Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4164 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Should Barbara Gordon Walk Again?

• 126 results
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Media_Master

Yes, it could give her new stories, so yeah

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#102  Edited By Erik

It would certainly give her more to do as a character. 

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103  Edited By Zoom

No.

It would completely undermine what a good story Killing Joke was and eliminate just about the only wheelchair bound superhero in comics.  The other one (Xavier) is frankly harder to relate to and at times, his status as a hero has been very questionable.  And we wouldn't want her to be like Xavier, constantly regaining the use of her legs and then getting crippled again because each writer thinks she should or shouldn't walk.  Best not to even open that can of worms if you ask me.  Plus, there's already a Batgirl.  No need to bring the old one back.

Sure, Zatana could magically fix her legs but you know what?  If Zatanna spent all her time fixing everybody's problems, none of the characters would have any problems (or they'd just kill off Zatanna) which wouldn't be any fun.

That being said, Didio has a woody for the silver age (even though a lot of the silver age sucked) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he killed off Cassie and healed Barb and made her Batgirl again.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104  Edited By Erik
    Zoom said:
    "

No.

It would completely undermine what a good story Killing Joke was and eliminate just about the only wheelchair bound superhero in comics.  The other one (Xavier) is frankly harder to relate to and at times, his status as a hero has been very questionable.  And we wouldn't want her to be like Xavier, constantly regaining the use of her legs and then getting crippled again because each writer thinks she should or shouldn't walk.  Best not to even open that can of worms if you ask me.  Plus, there's already a Batgirl.  No need to bring the old one back.

Sure, Zatana could magically fix her legs but you know what?  If Zatanna spent all her time fixing everybody's problems, none of the characters would have any problems (or they'd just kill off Zatanna) which wouldn't be any fun.

That being said, Didio has a woody for the silver age (even though a lot of the silver age sucked) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he killed off Cassie and healed Barb and made her Batgirl again.

"
    Possible spoiler...... maybe.

I have heard that Cassandra is not going to be batgirl anymore after the BFTC.
    Mauricio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Mauricio

No!

Most importance of The Killing Joke is because of her. Besides not being a regular publishing edition, what happened was incorporated to the main cronology.
    Same why I disagree about Barry Allen coming back in Flash Rebirth.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DEGRAAF

they have like 4 flashes, another one cant make it any worse. also i like this unusual ability he has now. i think he takes the speed force out of others coincidentally killing them when they come in contact.

Barbara i think i would like more just to stay as the oracle. I wouldnt mind her walking though. She is kinda like Mary Jane in Spiderman just not a whimp. they are both hot, both have red hair, both normal powered human beings. just one fights crime and one attracts it

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By LastSon1027

I think that she should and will get the use of her legs back. If you have seen the promo poster for Battle of the Cowl where Robin, Nightwing, Two Face and Jason Todd are all in Batman suits you can see behind Tommy Elliot (HUSH) and Damien there is a wheel to a wheel chair and it looks to be in pretty bad shape as if it is no longer used so either she is going to do or walk, that is my guess. I hope it's walk though. I do think that if she does get the ability to walk back then she will take up her old Batgirl Mantle. Perhaps the use of her legs wil reunite her with Dick and she will want to work side by side with him. Just a thought of where they may take this.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DEGRAAF
    LastSon1027 said:
    "I think that she should and will get the use of her legs back. If you have seen the promo poster for Battle of the Cowl where Robin, Nightwing, Two Face and Jason Todd are all in Batman suits you can see behind Tommy Elliot (HUSH) and Damien there is a wheel to a wheel chair and it looks to be in pretty bad shape as if it is no longer used so either she is going to do or walk, that is my guess. I hope it's walk though. I do think that if she does get the ability to walk back then she will take up her old Batgirl Mantle. Perhaps the use of her legs wil reunite her with Dick and she will want to work side by side with him. Just a thought of where they may take this."
    thats what im hoping
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Illuminarch

Repair her spine, but don't make it a cheap one-issue thing. Draw it out, make it a bit of a struggle with gradual adjustments, like it would be in real life. Put some poignancy to it.

And keep her as Oracle, because she's way more important there than as Batgirl anyway.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DEGRAAF

i agree i think they should fix her spine and start learning to walk again but i think she should do it with out telling anyone. One person might catch on but everyone else will just be oblivious till one day she runs in to dick (as batman) and she is out in he batgirl outfit and he is so stunned to see her he is just like WTF

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111  Edited By Hunter114

It depends how they do it...  
    Barbara was completely re-invented after killing joke, she went from an able-bodied fighter to a disabled thinker in a fairly small amount of time, so I think that she misses being Batgirl while having come to terms with the fact that she probably won't be Batgirl ever again. 

I know that we've probably all had our own scenarios, but the way I see it, it should happen gradually and with some arguments between the Batgirl and Oracle personas, or at least there be some debate about which of the two Barbara wants to be. After that there should be some kind of catalyst where Barbara has to become Batgirl (ok that's unlikely and controversial) in order to save someone she cares about (or something like that) After that she decides to return to being Oracle, which is (imo) a far more imoprtant character than Batgirl.

