Follow

Baroness

Character » Baroness appears in 523 issues.

The Baroness is Cobra Commander's "Right-Hand Woman"-the second-in-command of Cobra. Ruthless, beautiful, passionate, and an efficient killer, The Baroness is a deadly enemy of the forces of freedom.

'Baroness' Step-By-Step And 'G.I. Joe Wraparound!

Avatar image for ben_templesmith
    Ben Templesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ben Templesmith

Step by Step Art. G.I. Joe Baroness One-shot! In February...

Come February, there should be a GI Joe Baroness One-shot out from IDW Publishing. I'm drawing it! (No not a movie one, from the comics stuff, which I obviously much prefer) Finally got the ok so I don't feel naughty showing a bit of how the cover 
    (or one of them) went...

Started off with a basic line drawing I did up, regular size so I can get more of a handle on it. I then blew it up & transposed it to a large toned sheet of Reeves paper.

Lots of painting. Ink, acrylic, some charcoal too I think . I kinda forgot to take many photos during this whole part of the process. Sorry! Here it is, basically finished before the computer work.

I wrote a comment for this one twice already actually, but it's been failing to load so I keep losing it.  

Suffice to say, here's the basic scan, just with a little hint of a photo mouth and nose (from a bunch I keep on file) plus a little airbrushing to flesh out and add a little realism to the faces. I do that often.

Next up I just go about darkening and lighting the image via some dodge and burn. Apart from anything it brings out the natural painty texture stuff I have going on in the original. I also drop an overlay of an old photo I took of a concrete floor, since I like the crack lines it has.  
    This was my first final in colours. I work tonally pretty much, and blend everything in in stages. Kind of a big fan of coloured lighting that gives hues to everything.
    Only, uh, problem was...I accidentally saved over the image as a jpeg only. Not really the best if you want to go to print...so I had to redo it...in the next image. This one is lost to the ether! 

The err..."final" final... I couldn't replicate the initial colours I came up with...but I don't mind this one either. A bit warmer, probably stand out on a shelf a little more perhaps.

GI Joe Wraparound before and after...

Since the Baroness went down so well, not sure if I ever showed any WIP for the other one I did, so here's a before and after.

This is pretty much the original but I had already started to add photo bits of smoke in which I then darkened up, just to add some volume kinda to the billowing smoke. Apart from that it was all tonal colour & selective little dodge and burning highlights.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

An entire G.I. Joe comic drawn by Ben?  Hot damn, I can't wait.  So glad it's not another movie adaption comic.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Well done work. I know how it can be to be working on a picture and get lost in it. You just keep working and forget to keep record of the process.

I also like using overlays of concrete floors from time to time. Something about it gives a real great texture that would take hours if not days to mimic.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bruce Vain

You did an excellent job my friend.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4  Edited By No_Name_

I love the way the Baroness looks here!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5  Edited By jakob187

Ben, you're in my top 3 artists EVER!!!  Between you, Jim Lee, and Tim Sale, I seriously can't think of anything more amazing.  I loved the work on 30 Days of Night and the Dead Space series (ESPECIALLY the Dead Space stuff since I loved the game), and this stuff looks just as cool!  It's especially interesting to see something outside of the realm of horror. 

*EDIT*  I can't believe I forgot to mention Dave McKean!!!  HOW COULD I FORGET DAVE MCKEAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Great artwork. I love when comic artist come on here and post and show us the detail that goes into the work (a new trend I hope?). I've never read a GI JOE comic but I'll buy this just because you are cool enough to come on here and promote it.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jefprice

Very pumped. I just started reading these agin

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Legacy_

Great job Ben, the art I really like which means I must buy this.  Good Luck with your bright future and that great talent you have ^_^

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice work. The photo matte sections and the light reflections are a real touch. They really work here.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

awesome as usual :-)

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

Gorgeous work as always!!  It's a shame it's GI Joe though ;)

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwh

Baroness looks best in the second to last shot, you went bloom overload n the last one and took away a bunch of small details.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

Looks ok.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Media_Master

Baroness looks rad

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Grendel

Looks like Domino on the Old Ghosts trade cover.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.