'Glee' Actor Cast as the Flash in upcoming Episodes of 'Arrow'

• 161 results
Posted by G-Man (33892 posts) - - Show Bio

You've likely heard the announcement that Barry Allen will be speeding his way to visit Ollie on upcoming episodes of Arrow on the CW. The word was this could lead into a spin-off show based on the Flash.

Today Warner Bros. has announced they've found their Flash. Grant Gustin has been cast and will appear in episodes 208, 209 and 220 of Arrow.

The questions are, what will this version of Barry be like? Also, what will his costume, if any, look like?

Warner Bros has included this description of Barry which lets us know what their take will likely be:

BARRY ALLEN is a Central City assistant police forensic investigator who arrives in Starling to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. A comic book fan boy, Barry is obsessed with the Arrow unaware that working with Oliver and Felicity to solve the crime has brought him right into the dangerous world of the vigilante.

What do you think?

Arrow returns for a second season on Wednesday, October 9, at 8:00 p.m. EST/PST on the CW.

Staff
#1 Posted by mksystem74 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they would go a tad bit older looking, but it could work. He's a pretty good actor and yeah, I can see him as Barry.

#2 Posted by mcclellanscott (79 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmm

#3 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't have the "Barry Allen" look to him. I don't anything about him. Anyone care to enlighten me on whether or not he's good?

#4 Posted by daredevil21134 (11758 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks to young for Barry

#5 Edited by Wolverine08 (42135 posts) - - Show Bio

Who?

#6 Posted by NightFang (10049 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't watch Glee, so I don't know if he's a good actor.

#7 Posted by Zadoulo (88 posts) - - Show Bio

He don't have blonde hair :(

#8 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6327 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like him, but does anyone know if he can act?

#9 Posted by batsymyplaything (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks really young to portray Barry Allen, but since it's CW, one of the leading prerequisites is having physical and facial features that are above average, lol.

#10 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

The only problem I really have is that he looks WAAY too young. But I am sure that they may be able to find some way around that.

I don't know about his acting skills,though

#11 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6327 posts) - - Show Bio

And Barry Allen being a comic book fan is awesome.

#12 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

He does look way too young imo. I don't really care about the DCCW stuff though

#13 Posted by ComicKing7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww I wanted Ben Affleck to be flash. But in all seriousness, as someone who has never seen glee before in my life and is going solely on appearance, I could see him as flash but I need more information.

#14 Edited by freezy (10 posts) - - Show Bio

He's more like a Wally West (or Bart Allen) type than Barry. But I've been looking forward to see him in the show.

#15 Edited by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

Waay too young looking and doesn't even look like Barry.

Disappointed Green Arrow is going to have powered people in his universe anyway.

#16 Posted by saoakden (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm have to see how he portrays Barry.

#17 Posted by MythiiC (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks a bit too young in my opinion... Not quite sure, but I hope it works! Arrow was excellent in Season 1, so I'm waiting (excitedly) for them to prove me wrong.

#18 Edited by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks older "in action". He's actually one of the actors on Glee that frequently reminds you they're near-30 year olds playing 17 year olds.

#19 Edited by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, kinda young to be playing Barry, Ollie will seem years older than him in contrast, but he's a good actor (yes, Glee is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I wouldn't mind seeing Barry sing a song or two huehuehue).

#20 Edited by bunkerbuster05 (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, 23 years old. That's really interesting, considering the CW usually hired 30 years old to play teenagers.

I won't doubt it just yet. I hated Arrow, but the last half of the season was incredible. If they can keep it up, they can hire whoever they want.

#21 Posted by sagejonathan (1953 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know Flash was coming to Arrow :o

I love this show!

#22 Posted by War Killer (20189 posts) - - Show Bio

So will he actually appear on the show as The Flash or is just going to be Barry Allen? Also, while I love the idea of Barry being a comic book fan, I don't know how I feel about him being "obsessed" with Green Arrow...we already have Roy for that.

Anyway, looking forward to season two.

#23 Posted by HugS86 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Shoulda gone with Gosling...

And shoulda gone with not putting him onto a B-quality TV show :(

#24 Edited by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder how they're gonna make Barry work in this world.

#25 Posted by HollowPrince65 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll need to see him in the make up and costume they will have him in...He seems alright, but I'm holding my opinion until then.

#26 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@zadoulo said:

He don't have blonde hair :(

Ever hear of hair dye?

@peppeyhare said:

He does look way too young imo. I don't really care about the DCCW stuff though

I guess you haven't been reading The Flash very closely because Barry looked (and likely was) young at the time of the accident

Click to Enlarge

This allows room for growth over several seasons of a show by the way.

I can't speak to this guy's acting ability though. Good luck to him.

#27 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@hugs86 said:

Shoulda gone with Gosling...

And shoulda gone with not putting him onto a B-quality TV show :(

What did you expect from the CW? We're not talking about HBO, AMC, or FX here.

#28 Posted by HollowPrince65 (143 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: uhhhh what? You do realize Green Arrow does go around with the JLA traditionally? It would only make sense to bring in other heroes and having one with powers is actually a pretty good idea. Its like having Batman and Superman together. The two are different in the sense that one has powers and the other doesn't, but that only enhances the fact that there are things Superman can't do but Batman can and vise versa. I think having Flash around could open up some new doors for both characters.

#29 Posted by BattheMan008 (309 posts) - - Show Bio

CW continuing their "only young" motto.

