Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Oracle: The Cure #3, Was The Ending What You Wanted?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

What happened?  This series had so much potential in the beginning.  We got to see some insight into Oracle's mind but it didn't feel we got a complete ending.  So what is the "cure"?  Does anyone receive it? 

What do you think will happen next?  It was actually while I was editing this video that I got an idea as to who Batgirl might be.  I cut that part out and I'll keep it to myself.  Shall we begin the speculation now?  Did you feel this really fit in with "Battle For The Cowl"?
    Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
    Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SPOILERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BLAAAAAA

yea honestly i kinda didnt think it would go out that way, i mean all calculator wanted was to cure his child (even by all means necessary...) and she just called the cops on him : /

i mean, maybe if he would of succeeded his daughter wouldnt be paralized either, so BOO @ Oracle for this one...

and since it says "Continued in Batgirl" i think we'll find out more there ;D
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I thought Joker shot Oracle in the spine?

How does shooting one in the stomach = paralysis?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

Obviously this isn't the last we'll hear about his daughter Wendy...

Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheDrifter said:
    " I thought Joker shot Oracle in the spine? How does shooting one in the stomach = paralysis? "
    if your a good shot (which in this case i think joker is) you can actually shoot THROUGH the stomache into / through the spine ;D

@G-Man said:
    " Obviously this isn't the last we'll hear about his daughter Wendy... "

Oh now your just making it tense <.<
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Media_Master

I figured she would become batgirl...eventually

Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @TheDrifter said:
    " I thought Joker shot Oracle in the spine? How does shooting one in the stomach = paralysis? "

No Caption Provided

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

So basically Oracle will be reprising her role as in Birds of Prey to some extent by setting up missions, providing tech support, training, etc. for the new Batgirl?  How many Batgirls are there going to be?  Not complaining, just wondering. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'm impressed that in the space of one thought box (what's wrong with good old fashioned thought bubbles, anyway??) they eliminated the old 'the Joker raped her' theory.  Gritty, dramatic good writing was wiped out twenty-one years later by anti-climatic bad writing.  

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By DMC

I definitely didn't expect that kind of ending. For those who picked the Calculator's daughter as the next Batgirl this issue might have spoiled her chances.

I wonder if we'll see the new Batgirl from the get-go in BG #1 or will they drag it out over the first few issues, you know like in Black Panther.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattydeNero
    What about Cassanrda Cane?  Last time I remember seeing her was in the "NETWORK" one-shot.  Did I miss something?  Or is it Cane on the cover of Batgirl #1?  I never really expected to get a "new" Batgirl out of this series.  And especially not Wendy, Calc's daughter.

I was really bummed out how this mini-series panned out.  It wasn't really about anything to do with Batman's death.  I guess DC wanted to put Oracle in the spotlight, but they forgot to deliver anything, really.  The Calc's daughter is still screwed and someone outside of the Network now knows of Babs' identity.  Again, am I missing something?  By the way, don't you guys think that whole thing with that programmer was a little stupid?  Especially if that's all that we see of him.

How many "Batwomen" are we going to end up with here?
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Am i the only one who thinks that this series was dissapointing i read the first issue cuz it was battle for the cowl tie in but thought it sucked and skipped the rest and this didnt look any better

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By geraldthesloth

DC is just going to forget about Cane and im happy with it..and i have a good idea of who batgirl is :)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I'm impressed that in the space of one thought box (what's wrong with good old fashioned thought bubbles, anyway??) they eliminated the old 'the Joker raped her' theory.  Gritty, dramatic good writing was wiped out twenty-one years later by anti-climatic bad writing.   "
    ? It was never written that the Joker raped Barbra Gordon. After shooting her he undressed her and took pictures. Which he then showed to a captured Commissioner Gordon in an attempt to drive him crazy/over the edge. That's still canon, nothing's been re-written.
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slinger
    @Gambler said:
    " After shooting her he undressed her and took pictures. "
    That is rape.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Zoom

@Slinger said:

"@Gambler said:
    That is rape."

This seemed wrong to me so I looked it up.

According to M-Webster online:
    "Rape is defined as sexual intercourse forced on a person"

After checking dictionary.com, medterms.com, thefreedictionary.com and even West's Encyclopedia of American Law, I still haven't found any definition of rape that would call undressing someone and taking pictures of them rape unless there was also unwanted touching of the genitals, breasts or buttocks.

Fyi, shooting someone, taking off their clothes and taking pictures, while terrible, disgusting and evil?  Not rape.

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Battle for the Batgirl Cowl

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slinger
    @Zoom said:
    "

@Slinger said:

"@Gambler said:
    That is rape."

This seemed wrong to me so I looked it up.

