Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Do you think Barbara Gordon is much better than Stephanie Brown?

• 77 results
    arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By arnoldoaad

@The Stegman said:

It seems that Gail basically turned New 52 Babs into Steph if you ask me.

steph didnt whine that much

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think Babs is a better character than Stephanie, but I like all of the Batgirls.

DC should bring them all back as:

Babs = Oracle

Cass = Batgirl

Steph = Spoiler

None of them need to be exactly like they were Pre New 52, but they all had established roles and worked well together, making Babs Batgirl again and tossing the rest in limbo is not an improvement. If they want to have Babs active again give her a dual identity with a different name in the field.

All 3 characters have a fanbase to support a Batgirl title, not using two of them while DC cancels dead weight over and over is bad business

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

Yes, I think Steph is extremely overrated. Barbara is the one true Batgirl

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Love Barbara i'm excited she's Back ,as Batgirl. Barbara>>>>>>Stephanie Brown.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I think Steph is extremely overrated. Barbara is the one true Batgirl

Agreed.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I prefer Barbara as a character to Stephanie as a character. But I prefer Stephanie as Batgirl to Barbara as Batgirl.

Regardless, I wish DC would put her back in action. Spoiler, Robin, Batgirl, I don't care which. But it's been far too long since we last saw her.

Avatar image for icametoaskquestions
    Icametoaskquestions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethysquare: bump

I'm horny for Barbara so I'm biased towards her.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Barbara is a far better Batgirl than Steph.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked Steph alot. She was not very fit for the role, but it was a process of growth and she was really getting the hang of it before they rebooted. I really enjoyed her run in Batgirl, and the crossover into Red Robin as well. To be honest, as much as I like Barbara as Batgirl, she needs to get shot in the spine again. We need Oracle back.

@hastny said:

Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown and Oracle are my favourite characters in comics. But lets face it. None of them has appeared since the reboot. This new batgirl isn't the Barbara Gordon we've all come to love. She's to insecure in herself not to mention bland and broken. All in all she's just a horrible copy of Stephanie but without the charm and homour. Hopefully we'll one day see the three ladies fighting alongside each other again but somehow I doubt it, and that makes me really sad indeed.

This and this. Well said.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethysquare:

I totally agree with you, i could never see Stephanie Brown, Babs is, was , and will be the iconic and only one batgirl.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!

For one, she sells more so I have backing up!! :D And she's always been the one true Batgirl IMO! Not that there's anything wrong with her sucessors at all. They're cool! I just don't understand why people act as if Oracle and Batgirl Babs are different. They're not. It's not a step backwards at all. This isn't like Nightwing going back to being Robin. She was Oracle cause she was paralyzed and still wanted to be a hero in a way, not because she outgrew the role. Nightwing/Robin is so different from Oracle/Batgirl! Besides, being Batgirl doesn't stop the fact she was Oracle. Screw whatever the reboot does. Every character isn't as connected as before, anyway! She still was the best goddarn parapeligic hero evar! And now she's overcome it and kicking butt again! She can still be connected to every hero and be that brilliant and analytical woman that she is! But now, she can run to us and kick all of our A**** now! And get in on the real actions! To me, it's not all that different! It's like Nightwing =Robin = Dick Grayson. No matter what alias Barbra is, she's still herself! She can be Batman and I still think Barbara when I read her as such! >:D Nothing cannot convince me otherwise.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barbara rocks all the way! she is the original, unfortunatelu Stephanie was an attemp of Batgirl.

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because Yvonne Craig is Barbara Gordon!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Cassie is obviously the most skilled Batgirl. And honestly I haven't read enough Babs stories to tell you if she's a better Batgirl than Stephanie or not. All I know is one is more popular.

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell Yea, Yvonne Craig as Barbara Gordon is back!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both. Both are in my top five favorite female characters. Pre new 52 I liked steph better as batgirl, and better overall. She had her own series that was pretty awesome, and simply did way more than Barbara. Barbara just giving batman info got boring sometimes. I prefer Barbara as batgirl than oracle, like in new 52. I don't know if Stephanie will be bat girl ever in new 52 but its too early to judge who is better. Also, new 52 Barbara is way better than her previous version, so that's a good start.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cass is my Batgirl. However, Steph as Batgirl did grow on me and I would have preferred she stay Batgirl and Barbra stay Oracle instead of undoing years of character development.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barbara IS Batgirl...it's just that simple. It's not a mantle so much as an identity for her. You can see that in the way that the series shows her interactions with other characters. She's not being compared to someone, she's respected by her allies and enemies and she is definitely fierce in a fight. Batgirl isn't a role for her it's an identity she forged.

Stephanie is my favorite character....period. But she needed Batgirl, she needed that role of an partially independent hero to help her grow into a more independent person. Steph wasn't Batgirl she was A Batgirl. So when i think Batgirl my thought doesn't automatically go to her. it goes to Babs and what she makes the role out to be.

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By theCARS7879

hell yea Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl forever , Yvonne Craig!

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Batgirl!

Avatar image for superbatty90909
    Superbatty90909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far im concerned. Barbara is Batgirl. And shes probably the only Batgril anyone who dosn't read the comics cares about. Frankly i always thought it was stupid to make her into Batman technical support. And it was even lamer to have her revictimized by having her reliving the killing joke Over and Over and Over again. Thank god DC finally ended that crap.

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i prefer Barbara Gordon. I know Stephanie is cool but Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl aka Yvonne Craig, so yeah Barbara Gordon forever!

theCARS7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superbatty90909: I so agree with you and Im so glad Barbara Gordon is back in the New 52

Im glad they brought it back , it was probably for the 50th anniversary of the Batman 60s TV show

RIP Yvonne

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I disliked her when she was Spoiler. I started to hate her when she became the next Batgirl.

Why couldn't they keep Cassandra Cain as Bargirl and Barbara as Oracle?

PrhymahkanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate her, but I find cass more interesting and babs is the first batgirl I've know and the original one, the problem is that both of them rock as black bat and oracle yet they still beat her as batgirl and that's my opinion

BecauseBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list goes Cass then Steph then Babs just personal preference

BecauseBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, Babs is meh, don't hate her but don't love her (not in a weird way), Steph is cool although I think she's better as spoiler, plus I really like her costume design as Batgirl, but Cass is by far my favourite and her run as Batgirl from 2000-2006 (I think?) was AMAZING. Period.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

love both babs and steph.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.