Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4163 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Should Barbara Gordon Walk Again?

• 126 results
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Erik
    G-Man said:
    "It's great if people in wheelchairs can relate to her.  Just like we have characters of other races.  It does bother me when it's obvious that the character is meant to appease certain groups.  I just think Barbara is her own character.   I don't know if she should be the poster superhero for disabled people.  Then again, she has been doing fine for the last 21 years.  It's a tough call."
    They can have Jack Flag. 
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By SUNMAN
    Methos said:
    "

yes!!

its been enough time...there is absolutely no reason for Babs to still be inthat wheelchair... i've been through this on the forums before, there are a dozen or more ways for her to walk again, with bionics or not...Hell, Batman himself has access to Kryptonian technology that could 'reset' her back to her prime in half a second or less... then we have people with advanced healing energies / factors that could give her a transplant to repair her nerve endings... how about Cyborg? he didn't have any legswhen they originally attached the bionics to him... if he has them, why not Babs? it's not as if Bats couldn't afford it...it's more than time for her to be up and walking again... get her back into the Batgirl outfit where she belongs!M"
    agreed
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    erik said:
    "G-Man said:
    "It's great if people in wheelchairs can relate to her.  Just like we have characters of other races.  It does bother me when it's obvious that the character is meant to appease certain groups.  I just think Barbara is her own character.   I don't know if she should be the poster superhero for disabled people.  Then again, she has been doing fine for the last 21 years.  It's a tough call."
    They can have Jack Flag. "
    LOL.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#54  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Vance Astro said:
    "G-Man said:
    It would be better if they made a character who had to be in a wheelchair their hold life and had to deal with it growing up and things like that instead of taking an already established hero and crippling her.
    "
    I agree but also it might smell like it was done just for that reason.  Let's look back.  Why was John Stewart 'created' and the main GL on the Justice League cartoon?  Or I remember even in the 80s on West Coast Avengers.  They added Firebird and then later Living Lightning so they could have two Hispanic characters on the team.  When Rage tried joining the Avengers in 1990, he even pointed out that they didn't have any 'minorities' on the team.  It's great if everyone has a hero they can relate to, it's just often the way it's handled feels forced.
    Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

I think that she should regain her legs, I mean... why the hell not?! She's been on that chair long enough.

I sure has heck dont want her as Batgirl though, she's pass that. I think she should still be Oracle, only this time, she wont be stuck sitting on the sidelines, she'll be able to go out and help the other heroes when they need it.

I dont think she should go right into fighting crime if she does regain her legs. I think they should keep her kinda like how she is now. Maybe have her a little... inimidated, I guess is the word, to go back out there because of all the new heroes and villains alike that have came up since she was last Batgirl. Then slowly work her way into fighting crime once again, SLOWLY >_<. I dont want her to be sitting once second in her chair then suddenly just jump jump and kick a villain in the face like nothing (even if it would be kinda cool to see the villains reaction to it xD). I want to see some struggle with her regaining her leg power again, her having to build up her legs all over and learning how to walk all over.

But eventually I would like to see her kick some butt ^^ She'll be all KAPOW! while also using her awesome brain to fight crime like she has been for the past 21 years.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    G-Man said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "G-Man said:
    It would be better if they made a character who had to be in a wheelchair their hold life and had to deal with it growing up and things like that instead of taking an already established hero and crippling her.
    "
    I agree but also it might smell like it was done just for that reason.  Let's look back.  Why was John Stewart 'created' and the main GL on the Justice League cartoon?  Or I remember even in the 80s on West Coast Avengers.  They added Firebird and then later Living Lightning so they could have two Hispanic characters on the team.  When Rage tried joining the Avengers in 1990, he even pointed out that they didn't have any 'minorities' on the team.  It's great if everyone has a hero they can relate to, it's just often the way it's handled feels forced."
    I agree with that and I do remember those instances.Before watching Justice League I had never heard of John Stewart so when I saw him I was like..."See they are just trying to get black people to watch this..there is no such thing as a black Green Lantern".Boy was I wrong lol.
    Nibiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Nibiru

