Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4184 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

DCAU Batgirl or Young Justice Batgirl?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll DCAU Batgirl or Young Justice Batgirl? (27 votes)

DCAU Batgirl 33%
    Young Justice Batgirl 67%

Which do you like more and why?

• 
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

Oh that's a tough one. I like the design better from Young Justice but the coloring is better from DCAU.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

That's an interesting question. One I had to take a minute to think about.

Design-wise, I'd go Young Justice. She's sleeker and older looking, which is nice. And looks more formidable that Timm-verse Barbara while still retaining an attractive quality.

I think it's a tie for the voice. Tara Strong and Allison Stoner both gave a pretty great Babs. I think Kimberly Brooks (the Arkham games) has given us our best vocal performance of Barbara to date. But both Strong and Stoner did respectable jobs as well.

In terms of combat and intellectual prowess, Young Justice Batgirl is pretty badass. While she rarely got moments to shine, she kicked some serious butt in ever fight scene she was in - holding her own against some really big baddies longer than her super-powered comrades. DCAU Batgirl also had a fair amount of on-screen combat. But nothing she did really made her stand out against the rest of the vigilantes as a combatant. Intellectually, they are both portrayed as pretty intelligent. I don't think it'd be fair to throw a victory either way. But I think that it's important to mention that in the DCAU, Barbara was written pretty inconsistently (especially between B:TAS and TNBA) so gauging her intelligence is difficult.

And in terms of actual character development, neither Batgirl really got much of it. Barbara didn't really have a major story to herself in the DCAU, save Shadow of the Bat and Batgirl Returns - both of which portrayed Barbara in a...strange manner, in my opinion. And Young Justice Barbara had even less exposure, really only serving as a background character who occasionally kicked some butt in a group fight scene or yelled out an amusing one-liner.

Young Justice Batgirl wins out for me in the end, having interested me more than DCAU Babs in spite of her limited role in the series. But no disrespect to DCAU Babs, who was also pretty cool in her own right.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: Very interesting...

She did have a cool design in that show

No Caption Provided

(more proportionate)

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ganon15: I'd never seen those shots of her. They all look pretty great. And I love the laughing fish allusion XD

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As if she had a big role during both series hahaha x'D

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RustyRoy

DCAU

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Young Justice only beacuse she doesn't have a pseudo-incetous relationship with Bruce. That was one of the worst ideas of the old DCAU.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DevilMayehm666
    R4nger60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

But I think that it's important to mention that in the DCAU, Barbara was written pretty inconsistently (especially between B:TAS and TNBA)

save Shadow of the Bat and Batgirl Returns - both of which portrayed Barbara in a...strange manner, in my opinion. And Young Justice Barbara had even less exposure, really only serving as a background character who occasionally kicked some butt in a group fight scene or yelled out an amusing one-liner.

Come again?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.