Is New 52 Batgirl worth the read?

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by The_Eurythmic_King_of_Nowhere (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok. I'm too young to remember when Barbara was Batgirl. As long as I've known her she has always been Oracle. Moreover, I was a huge Cassandra Cain fan and I hated to see her written out of existence with so many others (Donna Troy R.I.P.). So far, the New 52 hasn't disappointed me too much. I'm enoying most of the books about the Bat Family. I'm just wondering if it's worth the read?

#2 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Barbara as Batgirl is one of my favorite characters so I was excited about her return to the cowl. That being said, I've found this current series to be a little bit spotty, sometimes I like it sometimes I don't. I would say pick up Batgirl #10 because it started the most recent arc and you get a good feel of who this new Barbara is. She's not Oracle and she's not the Batgirl we were familiar with.

#3 Posted by The_Tree (6404 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I found what I read to be very so-so.

Online
#4 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it all that much. She's in Birds of Prey as well, though she feels kinda out-of-place in it imo.

#5 Posted by Owen_Porter (83173 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Moderator
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27334 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Batwoman instead 

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

#8 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown!!

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92080 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy it.

Moderator
#10 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown was simply a stand in for the much more awesome Cass Cain!!

fixed

#11 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy it so far, however I only have the first two issues so far so i'll give a better opinion later lol

#12 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda on the average side

#13 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3317 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

#14 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown was simply a stand in for the much more awesome Cass Cain is AWESOME!!

fixed

#15 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown was simply a stand in for the much more awesome Cass Cain is less AWESOME than Cass Cain!!

fixed

#16 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown was simply a stand in for the much more awesome Cass Cain is more AWESOME than Cass Cain!!

fixed

You are a cool guy. Nice sense of humor.

#17 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8752 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it is worth reading. I like the series

#18 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 is the best one I've read. If nothing else check it out.

#19 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

You are a cool guy. Nice sense of humor.

The same applies to you....Cass is still better

#20 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#21 Posted by The_Eurythmic_King_of_Nowhere (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark: Is it fine if I just jump right in at #9 or do they just spend the first couple issues establishing her as Batgirl? Because she's still the first right? Neither Cass nor Steph exist in the relaunch.

@Adnan: I didn't realize she was in BOP. I had been avoiding reading it because I didn't see how it would make any sense without her as Oracle. What's her role in BOP? Like what does she even bring to the table that the rest of the team doesn't have?

#22 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Eurythmic_King_of_Nowhere: It's a pretty middle of the road book. Nothing about it is really terrible, but it's not amazingly good either. I agree with that Batwoman is a much better book than Batgirl.

#23 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

If nothing else, the artwork has been beautiful.

#24 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Eurythmic_King_of_Nowhere said:

@RoboShark: Is it fine if I just jump right in at #9 or do they just spend the first couple issues establishing her as Batgirl? Because she's still the first right? Neither Cass nor Steph exist in the relaunch.

@Adnan: I didn't realize she was in BOP. I had been avoiding reading it because I didn't see how it would make any sense without her as Oracle. What's her role in BOP? Like what does she even bring to the table that the rest of the team doesn't have?

I mean it depends on how much of a Barbara fan you are. If you want to see what her life is like now days (her Mom came back into her life.) I'd say check it out.

#25 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Eurythmic_King_of_Nowhere: Sales. She brings sales to the book and not much else lol. The title has still been enjoyable with her there though.
#26 Posted by X9 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Seriously.

#27 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good. I just wish she felt like oracle.

#28 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (4994 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy reading Batgirl.

#29 Posted by hyperman (135 posts) - - Show Bio

I had waited nearly twenty years for this to happen . Finally Barbara is back as Batgirl. no matter what some people say, for me and the public in general the one and only Batigirl will be the redhead, Commisioner Gordon's daughter : Barbara Gordon!

#30 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

i love it.

#31 Posted by X35 (5972 posts) - - Show Bio

It's great. The only New 52 I'm still pulling. xD

#32 Posted by X9 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperman said:

I had waited nearly twenty years for this to happen . Finally Barbara is back as Batgirl. no matter what some people say, for me and the public in general the one and only Batigirl will be the redhead, Commisioner Gordon's daughter : Barbara Gordon!

Same here!

My favorite female character walking again and kickin' some asses \o/

#33 Posted by SupBatz (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really reccomend the book. I don't mind Barbara being Batgirl again or that Cass and Steph are MIA but I still have found that Babs as Batgirl just isn't being done justice.

She just doesn't feel as smart as she used to be. And (not all the time, but often enough) she is written very girly - now, when I say that, I mean she is written in a cliche "teenage girl" kind of way - and it often comes off as a major turn off.

The stories so far in the book have ranged from very good to just ok. If you're looking for a book with interesting story but not a very interesting (or faithful) adaptation of the character then it's worth a read.

#34 Posted by Ravager4 (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz said:

I don't really reccomend the book. I don't mind Barbara being Batgirl again or that Cass and Steph are MIA but I still have found that Babs as Batgirl just isn't being done justice.

