Awesome Toy Picks: White Lantern Flash

Posted by G-Man (34459 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a close hands-on look at some cool comic book collectibles. This week's pick isn't exactly a newer one but I recently came across it in stores and it got me wondering (plus I hadn't picked it up earlier). Let's take a look at White Lantern: Flash.

As you can see, this figure is from Wave 20. It was curious that we'd still be seeing White Lantern/Brightest Day figures in stores. There was mention of White Lanterns during Flashpoint but there hasn't been any mention of them in the "New 52."

== TEASER ==

Which Flash is this? Well, at least that's one place where they're staying consistent. This Flash is Barry Allen. The back of the packaging describes the situation as to why he's a White Lantern. I wonder how much sense it'd be to someone that doesn't know anything about Blackest Night or Brightest Day. But if you haven't seen the figures in this line, you can see who else was included.

The packaging doesn't let you see exactly how cool this figure is. It turned out it looks especially cool with the sun shining down. Here's some 'action' shots.

Of course the nice thing about these figures and there being so many different 'waves' is they stay in proportion to each other. That way you can always mix and match the waves when you 'play' with them.

You can see this figure comes with one of Nekron's legs in order to build a giant version of him. I do think the build-a-figure idea is cool, but I don't usually get all the figures in the wave. I have so many spare body parts lying around, it's a little disturbing.

That's it for this week. I'll be taking a vacation next week. There's a chance we'll have to skip Awesome Toy Picks next week but it will return the following week after!

Staff
#1 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! Lets see an Atrocitus figure next DC!

#2 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a cool figure!

I've always liked the look of this figure. I also like the look of some of the other figures in this wave.

#3 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

meh. reverse flash looks better

#4 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of the "free" figurine if you buy a wave. I am not buyer of toys (no place here) but this is nice !

#5 Posted by doomsilver (643 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks awesome. Haven't had toys in a long time though.

#6 Posted by deadpool25mm (599 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks Cool. Nice pictures!

#7 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks more gray then white oh well, still pretty awesome. Though do they have Blue Latern Flash? I really liked the blue on Flash.

#8 Posted by frochez (194 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't buy all the figures in a wave, but you do buy lots of figures from different waves, can you do a sort of mix-and-match with all the spare body parts? Would they fit together, or are the joints for each figure inccompatable? You could make an interesting... person with all the spare parts, like a super-power Frankenstein's monster.

#9 Posted by Mahzian (117 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like this figure, with the minor exception of Matty cheaping out and keeping energy Superman's symbol on the back, that's pretty cheap, other than that it fits in really well with the other DCUC rainbow lanterns

#10 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

That's actually pretty cool.

#11 Posted by All_Around_Nerd (58 posts) - - Show Bio

No why must you show the back now I need all the figures!

#12 Posted by luke_kerridge (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@All_Around_Nerd said:

No why must you show the back now I need all the figures!

#13 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't collect toys, but this looks awesome, and makes me wish I'd kept some of my old Spider-man and beast wars figures.

#14 Posted by nickthedevil (12565 posts) - - Show Bio

No. No. That should be labeled Eobard Thawne. IIRC Eobard was the White lantern, not Flash.

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome I say!

#16 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon said:

#17 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I have seen all the wave, it's awesome but I have (again) no money :(

#18 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen other series where he is more "white" this one looks a little too "grey" for me.

#19 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickthedevil said:

No. No. That should be labeled Eobard Thawne. IIRC Eobard was the White lantern, not Flash.

you aren't recalling correctly....Thawne was a Black Lantern...only heroes became White Lanterns

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@nickthedevil said:

you aren't recalling correctly....Thawne was a Black Lantern...only heroes became White Lanterns

You're both right, actually. He was both a Black Lantern and a White Lantern.

#21 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

@nickthedevil said:

You're both right, actually. He was both a Black Lantern and a White Lantern.

are you sure that's not just a cover pic...I don't remember him actually getting a White ring....the only people I remember getting them were the resurrected heroes who Nekron had turned

#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: According to his page (I don't actually recall myself), it was technically two different Thawne's at different points in his timeline (if I'm reading correctly).

During Blackest Night, as Owen Harkness and Tar Pit inspect the Rogues' secret graveyard, a black ring finds the body of Eobard Thawne (where he was buried after Barry snapped his neck). Thawne then seeks out Barry, hoping to get an emotional rise out of him. However, this Thawne has no knowledge of the events of Flash: Rebirth. Barry then deduces that this Thawne has no knowledge of the resurrection that Thawne mentioned to Barry whilst they were in the negative speed force. However, Black Lantern Thawne and resurrected Thawne (currently incarcerated in Iron Heights) are still connected, as demonstrated when Captain Cold, who was investigating Iron Heights with the Rogues at the same time Black Lantern Thawne was battling with Barry, sets of a cold grenade, freezing the penetentiary. Resurrected Thawne is frozen along with the rest of the inmates, and Black Lantern Thawne is frozen as well. Barry then concludes that this Black Lantern Thawne is indeed the same one that is in Iron Heights, but at different points in their timeline. 

Later, the means of Professor Zoom's resurrection are made clear. He is one of the twelve heroes and villains to be resurrected by aWhite Lantern ring. Through his white lantern ring, Eobard was granted life from the Life Entity because his role in Barry's resurrection.

After his resurrection Thawne states that he is going home. Flash almost apprehends him, but is distracted by Digger Harkness and Thawne escapes, presumably into the future, thus setting the stage for the events of The Flash: Rebirth.

