Blackest Night: The Flash #1 Review

Posted by G-Man (29392 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I have said that I'm getting a little burnt out on Blackest Night (the same goes for Dark Reign).  Despite that, I was really looking forward to this book.  The spin-off mini-series have been pretty good for the most part.  With Geoff Johns writing this and Scott Kolins doing the art, it should be an instant win, right?

I hate to say that I was slightly disappointed.  With Blackest Night already more than half way over, you'd think this issue would be full of action.  I'm not saying that there wasn't a decent amount.  With all the dead Rogues, you'd think we'd see a bunch of Black Lantern versions.  We see a couple but not nearly enough.  The next issue definitely looks like we'll see some heavy action.  It was just too bad there wasn't more here.  I felt like it ended abruptly (like my video, get it?).

Geoff Johns does give us a little more into Barry Allen's struggle of returning from "the dead."  I really dig Scott Kolin's art.  If you're a fan of Barry Allen's, you'll want to pick this up.  Otherwise, I'm a little surprised that it doesn't have a bigger impact in the whole Blackest Night story.  Perhaps the next two issues will pick up on that.
Staff
#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of the few tie ins that I really liked, the ending has got me really excited for next issue. Zombie Rogue War in Iron Heights just screams awesome
#2 Edited by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man could be a  voice actor in my book. And I'm not joking.
By the way I loved this book and BN:WW I can't wait for the next issue.

#3 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
I enjoyed it.
#4 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Barry... 
So I'll pass.
#5 Posted by Clara Mass (7661 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoyed this book as well as Blackest Night: Wonder Woman <3

#6 Posted by JLAsuperdude (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Nowhere close to being tired of Blackest Night I am of Dark Reign though.
#7 Posted by King Saturn (222790 posts) - - Show Bio
I havent got to this one yet
#8 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it bother anyone else that Rebirth and Cry for justice have sorta been like swallowed up?  I mean A) BN Flash takes place after Flash Rebirth ends, so the last issue (6 i think) is getting completely steam rolled by this mini ( i did like he issue,  Kollins art was great in this issue, def improvement over the Solomon Grundy (which was pretty tight)). 

And the first issue robinson took over in JLA is after Cry for Justice, and JLA is in full blackest night swing.  With the FEB solicitations out, Cry for Justice ends a month before BN ends.  Not really that big of a deal, but annoying.  I know that in a year when this stuff is trade'd up, it wont matter since the general continuity's integrity is still pretty much impeccable from a linear time line perspective. 

But why couldn't DC just drop Cry For Justice in a Trade like in december? or Nov.  Or the Same with rebirth.  I would much rather get the mini's in trade format, with the whole shot at once then slopping along month to month. 

Would any one else prefer a Miniseries trade policy?  Just keep on going books ongoing, and Mini's as just trades or like Prestige?

#9 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was just okay, the same with Wonder Woman. But next month's issue sounds epic.

#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm having the same issue with the current story going on in the manga One Piece. There is a huge war going one of Pirates versus Marines. It's flashy and exciting, but there are so many huge two-page panels that the chapters are over so quickly. Yeah, there is a new one each week, but I'm getting tired and I want it all over.

I'm sure the feeling is even worse with only monthly series, such as this.

@JLAsuperdude:
I think it's worse with Marvel's Dark Reign, because that is just the offshoot of Secret Invasion. Which was the offshoot of Civil War. Now we have The Siege starting. Here's hoping this wont be another in the long run of year long affairs that is just the precursor to yet another "Earth Shattering" Event.

#11 Posted by mattydeNero (519 posts) - - Show Bio

See, what I am thinking is this issue, much like BN: Wonder Woman #1 takes place before everyone gathers at the end of BN #5.  Possibly issue #2 in both titles respectfully will take place AFTER that.  As you can notice on that last page of BN #5 Wonder Woman is there.  Meanwhile, Flash is doing what he's doing.  You have to realize that Flash multitasks like a mother.  With that in mind, this could've all been going on during a battle in the BN self-titled mini.   

IMO having six or seven Rogues was a smart move for Johns.  Especially with possible new Flash readers that have kept up with BN's events and are wanting to rock some BN: Flash to go along with the event.  There have been so MANY Rogues.  It'd be to confusing to a 15 year old kid that is unfamiliar with the Flash(es).  I like Scott Kollins art a lot for any BN title.  He draws Grundy perfectly, and that is really the only reason to read any of that recently short series. 

The important thing about this series is that Flash has been a focal character.  More important than that, it's Geoff Johns.  If you're not a fan of his work, you're not even reading any of this.  If you are a fan, you have read this comic already.  Johns' has a masterplan at work, we have a LONG way to go.
#12 Edited by CM9 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they bring Thaddeus Thawne back was he on the dead rouges list?
#13 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant wait for next issue. everything in this one screams for awesome. 

@G-Man: 
 wow, you and i have such different tastes to comics. I'm thinking maybe you didnt like this one becuase you dont seem to be a big fan of the rouges. This story is half about them and their ties (which are actually the better parts of this issue, i'll be honest), and if your ignoring the emphasis on them and looking for more Flash, your sure to miss half the spectacle. 
 soooo excited to see how Captain Cold handles everything. And Boomerang. I want Glider and Boomer senior to get together so we can find out for real if shes Boomer junior's mom or not, as i (and the rouges) where never really convinced.