She just doesn't feel as smart as she used to be. And (not all the time, but often enough) she is written very girly - now, when I say that, I mean she is written in a cliche "teenage girl" kind of way - and it often comes off as a major turn off.

The stories so far in the book have ranged from very good to just ok. If you're looking for a book with interesting story but not a very interesting (or faithful) adaptation of the character then it's worth a read.

The reason she feels 'less smart' or more 'girly' is because she's still young and developing as a character. Barbara isn't that older, evolved character yet, she's still at an earlier point in her life. That's how her journey, so to speak, ends, and right now we're following her through the earlier stages of it. Gail Simone herself explains (via tumblr):

The thing is, I am enjoying writing a younger, less perfect Barbara because I think she and Oracle are the same character at different points in their lives. I love the stories of characters like Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan and Conan and the Star Trek crew BEFORE they became undefeatable because it sheds interesting light on their characters. I also love the stories with them in full command of their abilities. It’s like telling a legend at different points in the timeline, I do really enjoy that. If you’re at the beginning of the story and only want to see the end, that probably is frustrating, but I really, really enjoy the journey. I know Oracle is still inside Barbara, in the stories we’re telling, she just hasn’t come out yet.

...

“I want Oracle back,” is a perfectly understandable sentiment and a perfect reason not to read or to like the current Batgirl book. “I miss Clark and Lois being married,” is a perfect reason not to read or like the current Superman stuff. And so on, and so on. Every time there is a major continuity shift, some people don’t care for it and don’t jump aboard and I don’t blame them at all for that.

But it does seem a little weird to keep saying, “This isn’t Oracle,” when that is so clearly the point. This is a very young woman who has had an horrific trauma and is just getting her wings back. Not everyone wants to read that, but a lot of people do, more people than read Birds of Prey or the previous Batgirl.

I could have kept writing Oracle forever, kept writing BoP forever. I loved it. But I also love writing Barbara when she HADN’T yet become the conquering all-force of the internet. I like both. That moment with the freezing in front of the gun is important. Saying she hasn’t evolved when it’s literally her second night back in the cape does seem a little odd.

I for one absolutely love how the book has been going (it’s my favorite one I’m reading right now, and quite honestly the only one I anticipate with butterflies as each new issue approaches), and I’ve found even more love for a character who was already one of my favorites. While I’m way to young to have grown up with her as Batgirl in comics, I knew her from Batman TAS and such, and that’s always how I knew Batgirl. When I started getting into comics, I was confused as to why she wasn’t Batgirl, until I read the Killing Joke and learned about that whole backstory, but I grew to love her as Oracle, too.

With her back as Batgirl, I get to experience a completely new side of her in comics that I haven’t personally seen yet, and it’s been fantastic thus far. I love the way Gail Simone has been writing her. Yeah, she’s still a little rusty after having returned from three years in a wheelchair, but really that’s to be expected, and she’s still growing as both a character and a hero. She’s younger and still has a lot to learn, and I think that’s great.

I know many are upset that she isn’t Oracle, and yes it is a void that I think does need to be filled by someone someday (sooner rather than later, I hope), but it was DC that decided that Babs is going to be Batgirl again, not Gail Simone, who I think has been doing excellent job with what she's been given to work with. I for one adore Barbara in every possible way right now.

#35 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@SupBatz said:

I don't really reccomend the book. I don't mind Barbara being Batgirl again or that Cass and Steph are MIA but I still have found that Babs as Batgirl just isn't being done justice.

She just doesn't feel as smart as she used to be. And (not all the time, but often enough) she is written very girly - now, when I say that, I mean she is written in a cliche "teenage girl" kind of way - and it often comes off as a major turn off.

The stories so far in the book have ranged from very good to just ok. If you're looking for a book with interesting story but not a very interesting (or faithful) adaptation of the character then it's worth a read.

The reason she feels 'less smart' or more 'girly' is because she's still young and developing as a character. Barbara isn't that older, evolved character yet, she's still at an earlier point in her life. That's how her journey, so to speak, ends, and right now we're following her through the earlier stages of it. Gail Simone herself explains (via tumblr):

The thing is, I am enjoying writing a younger, less perfect Barbara because I think she and Oracle are the same character at different points in their lives. I love the stories of characters like Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan and Conan and the Star Trek crew BEFORE they became undefeatable because it sheds interesting light on their characters. I also love the stories with them in full command of their abilities. It’s like telling a legend at different points in the timeline, I do really enjoy that. If you’re at the beginning of the story and only want to see the end, that probably is frustrating, but I really, really enjoy the journey. I know Oracle is still inside Barbara, in the stories we’re telling, she just hasn’t come out yet.

...

“I want Oracle back,” is a perfectly understandable sentiment and a perfect reason not to read or to like the current Batgirl book. “I miss Clark and Lois being married,” is a perfect reason not to read or like the current Superman stuff. And so on, and so on. Every time there is a major continuity shift, some people don’t care for it and don’t jump aboard and I don’t blame them at all for that.