#30 Posted by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

CW continuing their "only young" motto.

They do have a young target audience.

#31 Posted by BattheMan008 (309 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17408 posts) - - Show Bio

...as someone who has never and will never watch a single episode of Glee...who?

Can anyone here speak to his acting prowess?

He is pretty young, but its not entirely unexpected as that is CW's target audience. Still. Amell is like 28 or something, so another person in his late 20's might have worked better. Especially has a forensic investigator. I guess they'll just make him wet-behind-the-ears lol.

#33 Edited by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

@hollowprince65: uhhhh what? You do realize Green Arrow does go around with the JLA traditionally?

What does that have to do with anything? Nolans Batman was super free and there was no problem there. I was liking the more grounded interpretation/version of Green Arrow

It would only make sense to bring in other heroes and having one with powers is actually a pretty good idea.

It's fine if they brought other heroes in but it doesn't have to be ones with powers. I think creating a universe that was much more grounded and without Meta-Humans would have been a great idea.

Its like having Batman and Superman together.

I actually and many people would agree that both are better when he's in his own universe.

I think having Flash around could open up some new doors for both characters.

and I think having characters with their own universe can better create their own identity and life then one that is shared. But that's not the point. I don't actually mind a limited amount of other heroes. I mind ones with powers when I was loving the more grounded aspect of the universe. I'm not against powers for powers sake. I was a Smallville fan after all but by adding Flash Arrow loses something which will be replaced by something else. Now it's fine that you like it but for me it's a disappointment.

#34 Posted by HollowPrince65 (143 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by MisterNefarious (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really thrilled. Just looks way too young for me to believe he's an expert forensics guy... I do hope they dye his hair and cut it to more resemble the comic Barry... Then I'll judge his look from there.

He's just gonna be fighting an uphill battle to make me believe he's old enough, since he looks like he's 12.

Hopefully he pulls it off. Of the three rumored he was the last I'd pick, so I hope he brings his A game and does justice to my favorite DC hero.

#36 Posted by nappystr8 (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

If they were going to cast someone from glee to be the Flash, clearly they should have gone with the kid in the wheelchair. Aside from this actor looking nothing like Barry Allen, and that he looks quite a bit like the guy already playing Arrow, I don't know anything about this guy or whether he can pull off the role. Although, if he is talented he would probably be wasted on a show like Arrow anyway, so who cares, they might as well cast a golden retriever.

#37 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: He gets his powers in episode 20 or 21 something like that

#38 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him as Flash with blonde hair modeled after Francis Manapul's Barry Allen. Not sure if his acting will be enough though. For a TV Show it will be sufficient, but if he will also play Flash in the tie-in films in the future, I'm going to be wary about this decision.

#39 Posted by The Stegman (24324 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone keeps saying he's too young, when really, he's 23, it's not THAT young, I can see him as Barry.

#40 Posted by Scarlet_Spider_Forever (105 posts) - - Show Bio

well thats a shame.

#41 Edited by bunkerbuster05 (306 posts) - - Show Bio

BARRY ALLEN is a Central City assistant police forensic investigator who arrives in Starling to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past. A comic book fan boy, Barry is obsessed with the Arrow unaware that working with Oliver and Felicity to solve the crime has brought him right into the dangerous world of the vigilante.

I really wish people would read the freaking article sometimes.

assistant police forensic investigator

#42 Edited by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

Everyone keeps saying he's too young, when really, he's 23, it's not THAT young, I can see him as Barry.

Looking young and actual age are two different things. When people say too young what they really mean is his look.

#43 Posted by Multiverse (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that they have a hispanic Weather Wizard in the New 52, I was hoping for a person of color to get the role instead of just another white guy.

#44 Posted by KomicKev (89 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read a couple articles about this. Is the FLASH going to be appearing or will it only be BARRY ALLEN? Will it be the Allen character BEFORE he becomes the flash? Will they mention a speedster hero being seen in the world before he actually appears in episode 8? I'm guessing if it is the Flash that we won't see anything near the traditional costume from the comics. I love Arrow so regardless, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. When is what's-his-name (from Teen Wolf) going to become Arsenal (since the name "Speedy" has already been taken)?

#45 Posted by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio

@multiverse: That's when you cast a Hispanic guy for Weather Wizard. Barry Allen is pretty established as being Caucasian. Not saying a Hispanic actor couldn't do it well. "Fans" would just get pissed. All I want is a good actor, and after seeing this guy before on TV, I think he'll do fine.

#46 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he looked a bit too young at first too but then I realized this is Barry at the start of his forensics career so it makes sense. People who've watched Glee have been saying good stuff about his acting so I'll remain optimistic.

And Barry Allen being a comic book fan is awesome.

Well, Barry's always been a comic fan so it makes sense that they'd keep that around.

And yeah, Barry being a comic book fan has always been one of my favorite parts of his character.

#47 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'll overlook the weird model type picture and wait for the show. I have faith. Arrow got better with every episode. I just hope the show doesn't become too hectic. I mean, Black Canary, Roy Harper, Huntress, Lawton and now Barry Allen. I don't mind it, I just hope the show doesn't suffer with so many plot threads.

I want more Slade though.

#48 Posted by Barkley (272 posts) - - Show Bio

he is young but all that means that we should hope for a long run of the show....

#50 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7966 posts) - - Show Bio

This is big news.... Really big news....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.