This explains perfectly why I think Barbara should stay as Oracle

#1 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie. I teared up the first time I saw that.

#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

It is moving. And I agree that she should stay as Oracle.

#4 Edited by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

I do believe that the people with disabilities should have a strong role model to follow. Barbara was way more important as Oracle and Batgirl and this ain't a case of being afraid of change

#5 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

;__;

#6 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that's depressing.  

#7 Posted by insanepayne6 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

hey if barbara got out of a wheelchair, it might give other disabled people hope they will too. 

#8 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@insanepayne6 said:
hey if barbara got out of a wheelchair, it might give other disabled people hope they will too. 
That's not how it should work though...
#9 Posted by insanepayne6 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not? There is plenty of writing with her as oracle fighting the good fight and showing that disabled people can still be awesome but now shes out of the chair and can show that doing the right thing can pay off and that there is always hope they could get out of their chairs. Now shes a symbol of inspiration and hope. 

#10 Edited by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@insanepayne6: Well, perhaps. For some reason, I immediately thought of a far more depressing road of thought - "perhaps I can walk someday too" -> *never happens* -> *grows old and bitter.* I don't even know why I would think something like that in the first place...
#11 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that story should have been kept for when there is an actual popular cure. There is one but it only has 10% chance of success and is extremely expensive so...

#12 Posted by insanepayne6 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'm an optimist.

#13 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres another one from the same writer

#14 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

T____T that first comic post just bummed me out

#15 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12586 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds like something you'd see on family guy..................
#16 Posted by AntiHeroMofo (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Most definitely should stay as Oracle. I have to say I was mad at first but handicapped people deserve representation as substantial characters too! Same goes for any group

#17 Posted by X9 (752 posts) - - Show Bio

I have friends who are disabled and they didn't cry when she regained the movements of her legs. They said "it was about time". It's a fictional universe where pretty much everything happens. If even there a person couldn't walk never again, it'd be deeply depressive.

Plus, disabled people don't keep asking if they could walk again or stuff like that. They live their lives but, certainly, if there was a surgery or something to get them out of their wheelchair, they'd try it. So I can't see why Barbara, as a disabled character, wouldn't try too.

And this whole blabla about "I want her back as Oracle/ in a wheelchair" is getting me tired T_T

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.