I certainly wouldn't mind it.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By Korg

Wouldn't they have to come up with something really good that we hadn't heard of before? Methos already pointed out that there are at least a dozen ways to repair the damage to her body or replace it with cybernetics. I just think if they used something pre-established it would feel like they did it for absolutely no reason after 20+ years. It would put me off a little. I'm not saying I wouldn't read books she's in because of it, but I would think about it every time I see her/it's mentioned.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Korg said:
    "Wouldn't they have to come up with something really good that we hadn't heard of before? Methos already pointed out that there are at least a dozen ways to repair the damage to her body or replace it with cybernetics. I just think if they used something pre-established it would feel like they did it for absolutely no reason after 20+ years. It would put me off a little. I'm not saying I wouldn't read books she's in because of it, but I would think about it every time I see her/it's mentioned."
    I agree with this.If Barbara starts walking again by way of something that was basically available to her in the DCU all this time...all the time she spent not using it would pretty much be a waste.I was told before that Barbara didn't have a problem not walking and she didn't want to be fixed.I don't know how much truth there is to that as I didn't read anything with her in it in the beginning stages of her injuries but that would kind of make things better if she did use something pre-established to walk again...because DC just said she didn't care before but now she wants to be back in action and on her feet.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By gmanfromheck
    likalaruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By likalaruku

Isn't she supposed to be the rolemodel for handicap readers? Her wheelchair kinda makes her unique; something outside of abilities/powers that seperates her from the rest of the DC women. Should Professior Xavier walk?

I say no. Life's not fair & she dosen't get a break either. Also, there's something about her paralysis that makes her seem like less of a sex object & more of a person, & that's always a good thing.

I like the way her face is drawn in that ^_^ (not an Oracle reader).

Where's my Dyscalculic ADD rolemodel? I also want a male hero or villain that looks like a chick & a flat-chested tomboy in sweatpants!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Erik
    likalaruku said:
    "Isn't she supposed to be the rolemodel for handicap readers? Her wheelchair kinda makes her unique; something outside of abilities/powers that seperates her from the rest of the DC women. Should Professior Xavier walk?I say no. Life's not fair & she dosen't get a break either.I like the way her face is drawn in that ^_^ (not an Oracle reader)."
    Xavier has been walking for a long time now. 
    Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#63  Edited By TwilightThunder

No. She should not. Even though if DiDio says she needs implants or it's magically done.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By pixelized

why not?

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Kurrent

Barbara Gordon walking again would only benefit Dick Grayson.

[black.vomit]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By [black.vomit]

Kill Cassandra off? Uhm go eat glass.

I think Bab's should def' walk again...it's only right...they bring back such horrible characters in comics anyway and Bab's is def not a horrible character...she deserves to be up moving around smacking fool's just as much as anyone else. 

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By XRiskyX

Some people will hate me for that but nevermind...

no, No and NO!!! Barbara should NOT walk again. I am tired of heros recovering from disabling injuries and even death and rising up like the Phoenix (excuse the unintended pun please).This kind of story has simply been overdone. The kind of sotry that I'd like to see would be: Consequence!!! I know there are a fantastillion characters and ways that would be able to make her walk again but why not go the other way and be consequent for a single time? I am not against character development, quite the opposite I want to see more of it, but why does it always have to do with physical augmentatations, make them more powerful etc? Spiderman went through a lot of character development and most of them depended on something happening in his life. Babs is an even more fascinating character since she is Oracle and her new way of working appeals to me. We don't need a Batgirl revamp after 21 years. Everyone loved the idea and has get accustomed to it. If you want to change something about her change something in her LIFE and not her BODY. Call me a conservative or reactionist but I stand to my oppinion.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#68  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't like Barbara because she's handicapped.  I like her because she's strong.  Stronger than a DC equivalent of Xavier (walking again, in a wheelchair again, walking again, dead again, walking again...).

