Wild Rumor: Ellen Page May Be Playing Barbara Gordon in TDKR

Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
Source 
 


Well, this week is full of more TDKR news than you can shake a stick at. Now, comes the latest rumor (courtesy of TDKR Rumors) that Ellen Page will be in The Dark Knight Rises and she will be playing Commissioner Gordon's daughter, Barbara. Of course, most fans know that she goes on to become none other than Batgirl. If this news would've emerged say...48 hrs ago, we would've all said "no way, that's not possible" but with Director Christopher Nolan dropping the huge bombshell that The Dark Knight Rises will pick-up 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight; it makes this rumor very plausible. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee that even if Page is in the film, she will don any tights. More likely, if (emphasis on if) she is in the movie it will be as a small bit part or a quick cameo.



 


In looking at this rumor even further, take this interview from way back in 2008, where MTV tried to pry whether Barbara Gordon was indeed in The Dark Knight Rises. We of course, now know that she was in the movie and appeared to be about 8 or 9 yrs old so that would maker her roughly 17 yrs old in The Dark Knight Rises.  

     With that smug smile, is it possible that Nolan knew way back then that he would be expanding the role of Barbara Gordon in the third movie?  Of course until we find out more information, take this rumor with salt at the ready!


Moderator
#1 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly hope that even with Nolan leaving the franchise after this last movie DC will continue to have Batman set in the Batverse Nolan has created, this way they could continue to expand on Batman instead of starting over again and bring in new writers, actors, and villains and continue to what Nolan started.
 
As for this rumor, I could see Ellen Page playing Barbara Gordon, not to mention that if like I hope DC would do and expand on the Bat-Universe they've created already, we could see Page return with a bigger role in the next round of Bat films.

#2 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaaaaa

I think I approve of this. But I think Barbra is a lot more action-y than say Shadowcat so I don't know if she could do it.

#3 Posted by RazzaTazz (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting he has cast almost all of Inception now into TDKR, he just needs Leonardo DiCaprio to show up as Maxie Zeus

Moderator
#4 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

That would make sense for them to skip that far ahead if they wanted to include her.

#5 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#6 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Ellen Page is a fine actress but is a terrible fit to play Babs

#7 Posted by Izaiah (5184 posts) - - Show Bio
@WarMachineMarkV said:

- Ellen Page is a fine actress but is a terrible fit to play Babs

If I'm not mistaken, many used to say the same thing about Heath Ledger as Joker...
#8 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- Ellen Page is a fine actress but is a terrible fit to play Babs

If I'm not mistaken, many used to say the same thing about Heath Ledger as Joker...

- The knock against Heath ledger was that he was not a good enough actor to pull off the part

- Ellen Page is a good actress but her look and demeanor just do not fit the character IMO, it's not a knock against her skills.

#9 Posted by BATPANEXE (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm really excited beyond words for this movie, and as a result I'm taking in information but at the same time not taking it in as

I want to experience the movie for what it is the first time I see it, with no chance of preconceived notions being in my mind. If she's in it briefly, in a large role, or as Batgirl, I am all about it. In fact, silly to some I'm sure, I really wanted to have Barb in the second feature at least in a semi-prominant role. Posting something I put up on FBook regarding this news here.

Batgirl should have her own movie. Actually why WB hasn't made a hard press to get that one going has always left me a little confused by them. It's always solid to sell the same product twice, the second in a variation or new packaging, especially if the variation stands to attract any consumers the original did not. Not saying at all Batgirl is a copy of Batman at all, of course, quite the opposite from the literal sense, but in the business and commercial angle that's the way it plays out. If there's any question to my logic I just say take a look at how well Batgirl Halloween costumes did in the open market this year (hint: very well).

#10 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to stop looking at things for this movie.

#11 Posted by Samimista (20647 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm...Interesting. Only time will tell us more about TDKR.

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

I think BOF and Batman news debunked this.

#13 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@BATPANEXE said:

I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm really excited beyond words for this movie, and as a result I'm taking in information but at the same time not taking it in as

I want to experience the movie for what it is the first time I see it, with no chance of preconceived notions being in my mind. If she's in it briefly, in a large role, or as Batgirl, I am all about it. In fact, silly to some I'm sure, I really wanted to have Barb in the second feature at least in a semi-prominant role. Posting something I put up on FBook regarding this news here.

Batgirl should have her own movie. Actually why WB hasn't made a hard press to get that one going has always left me a little confused by them. It's always solid to sell the same product twice, the second in a variation or new packaging, especially if the variation stands to attract any consumers the original did not. Not saying at all Batgirl is a copy of Batman at all, of course, quite the opposite from the literal sense, but in the business and commercial angle that's the way it plays out. If there's any question to my logic I just say take a look at how well Batgirl Halloween costumes did in the open market this year (hint: very well).

- The disaster known as the Catwoman movie sure didn't help, the movie was so far from the actual character that its not a fair comparison, but when has that stopped anyone in Hollywood?

- I'm sure there are many WB execs who look at the two as Batman related, female led solo movies and assume if one tanked the other will too.

- A Batgirl movie could be successful, but without the hype generated from at least a significant cameo in the Nolan-verse, it will be a hard sell.

#14 Posted by X9 (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Hum... Page doesn't have Barbara's face to me...but, still, I'd be nice to see Batgirl on TDKR.

#15 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

I was actually bummed that this didn't happen (regardless of whether it was Ellen or not).

Moderator
#16 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen Page is amazing, people underrated her in Inception and lets face it Hard Candy is awesome, for some reason people only cared for DiCaprio in Inception even when he was the worst acting in the movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.