Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Oracle's Legs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BaronVonDredd

I don't know how far back in years Barbara Gordon was shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waste down, but shouldn't the muscles in her legs be severely deteriorated by now?

No Caption Provided

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LT1085
    @BaronVonDredd: Lazy artist.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Better question is with all the tech in the DCU (and the Bat-Verse), how have they not come up with a way for her to walk again?

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By karrob
    @Gambler said:
    " Better question is with all the tech in the DCU (and the Bat-Verse), how have they not come up with a way for her to walk again? "
    Agreed! Wouldnt the lazarus pits work on her legs? Or is there a DC healer. Smh
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Well if you have the funds you can use electrical stimulation to work the leg muscles. But I'll go the way of Gambler and ask why the hell hasn't Batman fixed her. I mean doesn't he have like an anti-paralyzing spray in his utility belt?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DEGRAAF

he came back from a broken back and learned how to walk again. Damien even recently had his spine replaced so he would no longer be paralyzed. During Blackest Night Deadman took control of her body and even stated that she has great muscle memory and got her body to walk, run, and do aerobatics. I think it is her willingness to accept her situation as well as her fear of getting back out there in the thick of it. she is willing to fight and defend when the villain comes to her but she seems unwilling to go out and fight for the innoscent

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AtPhantom
    Don't we already have, like, dozens of "What the hell, DC?" threads dedicated to Barbara's disability?
    BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BaronVonDredd
    @AtPhantom: 
    This isn't one of those threads, man. I just want to know how she maintains the muscles in her legs despite having not used them for so long.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @AtPhantom said:
    " Don't we already have, like, dozens of "What the hell, DC?" threads dedicated to Barbara's disability? "
    Probably.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom
    @BaronVonDredd said:
    " @AtPhantom:  This isn't one of those threads, man. I just want to know how she maintains the muscles in her legs despite having not used them for so long. "
    I know it isn't, but they've turned it into one.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I'd would suggest reading the Batman story titled "the Chalice" from a few years back. In this story Bruce acquires the Holy Grail and finds out it does have the legendary healing properties ascribe to legend. He offers to Barbara to use the Grail to restore her legs. She refuses, saying it has something to do with her beliefs, thought she never says what those beliefs are that would stop her from wanting to be healed by the Holy Grail.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warlock360

You can still keep your legs somewhat in tact by sending nerval impulses towards them or with shock therapy.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Gambler said:
    " Better question is with all the tech in the DCU (and the Bat-Verse), how have they not come up with a way for her to walk again? "
    they did did they not? she was offered the chance to walk but refused it, I did not read that but was told about it. 

@Voidheart said:
    " You can still keep your legs somewhat in tact by sending nerval impulses towards them or with shock therapy. "
    and what he said.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @Gambler:  They should just do what they did in the Birds of Prey TV series, put on a belt that taps into her spine to allow her to walk for certain periods of time
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " I'd would suggest reading the Batman story titled "the Chalice" from a few years back. In this story Bruce acquires the Holy Grail and finds out it does have the legendary healing properties ascribe to legend. He offers to Barbara to use the Grail to restore her legs. She refuses, saying it has something to do with her beliefs, thought she never says what those beliefs are that would stop her from wanting to be healed by the Holy Grail. "
    Using a "holy" relic is different then using modern day advances in technology and medical treatments. It doesn't necessarily mean she does not want to, or is not open to, walking again. That's more about the way in which it is done (in my opinion).
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @.Mistress Redhead.:  I dont know. Not up on my Barbra history :P

@EnSabahNurX: Dude, that's exactly what I was thinking before posting in here. I only watched one episode and it was when she used it to fight Shiva.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Gambler said:

" Using a "holy" relic is different then using modern day advances in technology and medical treatments. It doesn't necessarily mean she does not want to, or is not open to, walking again. That's more about the way in which it is done (in my opinion). "

Possible... I was just pointing out a specific instance when she could have walked again but refused and the reason why given in that story. Explanations are few in the comics to why this situation persists.

Considering the world she lives in, the only thing actually stopping her is author fiat and a vague in-universe explanation about her refusing for unspecified reasons. I mean considering who she hangs out with. She could likely not only walk but be taken to a level of physical power beyond anything she ever had.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambler: I cant find the scan, but i am certain i have seen somewhere that she was offered a cure.. hmm
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " Using a "holy" relic is different then using modern day advances in technology and medical treatments. It doesn't necessarily mean she does not want to, or is not open to, walking again. That's more about the way in which it is done (in my opinion). "
    Possible... I was just pointing out a specific instance when she could have walked again and the reason why given in that story. Explanations are few in the comics to why this situation persists.  Considering the world she lives in, the only thing actually stopping her is author fiat and a vague in-universe explanation about her refusing for unspecified reasons. I mean considering who she hangs out with. She could likely not only walk but be taken to a level of physical power beyond anything she ever had. "
    Agreed.

