Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5077 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Is Flash truly the fastest character in all of comic books?

• 70 results
    Avatar image for noobasaurus_rex
    Noobasaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Noobasaurus_Rex

When you look and compare all of the speedsters, is Flash truly the fastest? If you throw him up against Runner or Makkari, wouldn't they be able to beat him? I mean, all 3 of them are speedsters first and foremost, and Runner is very fast. He was fast enough to outrun Silver Surfer if I remember correctly. Makkari is the eternal of speed. That is what he focused on, and Makkari is extremely fast. I mean, I kind of find it hard to believe that Flash is the fastest comic book character when there are characters like Runner and Makkari around.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vitality

I'm not sure...but I always believed that he should be. In my opinion.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brc2000

He (Wally) is probably the fastest non-god/non-flying character.

FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FLCL1
    @brc2000 said:
    "He (Wally) is probably the fastest non-god/non-flying character. "

probably this but i think zoom will still beat him in a race
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tensor

have to say all though flash is the fastest sa superman has the all time speed feat not even flash has beaten that feat yet

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By velle37

I've never seen any other character go as fast as Wally is portrayed to have gone.......... 

Zoom is the only one who can look as fast as Wally..... But he has no kinetic energy, he just warps his time stream to appear fast...... 

So Wally probably is the fastest speedster.............
    RLAAMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RLAAMJR

I think Marvel and DC has agreed to make him the fastest

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By sexy_merc

Yeah, I remember hearing about their special meeting on who would be the fastest character out of both publishers. I believe Storm got most powerful.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @Sexy Merc said:
    " Yeah, I remember hearing about their special meeting on who would be the fastest character out of both publishers. I believe Storm got most powerful. "
    LMAO.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
    probably... The Flash ( Wally West ) was incredibly fast... 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Primmaster64

Yep..everyone who read/doesn't read comics, when they always think of speed, Flash comes in mind.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By lagoon_boy
    Ain't Zoom?
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brc2000

Zoom isn't actually fast, though. He's just able to slow down the relative time around him.

Wurl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Wurl124

Wally is the fastest.   

Wally West for President!!!!

Vote Wally!!!
    SystemID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SystemID
    @King Saturn said:
    " probably... The Flash ( Wally West ) was incredibly fast...  "
    yes.. but is he... cheetah fast?
    emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By emptytomb

I thought most dragonball z characters were the fastest since they are so fast that they could teleport themselves to different places instantly.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Zoom
    @brc2000 said:
    "Zoom isn't actually fast, though."

Fast.  adj.   
    Moving or able to move, operate, function or take effect quickly.  Quick, swift, rapid.

Sounds like Zoom is pretty fast to me. 

I think people get confused because characters in the comics will say that Zoom has no speed.  That is, he has no connection to the speed force.  Zoom has been refered to as "the fastest man alive" so I'd say that when he had his powers, he was definately faster than the Flash.
    wallywest55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wallywest55

Zoom is technically faster then flash bc he runs via timestream and there are no limitations to it bc he shares the power with no one else.  so that would make wally 2nd fastest. =(

Britt601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Britt601

Quicksilver????? No???
    wallywest55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wallywest55
    @Britt601:  lol no sir
    Britt601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Britt601
    @wallywest55 said:
    " @Britt601:  lol no sir"

It's ma'am actually. lol.
    wallywest55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wallywest55
    @Britt601:  hahaha so sorry madam.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MKF30

Bart Allen is the fastest Flash it's said to be, I used to think it was barry though...once they go Speed Force nothing can go faster so yeah, they're all faster then SS, Makari, Northstar and Runner...so is Zoom since as others mentioned, he can slow time around him down and just move faster then everyone else.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Don't be fooled its the red suit.. he just looks like he's going really fast.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brc2000
    @Zoom:  Yeah I know how Zooms powers work and that he can technically outspeed Flash, but still.  Else you could call someone who is able to stop time while being able to carry out tasks fast as well, unless I'm completely misunderstanding Zoom's ability.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demas

Zoom II / Hunter Zolomon is currently depowered so whether or not he has speed is irrelevant.  And despite hyperbolic descriptions of his powers, in terms of actual demonstrable speed feats, Wally has him beat (barring one story arc- with every other appearance them being on par).

Of actually repeatedly demonstrated speed, Wally West is the fastest.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By roadbuster

re: Which Flash is Fastest? 

The rough answer is whomever is the title Flash.  The only reason for that is because he's called "The Fastest Man Alive" and that's kinda undercut if there's another Flash out there who's actually faster. 

That said, there are different standards of proof.  If you go by hearsay, adult Bart was the Fastest.  Everyone said so in the comic but he never showed it.  If you go by title, the main Flash book is currently Barry's so he's the fastest.  If you go by "feats" (that is, events that took place in-story in current continuity) or demonstrations of actual speed, Wally's the fastest until another Flash does something more impressive (which, for the time being, is unlikely because Barry's being written more street level currently).  You could also by citation (same as "feats" but instead of cherry picking only the fastest speeds, picking specific examples when their speed was compared or talked about in comics; or taking an "average" of how their speed is portrayed) which goes in every direction for specific instances but the " average" would be that they're all equal. 

