Something to think about...

#1 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going through some of my comics the other day and I happened to flip through Batman: The Return. I came across something that I hadn't thought of before: in the issue, when Bruce has the whole team in the cave for a 'debriefing' about Batman, Inc., he is explaining to everyone their respective roles. He shows Babs something called "Internet 3.0", and explains what seems to be Barbara's role as being some kind of agent inside of said computer program (his actual words are that he needs her to be his ghost in the machine). He shows her a picture of a very Batgirl-looking avatar of herself and it greatly resembles her new costume that's been shown for September. 

Putting two and two together, this makes a lot of sense. If Babs is to become a virtual Batgirl operating in a somewhat digital world -- I guess it would be like Tron or The Matrix -- than that could be why we've seen her dressed like Batgirl and sans wheelchair. Also, it would totally preserve Killing Joke. The 'circuitry' look of her DCnU suit is easily explained by my theory as well, and so I believe it answers a lot of speculative questions. What do you guys think? Could the Batgirl we've seen on Batgirl #1's cover be a digital avatar of Barbara operating in some kind of virtual, or semi-virtual, world?

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27244 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7 said:
I was going through some of my comics the other day and I happened to flip through Batman: The Return. I came across something that I hadn't thought of before: in the issue, when Bruce has the whole team in the cave for a 'debriefing' about Batman, Inc., he is explaining to everyone their respective roles. He shows Babs something called "Internet 3.0", and explains what seems to be Barbara's role as being some kind of agent inside of said computer program (his actual words are that he needs her to be his ghost in the machine). He shows her a picture of a very Batgirl-looking avatar of herself and it greatly resembles her new costume that's been shown for September.  Putting two and two together, this makes a lot of sense. If Babs is to become a virtual Batgirl operating in a somewhat digital world -- I guess it would be like Tron or The Matrix -- than that could be why we've seen her dressed like Batgirl and sans wheelchair. Also, it would totally preserve Killing Joke. The 'circuitry' look of her DCnU suit is easily explained by my theory as well, and so I believe it answers a lot of speculative questions. What do you guys think? Could the Batgirl we've seen on Batgirl #1's cover be a digital avatar of Barbara operating in some kind of virtual, or semi-virtual, world?
what would be the need for that?
#3 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: If you're talking about need within the story, well, I'm not sure because Morrison never addressed the Internet 3.0 thing again after the issue. All that was said was that WayneTech would be announcing Internet 3.0 and Bruce needed Barbara to be his "ghost in the machine".  

If you're talking about the need from an editorial perspective, than the answer is simple: character evolution and interesting (or, what DC believes to be interesting), new stories.
#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27244 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7 said:
@spiderbat87: If you're talking about need within the story, well, I'm not sure because Morrison never addressed the Internet 3.0 thing again after the issue. All that was said was that WayneTech would be announcing Internet 3.0 and Bruce needed Barbara to be his "ghost in the machine".   If you're talking about the need from an editorial perspective, than the answer is simple: character evolution and interesting (or, what DC believes to be interesting), new stories.
No no I mean storywise, if they had a non stupid way it could work I think its a pretty cool idea.
#5 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Oh, okay. In that case, then I totally agree. It's seems plausible enough to me, and Morrison has written crazier story beats. 
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27244 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7 said:
@spiderbat87: Oh, okay. In that case, then I totally agree. It's seems plausible enough to me, and Morrison has written crazier story beats. 
Its also a way for Steph to continue her on real time as well
#7 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: That's true, too! I didn't even think of that! I don't know... This could be the way to keep the most fans happy and tell new, interesting stories.
#8 Posted by Dernman (13961 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh I have read B Gordan as both Batgirl and Oracle. She is soo much better as Oracle. They are making a step in the wrong direction.

#9 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
Sigh I have read B Gordan as both Batgirl and Oracle. She is soo much better as Oracle. They are making a step in the wrong direction.
But, if what I posited is what DC has planned, than she can remain Oracle and be Batgirl. That's the point. 
#10 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7
after reading the solicits, I'm pretty sure that she'll be donning the costume in real life and not some sort of virtual reality world. I prefer it that way.
#11 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@sEsposito7:  after reading the solicits, I'm pretty sure that she'll be donning the costume in real life and not some sort of virtual reality world. I prefer it that way.
What info from the solicits make you say that?
#12 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7
The language in the solicits seem to imply that she's wearing the costume in real life, but I just read that "The Killing Joke" will remain canon so your theory may prove to be correct.
#13 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
@sEsposito7:  The language in the solicits seem to imply that she's wearing the costume in real life, but I just read that "The Killing Joke" will remain canon so your theory may prove to be correct.
It's funny, when I read the solicits I thought they were sort of ambiguous and not very revealing. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
#14 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7
Here's the cover for Batgirl #3:
#15 Posted by sputnik (210 posts) - - Show Bio
@sEsposito7: that would make a heck of sense. i mean, babs as baygirl was awesome. but babs as genius in the wheelchair was also awesome. it's like having the best of both worlds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.