Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4169 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Has Barabara's parentage been retconned?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

This is just a simple question I've been asking myself lately. I'm not sure which came first but at one point Barbara was Jim Gordon's niece that came to live with her and I think it was just for the cartoons but at one point she was changed to actually be Jim's daughter. So I'm just wondering if it's been retconned to match the cartoons because they never seem to mention it in the books at all.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Her origin has changed a billion times in the comics. At one point, she was his daughter, then his niece, then his step-daughter, so on and so forth. The cartoons just aped what was going on in the comics.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Samimista

@ThanosIsMad said:

Her origin has changed a billion times in the comics. At one point, she was his daughter, then his niece, then his step-daughter, so on and so forth. The cartoons just aped what was going on in the comics.

This. It's hard to keep up with her parentage at times. @_@

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By nightwing91

Well as it was he was her adoptive father, but with the possibility of being her biological father from her mother or that's the story most recently from an early issue of Gotham Knights.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself
    according to Batgirl #5 ...she's now Jim's biological daughter and her mother left them while Barbara was still very young....also of note is that Jim never remarried so I guess that means that Sarah Essen has been retconned

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.