Most recently Thawne was freed from Iron Heights by Harkness, who wanted to know what Thawne had seen in visions since his resurrection. Thawne provides him with no answers, only stating that freeing Thawne will have negative implications for Harkness in the future. Thawne then disappears Into the future

#23 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself: According to his page (I don't actually recall myself), it was technically two different Thawne's at different points in his timeline (if I'm reading correctly).

During Blackest Night, as Owen Harkness and Tar Pit inspect the Rogues' secret graveyard, a black ring finds the body of Eobard Thawne (where he was buried after Barry snapped his neck). Thawne then seeks out Barry, hoping to get an emotional rise out of him. However, this Thawne has no knowledge of the events of Flash: Rebirth. Barry then deduces that this Thawne has no knowledge of the resurrection that Thawne mentioned to Barry whilst they were in the negative speed force. However, Black Lantern Thawne and resurrected Thawne (currently incarcerated in Iron Heights) are still connected, as demonstrated when Captain Cold, who was investigating Iron Heights with the Rogues at the same time Black Lantern Thawne was battling with Barry, sets of a cold grenade, freezing the penetentiary. Resurrected Thawne is frozen along with the rest of the inmates, and Black Lantern Thawne is frozen as well. Barry then concludes that this Black Lantern Thawne is indeed the same one that is in Iron Heights, but at different points in their timeline.

Later, the means of Professor Zoom's resurrection are made clear. He is one of the twelve heroes and villains to be resurrected by aWhite Lantern ring. Through his white lantern ring, Eobard was granted life from the Life Entity because his role in Barry's resurrection.

After his resurrection Thawne states that he is going home. Flash almost apprehends him, but is distracted by Digger Harkness and Thawne escapes, presumably into the future, thus setting the stage for the events of The Flash: Rebirth.

Most recently Thawne was freed from Iron Heights by Harkness, who wanted to know what Thawne had seen in visions since his resurrection. Thawne provides him with no answers, only stating that freeing Thawne will have negative implications for Harkness in the future. Thawne then disappears Into the future

yeah I think that's wrong...the only one of the 12 who got a ring was Deadman

#24 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not even white plastic, it's gray!!

#25 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon said:

co signed.

#26 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

So anything from before the relaunch is a "Classic" now?

G-Man Where does he get all these wonderful toys? But seriously where do you put all these toys???

#27 Posted by kartron (420 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool action figure. But what the heck is a supes symbol "S" doing at his back?????

#28 Edited by deadpool25mm (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@kartron said:

Very cool action figure. But what the heck is a supes symbol "S" doing at his back?????

Yeah i was asking myself the same thing.

#29 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

For a white lantern, his costume is really grey. I wonder why. First I thought that it might be the figure makers goof. But then I noticed this image:

Grey. Weird.

Also, I think that the lightnings on his back look kinda off. I do like the fact that he has a white lantern with him. But all in all, I`m not such a big fan of this figure. It`s okay. I just think it`s dull.

#30 Posted by nickthedevil (12565 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I know he's both, but I don't remember that Flash became a white lantern. Someone prove me wrong if I am, but as A zoom fan, I liked his run in Blackest night/Brightest Day. He had returned from Blackest night in Rebirth, that actually proceeded it. Causing a paradox and consequently saving the Rogues.

#31 Posted by MrMazz (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok that is all types of cool. Just give me a Black Flash figure now.

#32 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAAH!! I'm outta here!

LOLOL!

#33 Posted by blueninjapanther (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome. I'll totally buy that.

#34 Edited by BADJEREMIE (95 posts) - - Show Bio

I will like to have some 100 bullets(like Lono) ,Scalped, american vampire or the Governor(WALKING DEAD) busts or figures...not some kind of different colors of flash or others superheroes.I have enough of this like a brown,a yellow, a black Wolverine.Maybe I am too old for this...

#35 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh so Awesome

I just recently saw Black Lantern Jordan.

#36 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@BADJEREMIE: Yeah, DC should really release a Minutemen figure set. Maybe during the live action show, if it's going to happen that is.

I would kill if they'd make these into figures:

#37 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is there a Superman logo on his back?

#38 Posted by Mahzian (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMess1428 said:

Why is there a Superman logo on his back?

Matty cheaped out and used the same tooling as the "electric" Superman figure

#39 Posted by kamionero (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats really cool... but why does the electricity on his back have the Electro-Superman logo on it?

#40 Posted by AmishAvenger (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone know if any of the white lantern toys come with a white lantern?

#41 Posted by comiker (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Too Good! Also, the part where Captain Cold stares at the White Lantern Flash and then runs away is hilarious! I like the way Comic Vine guys arrange the toys to tell a story ..very creative!

#42 Edited by thatfunnybookguy (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageDragon: he was in the first wave of blackest night set. he's sitting on my desk. http://imgur.com/MVzpL for a pic

EDIT: Though it was DC Direct that did it. Not DCU (therein lies the problem, i hate the articulation in the limbs by DCU, more like statue case figures than making sweet scenes on my desk figures).

#43 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

It's definitely cool but I want a Really good Wally West figure.

#44 Posted by TheFatLantern (3 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks like a great figure. I've had my eye on it, now I'm definitely going to buy it. I have the Blue Lantern Corps Flash figure and I love it. A great addition to my collection.

#45 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Both this and the Reverse-Flash figures look really cool indeed.

#46 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear Santa,

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.