@.Mistress Redhead. said:
    " @Gambler: I cant find the scan, but i am certain i have seen somewhere that she was offered a cure.. hmm "

Besides the "Holy Grail" incident?
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Ya Babs did get her legs back for a while and went to show Dick and he was with Starfire and she was just like what's the point and decided to go back in the chair in the Oracle persona if she can't have Dick

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " Ya Babs did get her legs back for a while and went to show Dick and he was with Starfire and she was just like what's the point and decided to go back in the chair in the Oracle persona if she can't have Dick "
    Nice. Do you remember what issue/comic this took place in?
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By warlock360
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " Ya Babs did get her legs back for a while and went to show Dick and he was with Starfire and she was just like what's the point and decided to go back in the chair in the Oracle persona if she can't have Dick "
    INNUENDO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Gambler said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    Nice. Do you remember what issue/comic this took place in? "
    You'll have to give me a minute to go scrummaging through my back issues but it was either BoP or Nightwing I'll keep you posted
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    Nice. Do you remember what issue/comic this took place in? "
    You'll have to give me a minute to go scrummaging through my back issues but it was either BoP or Nightwing I'll keep you posted "

No Caption Provided
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Cool scan (still trying to find what issue :P)

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEGRAAF

i didnt realize this was after she became paralyzed tho. from reading it it seems more like something that happened before the accident and they are talking about it afterwards

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " i didnt realize this was after she became paralyzed tho "
    you know I think it may have been a flashback I am going to have to re read the issue when I find it but I do know she also was given some sort of cybernetic suit built by Ted Kord IIRC
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Son_of_Magnus: 

Im thinking it was a flashback also
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By Dracade102

I Say she should get one of those Power-Suits that Batman Wore in Kingdom Come---When He Was crippled...
    I Can't Stand to see such a character with such bad luck...

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By fACEmelter88

A lot of good ideas her but her spinal cord injury could be incomplete or complete. Complete meaning that NO messages from her brain will pass the injury her looks to be maybe L-2 maybe even L-4 so thats pretty low meaning thats why she has such great balance. If her injury is incomplete who knows what she is capable of since the cord is not completely severed meaning neural (not nerval Voidheart) messages to her legs and that could be why Deadman during Blackest Night got her to move so well. I'm not sure about her history tho just know a bunch about spinal cord injuries. Though her leg muscles would atrophy or deteriorate they would still keep their mass (thats how it goes sometime). Soooo yea......

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By geraldthesloth

Because being in a wheel chair is some serious character development

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " Because being in a wheel chair is some serious character development "
    Only when it makes sense and it actually goes somewhere and doesn't stop character devellopment. The big problem is in the DC universe, especially with a member of the bat family. It doesn't. She could have gone through a whole arc to relearn to walk, fight, etc. But as a permanent state, there is absolutely no reason. 
    She knows people who could give her back her legs just by whispering a few words and twirling their fingers, she knows people who could literally rip on her broken spine and replace it with a superior cybernetic one that could make her as potent as Deathstroke in H2H. The only reason she is still in a wheel chair is because the writers want her in that chair.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By warlock360
    @fACEmelter88: what i meant ;p couldn't find the word LOL
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Crom-Cruach: It was sarcasm, I think barbra gordon is useless now anyways.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By warlock360
    @geraldthesloth: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wait for it you gonna get hauled ass for that one by somebody LOL
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Voidheart: Hauled ass?..by Gordon's tires? they should put rockets on the back of her wheel chair..that would make her interesting.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Son_of_Magnus said:
    really? what was that in? do you have the scan? 

@Gambler: NO, I read that one, I am sure that I read that some agency offered her a cure... but it could be a dream unless SOM can show us the scan!
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By lorex

Of course the technology in the DCU exists the allow her the use of her legs. There are any number of technology or magic that could facilitate that. Its been shown with other characters. Its an editorial decision
    to keep her in the chair, plain and simple. I would be willing to bet if she was killed when the Joker shot her she would have already returned from the grave by now.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By Bestostero
    @lorex said:
    " I would be willing to bet if she was killed when the Joker shot her she would have already returned from the grave by now. "
    Very true, she needs to be able to walk again, its really over due...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#41  Edited By xerox_kitty

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.