The real answer for any individual fan is whichever Flash you like the best. :P 

Those trying to be more diplomatic about it might try to differentiate their powersets.  Jay is a veteran who's been through WW2, he has a bunch of hat-tricks where he uses his metal helmet much like Captain America uses his shield, he is first... but because of age his endurance and top speed isn't there.  Barry always had a high top speed that he didn't have to earn and thus he focused on learning a lot of quasi-scientific speed tricks that don't make sense today but we take them for granted as part of Flash's powerset (intangibility, whirlwinds, etc) revolving around molecules and aura.  Wally's arc was all about recapturing the speed he had when he was Kid Flash, going beyond it, and discovering the Speed Force and its tricks so his techniques tended to be more metabolism / speed-based / kinetic-energy related but more powerful than Barry.  Finally, Bart, due to his youth, has the highest potential since he's learning about the Speed Force young, whereas Barry never knew and Wally learned it older... but so far is not quite as fast.

Anyways, you can interpret the question a bunch of different ways.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Amegashita

Zoom is technically the fastest.

The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By The_Warlord
    @tensor said:
    " have to say all though flash is the fastest sa superman has the all time speed feat not even flash has beaten that feat yet "
    I don't get it
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By roadbuster
    @Amegashita: Which one?  Hunter is in a wheelchair and Eobard was run down by Barry and Wally in Rebirth.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Amegashita
    @Mainline:  The one who's in the wheelchair, you know, the guy who was crippled thanks to Geoff Johns selfishness.  But Zoom, Hunter, is technically the fastest, though he's not actually running fast. 

EDIT:  I mean before he was crippled.  Lol.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By roadbuster
    @Amegashita said:
    " @Mainline:  But Zoom, Hunter, istechnically the fastest, though he's not actually running fast. "  
    The "is" part is wrong, at best you can make an argument he was the fastest.  That's all I'm saying.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Theodore

yeah Zoom lost his powers so its either Wally or Bart.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amegashita
    @Mainline:  Well Zoom is still technically the fastest, Hunter, on the other hand, is not.  Zoom hasn't really lost any speed races and the title of Zoom is still synonymous with the fastest, as of right now, it's just that we need someone else to pick up the mantle for him to appear again, since Hunter is crippled and powerless now.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demas
    @Amegashita said:
    " @Mainline:  The one who's in the wheelchair, you know, the guy who was crippled thanks to Geoff Johns selfishness.  But Zoom, Hunter, is technically the fastest, though he's not actually running fast. 

EDIT:  I mean before he was crippled.  Lol. "
    Even before then he was only ever faster in Blitz.  Every time he appeared afterwards The Flashes (besides Jay) were on par with Zoom II in terms of speed.  For story reasons, sure, he was declared faster in Blitz, but in practice that all went away afterwards, The Flashes have demonstrated faster speed both historically before and afterwards.  In other words, hanging Zoom II's speed on Blitz is like saying Doomsday is the strongest character ever... the characters and stories have evolved since then.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm not so big on the Flash's history, but what makes Wally faster than Barry? 

EDIT: Nevermind, mainline pretty much answered my question. 

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demas
    @Amegashita said:
    " @Mainline:  Zoom hasn't really lost any speed races. "
    Sure he did, Rogue War, Flash v2 #225, Wally beats him in speed- otherwise he wouldn't have been able to touch him to save the day- and that's without the speed steal he used in Blitz.

@Amegashita said:
    " @Mainline:  Well Zoom is still technically the fastest, Hunter, on the other hand, is not. "
    I get that you're a Zoom fan but this is a silly argument... you can't be the fastest if you can't defend your title.  "Hey Zoom, wanna race?  What's that... you forfeit?  I win!"
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas:  Yeah, which was weird to me since Zoom is so much faster than them, why would they be able to keep up.  Though, based on his personality, it can be said that moving faster than them was not really his intention.  >.>
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas said:

get that you're a Zoom fan but this is a silly argument... you can't be the fastest if you can't defend your title.  "Hey Zoom, wanna race?  What's that... you forfeit?  I win!" " 

Nice assumption, but that is wrong.  It's not nice to assume things about people you barely know.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Demas
    @Amegashita said:

" @Demas said:

get that you're a Zoom fan but this is a silly argument... you can't be the fastest if you can't defend your title.  "Hey Zoom, wanna race?  What's that... you forfeit?  I win!" " 

Nice assumption, but that is wrong.  It's not nice to assume things about people you barely know. "
    I agree that it's a "nice assumption" because you're doing cartwheels to justify why Zoom II is the fastest- not only do you have to rely on a "technicality" in terms of what speed means, but you have to ignore his current state, ignore his most recent showings, ignore the highest showings of other characters, and hang everything on one story over half-a-decade ago in order to show favor to one character's mantel's ranking... along with gymnastics about "intentions", hyperbole with saying "synonymous with fastest" (despite the debate as to whether "fast" even applies showing otherwise), and finally taking what Johns did personally by calling it "selfish"... it's a pretty clear picture and a reasonable assumption.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas:   Once again, no.  Keep assuming, it's fine.  As for what you've said, it's all dependent on how you think about it.  With Zoom's personality, and what we saw that he could do, anybody can make the argument that he wasn't going his fastest because he wasn't focusing on being faster, just making what ever character he was going against a better hero. 

and finally taking what Johns did personally by calling it "selfish"... it's a pretty clear picture and a reasonable assumption.

