Why she is still in a wheel chair.

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

She will gain the ability to walk again, eventually.

#2 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay maybe this will answer your questions:

Alex Ross: Paul Dini had this idea of putting Barbara Gordon in the Lazarus Pit to revive her...I thought it was a great idea, and we pitched then-Batman editor Denny O'Neil with these drawings of that costume design. The idea of using the red instead of the traditional yellow was meant to invoke the idea that coming from the Lazarus Pit, she was in a way, more compromised as a character...And...that went nowhere. Denny shot it down, because, according to him, everybody loves Barbara Gordon as Oracle and as a handicapped character. The theory was that DC didn't have enough handicapped characters, so they weren't going to do anything with Barbara as she was. And the design went into the drawer."

John Ostrander (creator of Oracle): "We have, over the years, on those occasions when I have worked with the character, gotten some letters from those who have disabilities of one stripe or another and all have been very supportive. I feel very proud for my part in creating Oracle."

What makes the runaway success of the Oracle character more remarkable is that it began during an era where bleak heroes with big guns were ruling the day. Without much fanfare, Barbara Gordon has become the most popular handicapped character since Charles Xavier. In fact, Oracle's nature as a handicapped superhero and a role model is almost never mentioned by the company or fans...There WAS some idea of her being a role model, I think... We wanted her to cope with what had happened to her and becoming, in many ways, more effective as Oracle than she ever was as Batgirl. And we knew that others with disabilities might look at her and feel good reading about her...I don't think people 'dance around' her disabilities as they don't want to focus on them but on her character. These shouldn't be stories about a disabled person; they are stories about a compelling fascinating character who HAPPENS to be in a wheelchair and I think that's correct. Barbara isn't her handicap; there's more to her than that

Well now we know why she is still in a wheelchair.

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"Nobody says:
"She will gain the ability to walk again, eventually."
nah, there's really no reason to do it"
Maybe not now, but eventually.
#5 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"Nobody says:
"Nighthunter says:
"Nobody says:
Maybe not now, but eventually. "
let's be honest Cassandra is a better batgirl and oracle is a more interesting character"
I don't think she would be Batgirl again. She will regain her leg control, but she won't come back as Batgirl.
#6 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

nah, there's really no reason to do it

#7 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"Nighthunter says:
"Nobody says:
Maybe not now, but eventually."

let's be honest Cassandra is a better batgirl and oracle is a more interesting character

#8 Posted by Shatterstar (4537 posts) - - Show Bio

You've got some inside info or something Nobody?

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Shatterstar says:

"You've got some inside info or something Nobody?"
Nope, I'm just making a guesstimate. She will have some new identity like Dick got Nightwing or Jason has "Red Robin" or whatever.
#10 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? Because she's a f--king quitter, that's why! Grow up and walk it off, white devil.

#11 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"you could have posted it here lol
" />http://www.comicvine.com/message/regaining-the-ability-to-walk/364119/&c=27&27"

i did no one responded for days so I put it here.

Also, the red costume Alex Ross is talking about was later used in the new Batwoman costume. The mask was changed to a somewhat resemble the 60's Batwoman.

Gottheit says:

"Why? Because she's a f--king quitter, that's why! Grow up and walk it off, white devil."

Keep the 'F' word out of my forums.
Post Edited:2008-01-29 14:06:43

#12 Posted by Waver (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Gottheit says:

"Why? Because she's a f--king quitter, that's why! Grow up and walk it off, white devil."

Grow up.

Oracle is a symbol of hope for those who have a disability. Thats what I believe and I'm sticking with it.

#13 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

well acording to batman beyond she must walk again..... if is that, batman beyond is the future...

see that's why i disaproove future stuff it mess up whit the fan's mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :p 

batman beyond she is the comisioner... but now she is the oracle and cant walk... anyone has a theory? 

#14 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Putting her in a wheelchair was the best thing to happen to Barbara Gordon.

#15 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she's:

A) The DC equivilent of Charles Xavier.

B) The relative icon for comic book readers who are in wheel chairs.

It really annoys me how everyone in these comics is muscular (except the Joker), has fake boobs the size of their heads, wears liquid latex costumes (except the Joker), is caucasian, & is heterosexual (except Batwoman & the Joker). Where's the variety? Where are the fatsos & the skinnies? Where are the loose cloth costumes, the bisexuals, asexuals & homosexuals, why is no one black, Ocianic, native American, Indian, or Asian? Where are all the OTHER people becides Oracle who have physical instead of mental disablilities?

#16 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio
G'bandit said:
"well acording to batman beyond she must walk again..... if is that, batman beyond is the future...

see that's why i disaproove future stuff it mess up whit the fan's mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :p 

batman beyond she is the comisioner... but now she is the oracle and cant walk... anyone has a theory? "
I concider Batman Beyond to be an Otherworlds series, rather than a continuation of Batman TAS & Batman/Superman. None of the writers take the events of Batman Beyond into concideration & so concidering it canon will only create more & more plot holes as time goes on.
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:
"Putting her in a wheelchair was the best thing to happen to Barbara Gordon.

"
>O
#18 Posted by inferiorego (22478 posts) - - Show Bio

Oracle>Batgirl... point blank.

BatgirlBabs
said:

"
I agree 100%
Staff
#19 Posted by NightFang (9960 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:

"
             It made her a better hero.
#20 Posted by AntiHeroMofo (73 posts) - - Show Bio
@likalaruku:
Yea...I wanna know where they are too. I guess they're not the writer's ideal of heroes. But with time let's hope that'll change.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.