Do you care about Barry Allen being back?

Posted by Justize (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't, because I think Wally West filled the role very well. In my opinion, Wally West is the Flash. I really don't care about Barry Allen. Whose idea was to bring him back anyway? Old people? Its bitter sweet that Geoff Johns had to bring him back basically.

#1 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11266 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the wanted to bring him back for years. They even thought about Infinite Crisis but thought it was too soon. I don't mind that he is back. Although my favourite Flash was and still is Bart Allen.

#2 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

People also complained when they brought Hal Jordan back and his book went on to become the most successful Green Lantern series. Personally I think it's a good idea, Wally will always be a Titan in my mind and Barry's character is ripe for development since he only has Pre-Crisis history, if that makes any sense..

#3 Edited by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@Justize said:

" I don't, because I think Wally West filled the role very well. In my opinion, Wally West is the Flash. I really don't care about Barry Allen. Whose idea was to bring him back anyway? Old people? Its bitter sweet that Geoff Johns had to bring him back basically. "

I agree with you... 

Plus I just read the first issue and I just wanna get this of my chest... I've read the "Terminal Velocity" arc by Mark Waid back in the early 2000, in there Iris looks like a 56 year old woman. In this new series she looks 24. An old woman before and now a young babe, never mind the fact that this two are already grandparents makes me feel a little bit queasy. Maybe its because I grew up a Wally West fan, but as long as Geoff and Francis is in charge I'm keeping my hopes up for this one...
#4 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly I don't find myself ever caring about Barry, sure he was Flash before Wally but the whole I was never fast enough thing that's been portrayed in every comic he's been in since his return has gotten old, very fast (no pun intended)

#5 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally is doing a fine job being the Flash then Barry is brought back after 23 years, maybe someone in DC hasn't heard the expression "if its not broken, then don't fix it!"

#6 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about Wally or Barry....the first issue of the new Flash series was amazingly well written and Francis Manapul's art was amazing as usual

#7 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I don't care about Wally or Barry....the first issue of the new Flash series was amazingly well written and Francis Manapul's art was amazing as usual "
Ditto!
#8 Posted by danhimself (22623 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that I've ever really hated a character since their personality can change at any given time with whoever is writing them....a good writer can come a long and take a truly despicable character and turn him/her into someone that people can relate to and care about on the same note a bad writer can come a long and take a truly beloved character and turn them into someone that we want to see dead the very next issue....as long is the book is well written then I don't care who's in it

#9 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind that Barry is back, he was the Flash when I got into comics, so to see him back is cool... what bugs me is that Wally has been kicked to the curb... I haven't seen him in much since Barry came back... was Wally even in Blackest Night? It just seems that DC has shoved him to the sidelines... like they are saying... "Thanks for being The Flash for the past 20 odd years but we got Barry back so you're not needed any more?" 

If anyone can correct me on Wally's appearances, please do... 

Besides... Jay Garrick = Greatest Flash EVER!
#10 Posted by tensor (4634 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i grew up on Barry, so lets hope they can keep the flash icon going.  Wally i just hope wally gets more showing an not like kyle an hal.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (84990 posts) - - Show Bio

Its okay with me I guess.  I grew up with Barry as the Flash, but he was never one of my favorites.  Its good to see him with the other silver and bronze (my era) age DC icons.  They brought back Hal and Ollie, so why not Barry?  Hell, its amazing he stayed dead for as long as he did.  Arthur's back now to as of the conclusion of "Blackest Night."  Bruce next and its all good.  I will admit I thought Wally West was a great replacement for Barry and lived up to his legacy in every way.  He really won me over as the Flash.  In fact, along with Dick Grayson, I think he has done the best job possible of growing up and carrying the mantle of his mentor. Wally had a harder job than Dick because he had to fill his mentor's shoes by taking up his heroic identity.  Something Dick didn't have to do until well after he established himself as a full-grown hero(Nightwing) separate from his mentor.  I do hope DC  thinks of a way to depict Wally now that will do him justice.  He is a great character and he deserves great treatment.

#12 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally ftw.

I pray he doesnt just get kicked to the curb. 

@The Sadhu:
I havent read to much Blackest Night, but if you are really curious just go to Wally's appearances here on the Vine and see if any Blackest Nights pops up as an appearance.

#13 Posted by daredevil21134 (12090 posts) - - Show Bio

I ove the fact that Barrt Allen is back
#14 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Barry being back, for me he is THE definitive Flash!

#15 Posted by daredevil21134 (12090 posts) - - Show Bio

I so agree with you.I love the who foorensic thing going on its a cool day job
#16 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Theodore said:

AGREED 100%

#17 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I'm enjoying the current Flash title, I don't really care that it's Barry filling out the costume. For my entire comic reading experience, Wally West was the flash, and that worked quite well for me. I understand that for older readers who started their reading experience with Barry as the Flash, that his return is a return to old glory. I'm enjoying the current book, but I think I'd probably feel closer to the character if it were "my" Flash.

#18 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Theodore: For guys who started reading prior to 1985, Barry Allen is the definitive Flash. For me, Wally West has been the Flash most of my life and I don't really relate to Barry.

#19 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

@Theodore said:

AGREED 100%

qft

#20 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Wally....

#21 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

I miss Wally....

I miss Barry's fans :(

#22 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9172 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him being in the New 52 Flash series

#23 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Barry over Wally,

but old man Jay is <3 lol

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fuchsia_Nightingale: Not so old anymore. Go check out E2!

#25 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: I'm hoping to ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.