The fact that Batman had his back broken and was up & running around Gotham's rooftops a year later was just bad writing.  Barbara being in a wheelchair for the rest of her life is realistic.  What's wrong with that?  Why is it so bad for her to represent a side of society that is usually forgotten?  She proves that 'handicapped' doesn't stop you from being a hero.

I know comics can twist reality and come up with some bizarre sense of logic that would have her walking again... but why?  Why now?  Why not 20 years ago before they made people care that much?  For once I would like them to leave it alone.  Not every tragedy & trauma in comics needs to be reversed.  She's perfectly strong enough as she is.
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By XRiskyX
    xerox-kitty said:
    "I don't like Barbara because she's handicapped.  I like her because she's strong.  Stronger than a DC equivalent of Xavier (walking again, in a wheelchair again, walking again, dead again, walking again...).

The fact that Batman had his back broken and was up & running around Gotham's rooftops a year later was just bad writing.  Barbara being in a wheelchair for the rest of her life is realistic.  What's wrong with that?  Why is it so bad for her to represent a side of society that is usually forgotten?  She proves that 'handicapped' doesn't stop you from being a hero.

I know comics can twist reality and come up with some bizarre sense of logic that would have her walking again... but why?  Why now?  Why not 20 years ago before they made people care that much?  For once I would like them to leave it alone.  Not every tragedy & trauma in comics needs to be reversed.  She's perfectly strong enough as she is.
    "
    applauds
    Hawkwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Hawkwitch

Yes, she should walk again.

But NOT become Batgirl again. She's her own heroine. 
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#71  Edited By No_Name_

Wow this is my favorite video of yours you have done. I like it so much, that I'm going to have to answer it in my review.

Great dance moves by the way.

Voidheart said:

"Methos said:
    "Voidheart said:
    "Baman #666, she's the commissioner, and still in a wheelchair. (future)"
    So?no future storylines ever published by DC are canon... they all change with different writers...M"
    me 1 DC 0"
    Methos was right. Future storylines don't count, and Morrison has nothing to do with Barbara's story.

@Pix: You had asked what would happen to Cassandra. In an interview, Dan Didio had mentioned that by the end of the BFTC and all of that, Cassandra will no longer be a member of the Bat family.

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By SilverZeo

I think she would would have ability to move her leg just a bit, but not enough to do heroics, like that guy from Dark Angel.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By WonderBoy1132

No, I don't think she should walk again. Her character is unique for that fact that she's in a wheelchair. She still kicks ass even though she's handicapped. 

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Erik

Let her dance again.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By pixelized
    Babs said:
    Pix: You had asked what would happen to Cassandra. In an interview, Dan Didio had mentioned that by the end of the BFTC and all of that, Cassandra will no longer be a member of the Bat family."
    Where's she going???
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By SUNMAN
    Babs said:
    "Wow this is my favorite video of yours you have done. I like it so much, that I'm going to have to answer it in my review.

Great dance moves by the way.

Voidheart said:
    "Methos said:
    "Voidheart said:
    "Baman #666, she's the commissioner, and still in a wheelchair. (future)"
    So?no future storylines ever published by DC are canon... they all change with different writers...M"
    me 1 DC 0"
    Methos was right. Future storylines don't count, and Morrison has nothing to do with Barbara's story.@Pix: You had asked what would happen to Cassandra. In an interview, Dan Didio had mentioned that by the end of the BFTC and all of that, Cassandra will no longer be a member of the Bat family."
    good
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By Joe Venom

Yea I think she should walk again, heck with the tech in the DC Universe she should have been walking again. But like you said its been 21 years the only thing she will be good for is still being the Oracle. She is smarter then Cassandra, but Cassandra is a better fighter, she can fight better then Misfit, but Misfit has a better power set and is more useful in a fight, and I don't know if she met Kate or not But the Bat woman mantel is currently being used. So yea I think she should walk, heck run a marathon, but she should never be a cape crusader again, just stick to being The Oracle.

