Confirmed: DC Dissolves Barry Allen and Iris West's Marriage in 'New 52'

• 111 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

It's official according to the most recent blog post on DC's SOURCE that Barry Allen also known as The Flash will not only be a single man in the upcoming DC revamp, but he will never have married Iris West. That's right, they are erasing the Barry/Iris marriage completely out of continuity. In fact, in Barry's all new ongoing series 'The Flash,' he will be dating his co-worker Patty Spivot.

The Flash is a single man. He’s a bachelor who has never been married. Yes, folks — in the post-FLASHPOINT world, Barry Allen has not only never dated Iris West, but he’s dating someone else entirely in issue #1! And that someone is…his longtime coworker Patty Spivot!

Perhaps the end of the marriage between Barry Allen and Iris West won't make national news headlines like the Lois Lane/Clark Kent marriage did, but the dissolution of their marriage is in no way less important to comics and comic fans. In fact, I would venture to say that the Barry/Iris marriage was more interesting and more developed than Lois and Clark, even if it wasn't nearly as popular. What do you think of the news about Barry Allen being a single guy who has never been married?

Update: Barry Allen's marriage status in the New 52 was actually revealed to us at Comic-Con! Watch Tony's interview with Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato for more details.

Source: DC Source

#1 Edited by redwingx (219 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dont care. This guy should be dead. Poor Wally :(

#2 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

What! Well..well..that's really not too bad imo..but still.....Well.. Doesn't matter now. I'm still reading Flash!

#3 Posted by noj (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I heard about this along time ago, maybe they mentioned something about it at comic con? Either way hopefully it will pave the way for some interesting stories. Barry Allen has pretty much always been married, or dating Iris so we really havent seen a single/on the market Barry.

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio
@noj said:
I feel like I heard about this along time ago, maybe they mentioned something about it at comic con? Either way hopefully it will pave the way for some interesting stories. Barry Allen has pretty much always been married, or dating Iris so we really havent seen a single/on the market Barry.
Yeah, I knew too.
#5 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I read this on Francis Manapul's Twitter feed months ago. Weird that Bart Allen even exists if his grandfather never got married. And now Barry is dating Hot Pursuit? And this must mean that Wally West was never Kid Flash. Because how could he if Barry isn't even dating Iris...?

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11707 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMN!!!!! poor Barry.......

#7 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

their marriage is what kept the book going! the public knew his identity and his wife and that is what made it good! now this? lets see what happens!!!!!

#8 Edited by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Scott Lobdell already mention this when talking about Bart?

EDIT: 
@TheMess1428
Scott Lobdell said Bart's origin changes. DC is trying to maintain previous events even while changing others. Wally being Kid Flash/The Flash is a big enough deal to enough people that I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work. They did for Bart.

#9 Posted by noj (1038 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
I read this on Francis Manapul's Twitter feed months ago. Weird that Bart Allen even exists if his grandfather never got married. And now Barry is dating Hot Pursuit? And this must mean that Wally West was never Kid Flash. Because how could he if Barry isn't even dating Iris...?
Just because they arent dating doesnt mean that they dont know each other. In the source article it is mentioned that Iris will still be a supporting cast member, so maybe they are friends and Wally still met Barry through Iris. Heck maybe they even dated at some point previously but they ended it.
#10 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@-Vigil-: I believe it was first leaked at Comic-Con but it's being confirmed now.

#11 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@noj said:
Just because they arent dating doesnt mean that they dont know each other. In the source article it is mentioned that Iris will still be a supporting cast member, so maybe they are friends and Wally still met Barry through Iris. Heck maybe they even dated at some point previously but they ended it.
I like the idea of them being exes. Reminds me of the Spider-Man/Mary Jane marriage deletion.
#12 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

@-Vigil-: I believe it was first leaked at Comic-Con but it's being confirmed now.

It just amazes me how long it can take a company to confirm something that is basically common knowledge.
#13 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they're determined not to keep any couple together...or so it seems. 

