Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5080 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Don't Laugh: Why Michael Bay Should Direct The Flash

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

To start, I know this is controversial on its face. Michael Bay is a polarizing director, but he doesn't get enough credit for what he gets right. In this post, I acknowledge his faults, and I weigh them against his strengths. In the end, I come out to a conclusion that not everyone may agree with. Do not try to turn this into a flame war. All constructive dialogue is welcome.

Why do I think Michael Bay be the best director for a film starring the Flash? Well, based on his previous film history, I'd say he knows the character archetypes needed in the Flash universe, and he can bring plenty of excitement and humor to a Flash movie.

I think the first Flash film should be based on his zero issue origin story and the "Gorilla Warfare" storyline. Both stories are by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul.

No Caption Provided

A) Character Archetypes

Flash

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Barry Allen is a noble, kind midwestern hero. That nobility was well filmed by Michael Bay when he made the Island, featuring the character of Lincoln, and when he made transformers, featuring the character of Major Lennox. It's easy to see Michael Bay getting Barry right.

Iris West

No Caption Provided

Iris is the tough investigator and fighter in the Flash series--like Mikaela in Transformers. She could be a bad*** love interest.

Central City PD

No Caption Provided

Captain Frye and the Central City PD probably won't be too different from the Miami Dade Police Department in Bad Boys and Bad Boys II. Barry is constantly late to work before getting his powers. He's definitely get his ear chewed out at least once by Captain Frye.

The Rogues

No Caption Provided

My favorite version of the Rogues is a bunch of silly but closely-nit criminals who have the confidence to think they can get away with crime in Flash's town. Captain Cold, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard really remind me of the the three leads in Pain and Gain.

Gorilla Grodd

No Caption Provided

This big bad really reminds me of the power hungry Megatron.

Cyborg and A.R.G.U.S.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Flash film wouldn't exist in a vortex. He'd need help figuring out his powers, and who better to explain them to him than A.R.G.U.S. and S.T.A.R. Labs? The could even help to introduce the concept of the cosmic treadmill without making it seem cheesey. And if Flash needs help fighting off the gorillas, Cyborg and some A.R.G.U.S. troops could boom tube in to help him save Central City.

Cyborg reminds me of Epps from Transformers and Mike from Bad Boys 2.

B) Excitement and Humor

Michael Bay makes some of the most fun movies in Hollywood. Period. You may not like all of them, but can you honestly say there isn't one you like? Let's see what Michael Bay has shown us he can do that should help with a Flash movie.

High Speed Chase Scenes

Stunning Cinematography

Dramatic Tension and Cinematic Wonder

Sweet Romance

Heart and Hilarity

--

Is Michael Bay a perfect director? No. His female characters are pretty much just there to be be ogled, but no one can say he hasn't had strong women in his films. His humor can be a little immature, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun or that it wouldn't fit into the world of the Flash.

The Flash isn't a hero who should be Dark Knight gritty or as focused on existentialism as Superman, but he can be one of the coolest and most fun heroes we've seen yet in the hands of Michael Bay.

Post your well-though-out comments below.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I just got into the Flash and he's becoming my fav hero right now but I've seen so Bay's film and no it doesn't work. I have this image in my head how the Flash should be portrayed and I feel Bay will just go another direction with it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Nice effort but in my opinion Bay absolutely sucks and should stay away from Superhero films.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain13

@arturocalakayvee said:

Nice effort but in my opinion Bay absolutely sucks and should stay away from Superhero films.

Sure, armchair pundits and high-horsed critics can’t stand either Bay or his movies, but that hasn’t stopped the industry’s biggest names from making their admiration for the man widely known. Steven Spielberg, for example, has produced all of Bay’s Transformers flicks, entrusting the good name of his Dreamworks production company and a surefire toy-to-film franchise to one of cinema’s most hated dudes.

And then there’s Christopher Nolan, who, in addition to directing game-changers like The Dark Knight and Inception, loves to watch Michael Bay’s work. Let’s even go one step further: James Cameron, the force behind all-time box office champs Titanic and Avatar, not to mention film’s least humble participant, openly admitted to being in awe of Bay’s Transformers direction, as seen and heard in the linked video.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/07/reasons-why-you-should-love-michael-bay/most-powerful-people-respect-the-hell-out-of-him

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Sure, armchair pundits and high-horsed critics can’t stand either Bay or his movies, but that hasn’t stopped the industry’s biggest names from making their admiration for the man widely known. Steven Spielberg, for example, has produced all of Bay’s Transformers flicks, entrusting the good name of his Dreamworks production company and a surefire toy-to-film franchise to one of cinema’s most hated dudes.

And then there’s Christopher Nolan, who, in addition to directing game-changers like The Dark Knight and Inception, loves to watch Michael Bay’s work. Let’s even go one step further: James Cameron, the force behind all-time box office champs Titanic and Avatar, not to mention film’s least humble participant, openly admitted to being in awe of Bay’s Transformers direction, as seen and heard in the linked video.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/07/reasons-why-you-should-love-michael-bay/most-powerful-people-respect-the-hell-out-of-him

I hated Titanic and Avatar, lol. The Chris Nolan thing is quite interesting though.

But really, you've obviously done a ton of research on this and I respect that, I just personally don't think Michael Bay should direct The Flash. There's a reason he has a stigma to him by fans. His negatives outweigh the positives, in my opinion.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i think he do alright i do like when he does comedy/action movie which i think would fit barry but when tries to be deep it what he suck at

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nope

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. The Flash deserves someone who can go beyond cheap stereotypical character archetypes and bring the essence of who the Flash is onto the big screen. Bay is the ultimate example of style over substance and is just not someone whose credibility in well written character driven scripts playing out in the movies is trustworthy in the slightest.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. If there was one guy who would be perfect doing a Flash movie, it would be this guy:

Brad Bird
    Brad Bird

Brad Bird without a doubt is the perfect man for the job. He understands just about every element it would take to make a successful Flash film, and Bird has yet to direct a movie that hasn't impressed with highly praised animated films such as The Incredibles,The Iron Giant, and Ratatouille, and was very much involved during the golden era of the Simpsons as well as his live action film Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. He's proven that he understand how to tell an epic cinematic superhero tale through The Incredibles as well as his sense of jaw dropping action with Ghost Protocol. If there's any person I'd want a Flash series to be in the hands of it'd be Bird for sure.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

You did good work here. But I don't want Michael Bay doing it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.