mercblue30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mercblue30

I think its about time Barbara gets the use of her legs back! As the author of this has put it, it looks bad for DC when Batman gets back on his feet in 1 yr and Babs is still confined to a wheelchair after 21. Barbara is just as athletic and strong-willed as anyone else from DC, so if she wanted to get out of the chair, she would have long ago. One thing I disagree with the author on is Babs returning as Batgirl. You have these female Bats running around Gotham, but none of them compare to the original BatGIRL. I would love to see Bab's finally get out of the wheelchair and begin crimefighting once again as Batgirl.(I miss Babs in her Batgirl costume)

She's an incredible character and woman, she needs to be out there planning a butt-kicking on Joker, thats been 21 yrs overdo!

Thespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By Thespirit

i think it's definitely about time.  Barbra's disability did indeed forge a a strength in her that wasnt exactly visible before, but, learning from this experiance i think she's shown that she indeed is a strong person disabled or not. It's time for a comeback!
    -i have to say i'd love to buy this issue. Big benchmark

Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Harlekin

I hope she does not get her legs back, because there really isn't a reason for her to get them back. Why would she need her legs? Just for she can be Batgirl and for the character can feel like she was in the 80's, well sorry the year is 2009 and Babs should stay as strong as possible and that means rolling around in a wheelchair and being able to remember that she grew up. For her to go back to Batgirl would be like taking 21 steps backwards.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xerox_kitty
    mercblue30 said:
    "I think its about time Barbara gets the use of her legs back!"
    Next time you see someone in a wheel chair, ask them if they think it's time to get the use of their legs back.

I know that comic book logic can make anything happen, but deciding that it's time for someone to jump out of their wheelchair to bounce around Gotham city at night stretches it too far for me.  She has been a stronger character as Oracle, and if she starts running around as Batgirl then she'll be less of a character; just another bint in a skin-tight costume.  
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By Nighthunter

I think that Barbara will be Batgirl again, shame as for me atleast she was never as interesting as Batgirl as Oracle

Avatar image for the_human_stain
    The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By The Human Stain

Why do so many think that if she walks again she has to be Batgirl?  She can still be Oracle if she has the use of her legs.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Erik
    The Human Stain said:
    "Why do so many think that if she walks again she has to be Batgirl?  She can still be Oracle if she has the use of her legs."
    Agreed.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By xerox_kitty
    The Human Stain said:
    "Why do so many think that if she walks again she has to be Batgirl?  She can still be Oracle if she has the use of her legs."
    Because:

a) A lot of people want her to be Batgirl again; and

b) Among the rumours about Battle For The Cowl there will be a Batgirl at the end of it, but that Cassandra Cain will be leaving the bat-family.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Erik

Well there is nothing wrong with her gaining the use of her legs again. Batman did it, why are you not ragging on that? 

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Nighthunter
    The Human Stain said:
    because Didio has said that he wants to give the mantles of the characters to the most "iconic" version of the character, for Batgirl that clearly is Barbara

And the name "the cure" is kinda a throw-off lol
    Onyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By Onyx

I think she is a better character as ORACLE, and hate to have that thrown away just to see her in the Batgirl suit again. The Birds of Prey dynamic would be thrown out of whack as a result.
    But I also think she have use for her legs by now, keep her as Oracle, but let the girl walk already!

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Nighthunter
    Onyx said:
    "I think she is a better character as ORACLE, and hate to have that thrown away just to see her in the Batgirl suit again. The Birds of Prey dynamic would be thrown out of whack as a result.
    agreed
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By pixelized

BOP is over though.

And just because she goes back to being Batgirl doesn't mean everything she's done/learned as oracle goes out the window.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#91  Edited By TwilightThunder

People started paying attention to Barbara when she became Oracle. They didn't give a damn when she was Batgirl back in the olden days.

Resurrections so far: Hal Jordan: CRAPTACULAR (Geoff Johns proved himself as craptacular as Jeph Loeb) Barry Allen: About to be resurrected, and here i thought he had the ultimate demise back in the '86. And Barbara Gordon: Not dead. But clearly she's going to be "reborn". also craptacular.

