DC New 52 Batgirl...

#1 Posted by x-men codename: Phoenix (47 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm following the new 52 comics but I am puzzled by something? Can Batgirl actually walk now or is she using some type of technology to walk?

#2 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they retconned her paralysis.

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7911 posts) - - Show Bio

yea it seems to be temporal paralysis. She learned to walk again. I find it interesting people keep pointing guns at her and she freaks out. I thought she got over that while she was in the chair

#4 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

After 3 years there was a "miracle" and she healed. They've not revealed what the miracle was yet, but 3 years is a little long for any sort of natural "miracle" to have taken place. As I understand it, the nerve endings would have died at that point, and those don't grow back. Plus the issue had some medical description of the wound that I assume signifies a clear cut or break, meaning regrowth wouldn't have have been possible anyway.

The only experience I have of these things was when my older brother got the "tommy john" surgery, which required that the ulnar nerve (the "funny bone" nerve) in his arm be moved. It did not react well (no fault of the doctor's, just a bad reaction) and his right arm was paralyzed for about 9 months give or take, leading to concerns that the hand would "claw up" or the nerve endings would die before the nerve itself would regrow, making the injury permanent.

Then, rather suddenly, he got feeling and mobility back. The doctors were surprised but didn't call it a "miracle" or anything. They did ask him if he wouldn't mind a small surgery so they could go in and see how his arm repaired itself, however, to which he gave them a big "get bent."

#5 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:

yea it seems to be temporal paralysis. She learned to walk again. I find it interesting people keep pointing guns at her and she freaks out. I thought she got over that while she was in the chair

Well I'm guessing they cut the time she spent in the time so maybe she hasnt completely yet. I'm interesting to see how she's gonna overcome this fear because experience did scar her for life.
#6 Posted by TheOptimist (681 posts) - - Show Bio

It seemed like the freeze-up at the end of the first issue may have something more to do with the power of the newly introduced villain than with Barbara's gun-phobia.

#7 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope she gets over her gun-phobia soon or it'll start getting annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.