#14 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio
@mikeclark1982 said:
their marriage is what kept the book going! the public knew his identity and his wife and that is what made it good! now this? lets see what happens!!!!!
uhhh...his identity wasn't public
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Already knew it.

#16 Posted by _Marco_Smith_ (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's FTBB?!

#17 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@-Vigil-: I know...but sometimes information that they didn't want to become public knowledge gets leaked :-/

#18 Posted by SC (11937 posts) - - Show Bio

Marriage is boring. I want Barry to have his own Youtube channel where he gives advice on uhm, and blog and and like... maybe his best friend is a giant imaginary shoe, I mean... wow deep, plus like meta. 

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92075 posts) - - Show Bio
@redwingx
THISSSS
#20 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:

Already knew it.

This, and i dont mind Barry dating Patty, i like her :)
#21 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMNATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::starts cursing every swear word under the sun:: Seriously, with this, how can Bart Allen even exist because of this relationship being retconned?  Just when I was thinking this New 52 was gonna be great and then they pull something like this.  Bad enough they pulled a "One More Day" on Lois and Clark, but now this?! I'm just curious what DC's motives are behind this.  Is marriage an overrated concept in comics now? I'm starting to think it is in comics.

#22 Posted by xScorchedx (74 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is not so surprising that the Post-Flashpoint Flash would undergo drastic changes. I wonder what else they will change?

#23 Posted by torp66 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a shame. Barry & Iris were my favorite couple in the DCU, after the Dibnys, of course.

#24 Posted by GothamRed (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

umm, okay, was anyone really clammering for this to be kept in, I mean I don't dislike it but still, Wally anyone, what's he up to in this universe?

#25 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

So, that's why DC is deliberately pushing Wally into Limbo. No me gusta, guys. I don't like it. I hope this doesn't make Wally even more irrelevant, I was introduced to Flash by Wally! :(

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (7075 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess its true with DC; Being married and/or have kids makes you unrelatable to the new target audience.
Next time: Bruce Wayne gets reconned back to a graduate student to make him more relatable to new readers...

#27 Edited by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio
@redwingx said:

I agree
#28 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio

WE DON'T NEED THESE WOMEN TYING OUR SUPERHEROES DOWN.

#29 Posted by Darkchild (40542 posts) - - Show Bio

OK NOW IM ANGRY! 

At first when the info that Wally might be written out of existance it was slightly bothersome but Wally had limelight for a long time, now back to my main man Barry. 

But now they are taking Iris entirely out of the equation, they BEST have her at some point meet him cuz this is ridiculous. My greatest fandom for Barry is that he is a family man, WTF PEOPLE 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#30 Posted by hitechlolife (194 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Animal Man still has his family. That would be the one dissolved marriage that'd raise my ire. Are there any other married superheros left? From the big 2 I can only think of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones and the aforementioned Animal Man.

#31 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

And yet another DC book I will not be buying. 

DC:  Saving me money!

#32 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus: Hey as long as Batman still got raped I'm happy.
#33 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Same as Lois and Clark
#34 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people knew it was coming, but it kind of sucks. Why are Marvel and DC so dead set against having an A list character married?

#35 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

::shakes my head:: appealing to the @$$ end of Generation Y and the beginning of Generation Z kids to buy comics. That's what this is doing.  Marriage is an alien concept to their kind.  Therefore...abolish established marriages in DCU.  Simple as that.

#36 Posted by Icarusflies (12246 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darkchild said:

OK NOW IM ANGRY! At first when the info that Wally might be written out of existance it was slightly bothersome but Wally had limelight for a long time, now back to my main man Barry. But now they are taking Iris entirely out of the equation, they BEST have her at some point meet him cuz this is ridiculous. My greatest fandom for Barry is that he is a family man, WTF PEOPLE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wally was the real family man. While Barry abandoned his kids in the future, Wally was raising his in the present. Jai and Iris, remember?