According to M-Webster online:
    "Rape is defined as sexual intercourse forced on a person"

After checking dictionary.com, medterms.com, thefreedictionary.com and even West's Encyclopedia of American Law, I still haven't found any definition of rape that would call undressing someone and taking pictures of them rape unless there was also unwanted touching of the genitals, breasts or buttocks.

Fyi, shooting someone, taking off their clothes and taking pictures, while terrible, disgusting and evil?  Not rape.

"
    I should have been more clear originally. Let me rephrase, "In my opinion, that is rape." I don't believe it is the legal definition.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Gambler said:
    "
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I'm impressed that in the space of one thought box (what's wrong with good old fashioned thought bubbles, anyway??) they eliminated the old 'the Joker raped her' theory.  Gritty, dramatic good writing was wiped out twenty-one years later by anti-climatic bad writing.   "
    ? It was never written that the Joker raped Barbra Gordon. After shooting her he undressed her and took pictures. Which he then showed to a captured Commissioner Gordon in an attempt to drive him crazy/over the edge. That's still canon, nothing's been re-written."

That's why I said it was a 'theory' and didn't say 're-written'.  There was the possibility that it happened.  Just because it wasn't shown or specifically stated doesn't mean it didn't happen.  When a psychotic villain has a girl on the edge of death and rips her clothes off... what's to say that he didn't take it a step further before he took those degrading photographs?  It's not a nice theory, and it's not one that I'm in support of.  But it's been discussed various times over the years. 

It just feels that 'The Cure' threw in that thought-box just to eliminate those kinds of debates once and for all. 
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Slinger said:
    "
    @Gambler said:
    That is rape. "
    Its alot of things but rape isn't one of em.

@xerox-kitty said:
    " That's why I said it was a 'theory' and didn't say 're-written'.  There was the possibility that it happened.  Just because it wasn't shown or specifically stated doesn't mean it didn't happen.  When a psychotic villain has a girl on the edge of death and rips her clothes off... what's to say that he didn't take it a step further before he took those degrading photographs?  It's not a nice theory, and it's not one that I'm in support of.  But it's been discussed various times over the years.  It just feels that 'The Cure' threw in that thought-box just to eliminate those kinds of debates once and for all.  "
    Not sure why anyone would speculate that the Joker raped her. If you go back and read the issue its pretty clear that he didn't.

Heres a scan of Barbra right after shes found. The detective Bullock says the same thing Oracle does in the last issue. No hint of rape what so ever.
    Heres a scan of Barbra right after shes found. The detective Bullock says the same thing Oracle does in the last issue. No hint of rape what so ever.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty

I have it at home, thanks.

I didn't say I started the rape theory.  It's not even a theory I care much for.  It's just a theory, and it has been discussed for years.  But when a psycho villain shoots someone, undresses them and then takes pictures of them... You can see why people believe there might have been more, even if you don't agree with it.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I didn't say u did :) But when she's lying there in a hospital bed and there's a doctor and a detective right there, and neither one mention anything remotely connected to rape, its hard for me to see how that theory started. I guess I just haven't been around long enough cause I've never heard anyone debating whether or not she was raped. The DCU clearly has no problem writing rape into certain story arcs but their very specific about it. Whats said in the original scan is the same thing Oracle says in the last issue. I'm just not seeing how her word bubble changed anything.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Psychotime

How was that not a spoiler?

Oh...nevermind. It's vague. Ok.

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Psychotime
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I have it at home, thanks.

I didn't say I started the rape theory.  It's not even a theory I care much for.  It's just a theory, and it has been discussed for years. "
    You make me laugh. You were so certain in your first quote and called it "bad writing" when they told the truth, which quoted the "good writing" you claimed was removed. Now that you were proven wrong, you suddenly say that you didn't even believe it to begin with. People like you make me laugh.

Killing Joke is overratted, anyway.
    FatCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FatCobra
    @xerox-kitty said:
    Wut? When did Joker rape Barbara? Has the Joker ever raped someone besides the time in the joker graphic novel?
    mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By mrjoshua

The Joker didn't sexual rape her. He shot her in the abdomine. The bullet severed her spine. He undressed her and took pictures. He didn't violate her sexually.

But getting to the Oracle, I thought this was pretty good. I think the end is messed up. Poor Wendy. She loses her brother Marv and now she can't walk. But what should Barbra have done? Let him use the Anit-Life Equation on her? It might her helped her but then what would she become? Besides he killed people to obtain that equation. Helping his daughter doesn't justify murder.

I wish Barbra would learn to walk on her hands. She looked terrible when attacked by that Asia gang and had to crawl around on the floor. I'm not saying she has to fight on her hands or try to run after some one but it would sure help her when in a bind like that.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.