Is DiDio Hell-Bent on destroying DC comics? No-eye-deer. I'll probably be reading something else.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#92  Edited By No_Name_

I don't think she would go back to being Batgirl just because she's obbtained the use of her legs. I think that stage of her life is over and done with, at least I would hope so. That said, change is a good thing sometimes, and its been 20 some odd years; so I'll have to go ahead and disagree with this thunder person above me.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DEGRAAF

i hope she can walk agian but i also agree she shouldnt become batwoman or girl. I can see her creating a new hero identity and costume so she can feel like she is giving more and helping people more than before. the only way she would become a batgirl woman is if one of the others died. its not likely one would go rogue and they wouldnt cure one to criplle another so they would have to kill one off if she were to take the mantle again. She has to create a new one and go beat the SH!T out of calculator

Avatar image for lokein_lyesmith
    Lokein.Lyesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By Lokein.Lyesmith

I totally disagree with her legs needing repaired. I think if she COULD get up and run to the rescue of some of the people she's helping, she'd be compelled to. I think she'd end up walking away from being Oracle, because she thinks she can do more OUT on the street. Maybe not giving up Oracle entirely, but not being Oracle all the time. And I think that would be a huge detriment to the DC Universe. Oracle is hugely needed and a great asset to the superhero community. I think we should keep Barb in her chair. I think it adds alot to the character, and reminds us that bad things can happen, even to our superheroes. Grounds us in reality, even if a fantasy world.

But. Ya know. Just my two cents.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DEGRAAF
    Lokein.Lyesmith said:
    "I totally disagree with her legs needing repaired. I think if she COULD get up and run to the rescue of some of the people she's helping, she'd be compelled to. I think she'd end up walking away from being Oracle, because she thinks she can do more OUT on the street. Maybe not giving up Oracle entirely, but not being Oracle all the time. And I think that would be a huge detriment to the DC Universe. Oracle is hugely needed and a great asset to the superhero community. I think we should keep Barb in her chair. I think it adds alot to the character, and reminds us that bad things can happen, even to our superheroes. Grounds us in reality, even if a fantasy world. But. Ya know. Just my two cents."

i like your view at it and agree on alot of aspects. i would just like to ssee her get better and have that chance.

what about giving her the opertunity to decide whether she wants to be cured or not. although i guess she could still choose to be fixed and not stop being the oracle. i would like to see her make the choice sayin that she wants to be able to show the new comers the repercusions that might occur while on the job
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's obviously something that still affects her.  In the issue there's even mention where she wonders if she would've been better off if the bullet killed her instead.

JetpackComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By JetpackComics

It's a bad idea for her to walk again. UNLESS, they have her walk again and then take it away from her after a few months. Then it would make sense.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By pixelized

how?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By xerox_kitty
    G-Man said:
    "It's obviously something that still affects her.  In the issue there's even mention where she wonders if she would've been better off if the bullet killed her instead."
    I can't remember where I read this (it may have been in BoP) but years ago they had a quiet moment where she said she missed the little things like turning the hot water tap on with her toes to heat the tub back up.  That was such a little piece of writing, but it struck a chord with me.  One of those tiny bits of every day life that we all take for granted, and yet it tears her apart inside because she can't do it.  And if there was an easy cure to being shot in the spine & crippled for life then I would love for Barbara to be cured.  But instead I can't shake the feeling that she will walk again, and it will be instantaneous.  Something cheesy & badly thought out.  Like she hadn't realised it all along, that she really could walk... and I just hope to God that they don't do it like that.  Because it strips away the humility and the honesty of her character over the last 2 decades.
    Avatar image for darkseid_thanos
    darkseid_thanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By darkseid_thanos

I agree barbara should already be allowed to walk it has already  been to long since shes been on that wheel chair but let her be oracle and leave the batgirl persona to cassandra she has already outgrown that sidekick role for batman years ago

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.