#14 Posted by LFCMANIA (79 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think you can really compare dark reign to blackest night. blackest night a massive event for dc and dark reign also for marvel but blackest night is more popular and people get fed up of dark reign - BLACKEST NIGHT ALL THE WAY !
#15 Posted by Argentino_18 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash Rogues are the really badass villians, Captain Cold saying he will kill zombies is extremely Badass

#16 Posted by LFCMANIA (79 posts) - - Show Bio

after watching your review g-man.. i feel very disappointed with the art in this book. The cover is = WOW looks fantastic. however, it is very misleading as i feel the inside art is slightly cartoonish. I would definately have liked to see doug mahnke or ivan reis do the art although they are busy doing the green lantern/blackest night series. their art bring this "zombie world" (if you like)    to life and just looks more realistic ? 

DOUG MAHNKE (green lantern) 

IVAN REIS (BLACKEST NIGHT) 

SCOTT KOLINS (BLACKEST NIGHT FLASH)

#17 Edited by Sandbox24 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

The story left you wanting more, G-Man?  

Well, isn't that the sign of a good comic??
#18 Posted by Zniperking (281 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't realize Solovar was dead. When did he died?

#19 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Barry Allen/ flash fan so............. I am definitely picking this up!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Posted by G-Man (29392 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim: "not a fan of the Rogues"?  I did emphasize how because of the characters and the dead Rogues, that's what made Flash deserve a Blackest Night tie-in mini-series.  I also mentioned that what I'm looking forward to is the Rogues kicking butt next issue and that I would've liked to have seen some of that this issue.  So my basic overall complaint was that they didn't appear enough in this book.
Staff
#21 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: well thats what im saying. They had about half the comic, but if you saw them as an extension of the Flash's story instead of a Bad@$$  group of their own, with their own issues and conflicts, you didn't get the brunt of it. That "Rouges Dead" "Rouges Living" line up wasnt for the Flash, who probably wont even see the rouges for more than a few pages. That was for the Roues on Rouge fight that Cold and Co. just walked into.
 Flash had a couple of emotional run ins, but the Rouges pretty much just threw themselves headlong into all their dead friends, family, and predecessors.  They hyped up the Rouges this issue way more than they did the flash.
they just couldn't put the proper hype AND all the action into one comic. And you cant hype the action after the action...

@LFCMANIA:
if you actually look at the cover, its the same art. I didnt notice it until i was pulling it out of my bag to read it, but its the same. It just has all the flash of a cover.
Scott's art does justice in every sense of the word. Its just not epic. But epic is a style. If every artist was epic, there wouldn't be any epic art for the epic stories. Just more of the same.
 yes, this art is simplistic, but its very detailed. and very true to their characters (Flash=bold. Cold=grizzly.Black Lanterns=nasty....). 
 Its very much like Cory Walker's work on Invincible. Simple, but still awesome.
#22 Posted by Rothschild (1311 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked this book... I dunno why people complain after 1 frickin book... If they dont lay ground work how can they tell the story...

#23 Posted by Ectoplasmic (81 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Grim: "not a fan of the Rogues"?  I did emphasize how because of the characters and the dead Rogues, that's what made Flash deserve a Blackest Night tie-in mini-series.  I also mentioned that what I'm looking forward to is the Rogues kicking butt next issue and that I would've liked to have seen some of that this issue.  So my basic overall complaint was that they didn't appear enough in this book. "

There was a panel where Barry was remembering what Professor Zoom said in Flash:Rebirth "I have a resurrection of my own in the days ahead, Barry. Thanks to a good friend of yours." If Zoom was referring to Blackest Night as his resurrection do you think that means all these Black Lanterns have a possibility of coming back?
#24 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like a cool story

#25 Posted by Starheart (230 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ectoplasmic said:
" @G-Man said:
" @Grim: "not a fan of the Rogues"?  I did emphasize how because of the characters and the dead Rogues, that's what made Flash deserve a Blackest Night tie-in mini-series.  I also mentioned that what I'm looking forward to is the Rogues kicking butt next issue and that I would've liked to have seen some of that this issue.  So my basic overall complaint was that they didn't appear enough in this book. "
There was a panel where Barry was remembering what Professor Zoom said in Flash:Rebirth "I have a resurrection of my own in the days ahead, Barry. Thanks to a good friend of yours." If Zoom was referring to Blackest Night as his resurrection do you think that means all these Black Lanterns have a possibility of coming back? "
Well, at this point it is inevitable that at least some will come back. So far with the selection of Black Lanterns I don't see proof for either a complete resurrection or no resurrection. 
#26 Posted by Hellos (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

<3 pacman
#27 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

That´s lame. I mean abrupt endings? Geoff Johns you´re better than that.

#28 Posted by Gearo (825 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: There shouldn't be a Black Lantern Flash because Barry Allen became Black Flash in The Flash: Rebirth 2
#29 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to pick this up. Black Lantern Capt. Boomerang? This I gotta see.
#30 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read this today and I liked it!!!! ....I really carnt wait for the flash ongoing!!!!
so does anybody know when the new flash ongoing series comes out???  

#31 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gearo said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir: There shouldn't be a Black Lantern Flash because Barry Allen became Black Flash in The Flash: Rebirth 2 "

It wasn't a "Black Lantern Flash"  It was a Black Lantern Reverse-Flash
#32 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I still need to get Flash: Rebirth.

#33 Posted by Adam683 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously confused!!!!! 
Before I start im not a huge Flash Fan picking up Rogues Revenge and the Fastest Man Alive series and reading Rebirth im left with a few Questions

1. :Bart is a Kid again?
  2. Wally is Back! When and How did this Happen?
  3. Zoom (Reverse Flash) isnt Dead in Rebirth, or not just yet, is this set after Rebirth?

God time travel is confusing!!

#34 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

The part where you lose is where you kinda say that Geoff Johns = good.

#35 Posted by daredevil21134 (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

good review

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.