#37 Posted by Oedipus_Rex (40 posts) - - Show Bio
@torp66 said:
Such a shame. Barry & Iris were my favorite couple in the DCU, after the Dibnys, of course.
Hey!  There's a question.  Are Ralph and Sue now alive in the new 52?
#38 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio
@shawn87 said:
I guess they're determined not to keep any couple together...or so it seems. 
They are breaking up a lot of characters...a lot of iconic couples.
#39 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooo how is Bart still alive??????

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47 said:
Exactly what I'm thinking. Already the New 52 has a huge contradiction and the new DCU's barely a few days old!
#41 Posted by pikahyper (10349 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
@redwingx
THISSSS
agreed, out of all the speedsters I always found Barry to be the most boring and his return makes his sacrifice in the original Crisis less significant and invalidates what made him so great.

It is annoying that everyone is breaking up though, I realize marriage isn't as big a deal these days but do they really have to dissolve all these good marriages just to fit in with societies current unattached promiscuous nature.
#42 Posted by Comicfan47 (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus: Ahhh and i dont even know the time line yet lol its confusing
#43 Posted by pikahyper (10349 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
::shakes my head:: appealing to the @$$ end of Generation Y and the beginning of Generation Z kids to buy comics. That's what this is doing.  Marriage is an alien concept to their kind.  Therefore...abolish established marriages in DCU.  Simple as that.
exactly, marriage means so little these days, it is disturbing how often I see young girls get married and they could care less and because of it we now have the term "starter husband" and it is common practice... 

what happened to the days of comics setting examples and teaching kids right and wrong and to have morals, now they just mimic our horribly imperfect society and make the US look even worse to other countries that import US comics.
#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11707 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:

WE DON'T NEED THESE WOMEN TYING OUR SUPERHEROES DOWN.

oh please. you just mad because DH wont tie YOU down. take that in any context you want.
#45 Posted by frogjitsu (471 posts) - - Show Bio

What is with this trend with Comic companies dissolving their heroes' marriages?  What is so wrong about reading about a married super hero?  Married people can be just as interested as non-married people.  I really don't see the point in it.

#46 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm disappointed because they were favorite couple in the DCU.

#47 Posted by The Stegman (20723 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah...don't really care, i never really liked Iris

#48 Posted by Burnstar1230 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see where this goes. They never said that Barry and Iris will never get together.

#49 Edited by sweatboy (772 posts) - - Show Bio
@Comicfan47 said:
And Barry met Wally through Iris too!!! 

now  i used to watch the Flash TV show with John Wesley Shipp in it, and Barry dated Patty there, (along with a few other girls, even though the reason he fell out with Iris early on was because Barry WANTED to marry her but Iris was AFRAID) 

Comparing Barry and Wally, Barry was a "bore" as described by his friend Hal, he's never changing, but hey he's always happy. Same job, "same girl". Wally lived on the fast lane, (yes, he eventually got married, yes. But MOSTLY he was a single guy, and he was still a kid even when he was working as THE Flash.) i think i'm stating the obvious here, and it maybe the whole point of this thread, but what defined Barry was he was married, and what defined Wally back then, was that he was a fun loving bachelor, like Johnny Storm or something? Barry and Iris, as i later learned were like... 2 things that go together, like salt and pepper, or rather 2 things you CAN'T HAVE without the other, like guns and bullets (not the most romantic coupling but you need one for the other to work) 

generally the RedheadedAtrocitus said:

I do remember a time when i was young and thought it was gay to be married and cool guys would always roll alone, guess i fell into that category. But hey we had 2 Flashes to fulfill our desires, Wally had the single life and the occasional gf, while Barry was  hapilly married. It makes everyone happy. But yeah just because he's with another girl doesn't mean Barry's personality HAS to change, i guess. Patty's nice and they would work well. Except without Iris, there would be no WALLY WEST!!!!!!

@torp66 said:

i haven't read so much of them but yes, i've liked what i've read, they were like the best couple in DC
#50 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I like Patty. She and Barry will make a cute couple. I mean, I know that Barry and Iris are supposed to be the definite Flash couple, but I would like to see how long will Barry stay with Patty. 

Also, I would be surprised that Wally's marriage with Linda was retconned away. LOL!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.