But it does seem a little weird to keep saying, “This isn’t Oracle,” when that is so clearly the point. This is a very young woman who has had an horrific trauma and is just getting her wings back. Not everyone wants to read that, but a lot of people do, more people than read Birds of Prey or the previous Batgirl.

I could have kept writing Oracle forever, kept writing BoP forever. I loved it. But I also love writing Barbara when she HADN’T yet become the conquering all-force of the internet. I like both. That moment with the freezing in front of the gun is important. Saying she hasn’t evolved when it’s literally her second night back in the cape does seem a little odd.

I for one absolutely love how the book has been going (it’s my favorite one I’m reading right now, and quite honestly the only one I anticipate with butterflies as each new issue approaches), and I’ve found even more love for a character who was already one of my favorites. While I’m way to young to have grown up with her as Batgirl in comics, I knew her from Batman TAS and such, and that’s always how I knew Batgirl. When I started getting into comics, I was confused as to why she wasn’t Batgirl, until I read the Killing Joke and learned about that whole backstory, but I grew to love her as Oracle, too.

With her back as Batgirl, I get to experience a completely new side of her in comics that I haven’t personally seen yet, and it’s been fantastic thus far. I love the way Gail Simone has been writing her. Yeah, she’s still a little rusty after having returned from three years in a wheelchair, but really that’s to be expected, and she’s still growing as both a character and a hero. She’s younger and still has a lot to learn, and I think that’s great.

I know many are upset that she isn’t Oracle, and yes it is a void that I think does need to be filled by someone someday (sooner rather than later, I hope), but it was DC that decided that Babs is going to be Batgirl again, not Gail Simone, who I think has been doing excellent job with what she's been given to work with. I for one adore Barbara in every possible way right now.

i hv read all the books till issue 10 but it never occured to me... does this mean she was not the oracle when she was in the wheelchair??

#36 Posted by Ravager4 (1625 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent: that actually hasn't been addressed yet, but Gail has stated that it would be covered some time in the future.

#37 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@cloudzackvincent: that actually hasn't been addressed yet, but Gail has stated that it would be covered some time in the future.

OK..i have decided not to worry about the DCnU continuity anyway..i just let it be and imagine whatever i think must have happened has happened

#38 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (4994 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl 52 has been very good. I'm liking it.
All the bat titles in 52 has been great. My faves are Nightwing and Batman.

#39 Posted by cc1738 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it and if your interested in it you should pick it up. Especially since issue 0 is coming out and that's supposed to be a jump on point.

#40 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I was considering collecting it digitally to save some cash, but maybe now I won't after reading this. But then again, maybe I will.

#41 Edited by cc1738 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92: Some people just can't get over that they made Barabra Gordon Batgirl again and that's the main reason they don't like it. It's one of my favorite titles DC is currently releasing and I wasn't a huge fan of the character prior to the new 52. If your interested in it you should pick it up. The art is really good in my opinion and the villians aren't the greatest at the moment, but Simone really gets you in the head of Batgirl to make you really like her character.

#42 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@cc1738: Ok, thanks. Maybe I will check it out since I don't mind them bringing her back as Batgirl and I'm already reading a lot of other Bat Family titles.

#43 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

#44 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, she's a bit more youthful than I would like her to be.

#45 Posted by The Stegman (20732 posts) - - Show Bio

At first, I was kinda on the fence about the title, now I can honestly say it's pretty great. It's been constantly making me happy and I'm glad it's on my pull list.

#46 Posted by BradBrains (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Twentyfive said:

@BlackArmor said:

@Gambler said:

I've only enjoyed the Court of Owls tie-in but then again I'm bias. There's only one Batgirl and her name is Cassandra Cain ;)

Super QFT x100000

Stephanie Brown was simply a stand in for the much more awesome Cass Cain is more AWESOME than Cass Cain!!

fixed

You are a cool guy. Nice sense of humor.

I really liked the stephanie brown stuff becuase it was one of my light hearted comics to read. they were very different so its hard to compare which ones better really

#47 Posted by CoolnTwisted2k20 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Cassandra Cain is and has always been Batgirl for me. I was only comfortable with Barbara as Batgirl in the animated series because it fit that universe (which was very kid centric). DC comic universe Cass was the one for the cowl. Barbara fans (the ones on dcboards) have no idea what the hell they are talking about regarding reasons for why she deserves it. Cassandra was snubbed the role because of idiotic blunders by the writing staff of Dc. Cass's issues stomped over any stories Babs had. Her role as the knowledge broker was beyond awesome and her avatar unit which Bruce gave her in Batman Inc was a brilliant idea. The Batgirl idea is such a step backwards it's not even funny.

#48 Posted by TDK_1997 (13684 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not bad but it's not a must read.

#49 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a solid series, but not one of the top best at DC right now.

#50 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a solid series, but not one of the top best at DC right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.