among the posters on the Rumbles board of CBR. There, based on the rules, speed kills mercilessly.

Personally I'd take Madrox's powers if I couldn't be assured of safe usage of superspeed.

That being said, didn't Wally do a lot of weird stuff that would have required supercognition? Things like teaching himself civil engineering to build a bridge to build a new one as the cars on the old one are falling off it?

#58 Posted by snipeshow_17 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, I'm sure they will find a way to challenge The Flash and test his new powers. I hope this new found power leads to some interesting stories in the near future!

#59 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@VanAce said:

His new thinking speed would mean that he would be able to read super fast and be able to process it very quickly.

He was already doing that though. This does open up some interesting story opportunities, but I too am worried about how powerful Flash is.

#60 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

No worries. They'll just curb his powelevels the same way they make ANY overpowered character seem less powerful - By having him not appear much outside of his own comic, which is mostly drama instead of superpowered antics.

#61 Posted by Red_5 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

seems legit.

#62 Posted by sweatboy (810 posts) - - Show Bio

"i got time to think about the beauty of, a thousand variations of the beating of a hummingbird suspended in the air"  

Didn't Bart Allen already have a hyperactive mind? And since Barry was a SCIENTIST, a THINKER,... wasn't he already more of a PLANNER? This "augmented cognition" sounds like something with a lot of lab experiments on monkey brains, and therefore cruel. Scary to me, and makes me like the Flash less. In the Flash TV series, Tina DOES mention something of this sort

#63 Posted by ips (68 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the real disadvantage here is psychological.

in psychology there is something called behaviour analysis. people who use it become adept at reading the behaviour of others ... anyone who uses this technique regularly is at a social disadvantage in that they stop being surprised by people. good and bad actions are anticipated and it takes the joy out of life a little bit. knowing when someone is surprising you for your birthday party or knowing your spouse is cheating on you or lying.

predictive behaviour would be somewhat similar, i imagine. if you are constantly analyzing the world around you and predicting what happens next - life loses a little bit of it's wonder and that could be incredibly depressing for the person doing it.

#64 Edited by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this what we comic book readers have been reduced too? Unable to be pleased with anything what so ever? This guy is too powerful that guy is used too much, his movie was awful her writing is terrible. It just seems like all I ever see is people complaining about everything and anything. People complain about powers, weaknesses, stories, writers, events, guest appearances, replacements, ascensions, race,characters, costumes, movies, off spring, deaths, resurrections, art, universes, retcon's, relaunches, romances, etc it's crazy. Is there anything that the comic book business can do right for some of you?

Oh yeah The Flash is dope!

#65 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow he could be virtually unstoppable at this point.

#66 Posted by mizzfifiali (4 posts) - - Show Bio

i know.

#67 Posted by hatewhatispopular (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vendel said:

Flash can now think better than Batman? I'm sure Bruce has thought of that already and has a plan for it.

The only time you'll see the two interact is in Justice League, which is written by Geoff Johns so you don't have to worry about Batman being a better fighter, a better engineer, smarter, or anything else over another member. He'll only be good for gettin smacked around!

#68 Posted by HolySerpent (12535 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash ftw

#69 Posted by Wardemon32 (4152 posts) - - Show Bio

So can he beat Wally and Zoom?

#70 Posted by xion1992 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that this is a new ability, it's a new awareness of his ability. He's always been able to think at high speeds, but he's never really considered actively tapping into the speed force to enhance his cognitive processes, which is what he's doing now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.