Also, don't like me using the word selfish, then I'll change it into hypocritical, considering all the things he's done to other characters.  Yet, when it comes to his character, because he doesn't want his character being used incorrectly, he crippled him.
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tensor
    @Love: all i am saying yes flash is the fastest yes, but in terms of speed silver age superman has the biggest speed feat ever so if we are going off feats sa superman is right up there or faster than flash in my opinion
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By Calvin

Yes, because I am not a canonic comic book character. 

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Demas
    You're the one painting the picture, I'm only using your own behavior.  You're trying to discredit it as "not nice" and "assumption" but assumption is only bad if it's groundless.  I've shown my grounds:

1. Relying on a technicality
    2. Ignoring current state.
    3. Gymnastics to argue the "mantle" is still fast even if the person isn't.
    4. Ignoring the most recent showings.
    5. Ignoring the highest showings of other characters.
    6. Taking a 7 year old story at face value while creating unwritten excuses for every story since.
    7. Hyperbole with respect to "synonymous" despite clear debate and contention on the issue
    8. Feeling as if Johns has taken something from you or DC's domain (which wouldn't matter if you weren't attached to the character)

So my grounds are clear, looks more like reason to me than spurious accusation.  If you have to do that much work to argue someone is the fastest, you're either a fan or stubborn or both.  Regarding intentions, that's pretty much destroyed by when and how Wally caught him at the end of Rogue War and his stated motivations in Rogues' Revenge... it takes pretty colored memory of those stories to argue Zoom was choosing not to go his fastest in those stories.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Demas
    @tensor said:
    " but in terms of speed silver age superman has the biggest speed feat ever "
    Pretty bold statement considering you've not actually said what it is.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas:  
      2.)  I wasn't ignoring his current condition, obviously he wouldn't be the fastest with that which is why I specifically said I was talking about pre-crippling and pre-losing powers. 

3.)  The mantle is still fast, Hunter isn't but that doesn't make the mantle so. 

4.)  Haven't ignored anything.   

5.)  His highest showing has shown that he was faster than the Flash family, so yeah. 

6.)  Uh-huh, you can keep believing that. 

8.)  It doesn't matter to me, I'm not a Flash fan nor am I a fan of his enemies.  I'm a Billy Batson, and Marvel Family fan.  I just don't like a writer like Geoff Johns, or any writer for that matter, preventing a character from being used just because he doesn't like someone else using them the way they were, especially when he does a lot of degrading and disrespecting of characters himself.   

If you have to do that much work to argue someone is the fastest, you're either a fan or stubborn or both. 

Back at'cha =P
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Demas
    @Amegashita:  I like how I optimistically reasoned you as a fan, but instead you've gone out of your way to demand that I accept you as uninformed and stubborn instead. FACEPALM!

You're ignoring his condition by claiming the mantel is fastest which is pretty ridiculous, especially when it was disproven even has Hunter held the mantel.  You're ignoring Rogues' Revenge and Rogue War, both where he was motivated- said so- and was still outraced.  You're relying entirely on one time that Zoom was faster, which is like saying Doomsday is forever the strongest or that Superman will always beat Captain Marvel because he beat him that one time.  The Flash family and Zoom have since left that time behind and all present showings put them on par with each other.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas:  Yeah, you can go on believing that but it doesn't make it true.

Once again, I haven't ignored anything.  I admit that I never read any of things you've mentioned and if you what you've said is true, then I will change what I said.  More importantly, why does it matter so much to you.  What I said shouldn't matter to you, and you shouldn't care.   

And just to say this, the context of Zoom's powers should not allow anyone to actually keep up with him as easily as you make it sound, I will definitely have to look into those things since it really makes no sense.  
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Demas
    @Amegashita said:
    " And just to say this, the context of Zoom's powers should not allow anyone to actually keep up with him as easily as you make it sound, I will definitely have to look into those things since it really makes no sense.   "
    I appreciate you looking into it, you'll see he isn't what he was hyped to be.

Regarding the power description, that's never really a basis for extrapolation.  The Sentry by all rights should be completely invulnerable to physical harm based on his power description, but nonetheless he gets hurt by physical blows, crashing helicarriers, etc.  Even if it is the source and explanation of their powers, the practical application is what matters.  And, as applied, Zoom is only so fast.  It's the same for every character.  Even The Flash.  They can regulate their friction and kinetic energy, but that doesn't mean they can touch things and make them freeze or burst into flames because we don't extend their powers beyond showings and Zoom has only been shown to be so fast.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Amegashita
    @Demas:  It just seems really weird, I don't remember it ever being mentioned that there's a limit to how much he can slow time around him, which is why it's odd.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.