For there to be another re-invention of Barbara, there has to be some connection to the first one (as it was with Dick Grayson) the first one wasn't her choice so this one must be, so that she can have some closure about it, maybe even a fight with the Joker. I think that it's also important that she isn't fixed by magic or miracles because that takes away part of the sacrifice of it all, if there was something like they did in the Birds of Prey TV series then there can always be a malfunction or something that can elude to a possible storyline in the future.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By MrMiracle77

I'd like her to be able to walk again, but she shouldn't go out running as Batgirl right away.  Nobody just leaps out of a wheelchair.  I'd like to see her take the same steps to recovery as anyone else would.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By WW-Fan

i really wana see her walk again :/
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By Magian

No, after she stopped being Batgirl, she isn't under Batman's shadow and she got her own identity. She is the information broker of the entire DC Universe and she is a capable leader.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By sexy_merc

It's going to be a tough things to do, getting her back on her feet. If they do decide to though, I hope she stays as Oracle. She was my favorite Batgirl, but she was a much better character as Oracle, but the handicaps may have factored into that. This will be a huge step for the Batman mythos and DC if they decide to though.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

Yes she should, it's about time!! :)

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By Bestostero

Just stumbled onto here, a year or so late, but I would love to see Barbara be able to walk again.  I remember watching the Birds of Prey tv series, and they had an episode where Barbara used technology to  allow her to walk, and she used it to fight Lady Shiva, and again on the series finale where she fought Harley Quinn, and I thought how awesome it would be if Barbara could really walk again in the comics...  She's the best Batgirl in my opinion, and she's awesome as Oracle too...but I would love to see her on the front lines again, and not as someone's sidekick.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#118  Edited By lorex

I don't see Barbara as anyone's sidekick but a mastermind behind the scenes pulling the strings for all the puppets.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Sinestro2828
    @Methos:   I gotta agree its pretty weird that she's remained in a wheelchair all this time when the DC universe is full of technology that could heal her legs, she doesn't even need to be Batgirl again, she could stay as Oracle but she'd be able to whoop ass in the field again (i'd like to see her or Cassandra become Batgirl over Stephanie)

The only con to Barb regaining the use of her legs would be that it would undo one of Joker's most evil deeds that worked and stuck (unlike with jason todd who came back from the dead, lol).
    Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes!!!!! She was an amazing and one of the best Batgirls ever she should deserver to walk again !!!!!!!!!!
    No Caption Provided
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By John_Feaster

She should have been walking the whole time. The "Killing Joke" wasn't even suposed to be taken as actual continuity. But at the time DC was still recovering from it's first lunatic "Crisis" phase...and Batgirl was just another victim of the house cleaning. Me personally, I've never been a fan of the wheelchair-bound Barbara. She should have been Batgirl all along.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By Mercy_

Meh

Cats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Cats
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Meh "
    This 
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#124  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like her mentoring more now a days, like Bruce has with Dick, Tim, and now Damian. I like seeing Barbara mentoring new Batgirl's like Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown.

reaperkenswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By reaperkenswolf

@xerox-kitty said:

" mercblue30 said:

"I think its about time Barbara gets the use of her legs back!"
    Next time you see someone in a wheel chair, ask them if they think it's time to get the use of their legs back.
    I know that comic book logic can make anything happen, but deciding that it's time for someone to jump out of their wheelchair to bounce around Gotham city at night stretches it too far for me.  She has been a stronger character as Oracle, and if she starts running around as Batgirl then she'll be less of a character; just another bint in a skin-tight costume.  
    "
    If I may start this somewhat dormant argument back up again I'd like to say you have an interesting point. My aunt has been in a wheelchair for as long as I can remember and I understand on a personal level that in the real world there are no miracle cures. But this isn't the real world. This is comic books. And the proposed idea of putting Barbara into the Lazarus Pit is one that I find full of possibilities.

For one, it allows Barbara to reach an new potential by using the intelligence work she did as Oracle letting her take it into new possibilities in field work.

Two, due to the temporary lapse in sanity caused by the Lazarus Pit, Barbara could be a new focus in an emotionally engaging story arc. I think the best way to do that is to have it be Grayson's responsibility to keep her from hurting anyone she loves or keep her from crossing the line and killing Joker (that one may be seen as too similar to Jason Todd, though). What this would accomplish is a rough test and possible reaffirmation in their relationship.

Three, the lapse of insanity can do a lot to develop her character as a personal demon for her to deal with in the future.

Just, whatever happens, I do not believe that she will retrieve the mantle of Batgirl and I hope she does not become the new Batwoman.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#126  Edited By PowerHerc

Hell yes!  She should never have been crippled in the first place.
    reaperkenswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By reaperkenswolf
    @PowerHerc said:
    " Hell yes!  She should never have been crippled in the first place. "
    I highly disagree with that. Crippling her made her into Oracle and allowed her to become an extremely useful ally to DC heroes. However, I believe she does not need to stay in her broken form forever, as returning her legs allows her to take her Oracle capabilities to different levels.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.