Batgirl the Best Book in DC

• 59 results
#1 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

As of November 2012, Batgirl is the 17th most sold book of the month, it is also DC's 4th most sold book of the month, losing only to Batman, Justice League and Green Lantern.

Which means Batgirl is the highest selling female comics for the month of November and probably October and December as well.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-11.html

3 cheers for Babsgirl.

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

weird. the book is average.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio

Sales =/= quality
BB

#4 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Sales =/= quality
BB

But in this case, Batgirl sells great and is written beautifully.

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

Sales =/= quality
BB

I've hardly heard anything good about it.
BB

#6 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

Sales =/= quality
BB

BB

Because they're butthurt that stephanie brown is no longer batgirl so they complain about every single shit

#7 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

Sales =/= quality
BB

BB

Because they're butthurt that stephanie brown is no longer batgirl so they complain about every single shit

Eh, there's plenty of Babs fans who it as well. Even more so.
BB

#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: have you've read the book?

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

@sethysquare: have you've read the book?

yes the whole run.

it gave me everything i needed. great art, good story telling, great supporting cast and a growing rogue gallery.

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the best book in DC.

#11 Posted by X9 (767 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, how good is it to see we have so many fans around Babs' forum, right ...

Oh, wait ¬¬

#12 Posted by The Stegman (25960 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the /best/ book in the New 52, if I had to layer them from Great, Good, Meh, Horrible, she would be in the "Good" category. However, I'm glad to see the title is selling, because I want it to stay around.

#13 Edited by Dernman (15632 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even the top ten of DC. I find it to be a very mediocre book at best IMO.

#14 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

As of November 2012, Batgirl is the 17th most sold book of the month, it is also DC's 4th most sold book of the month, losing only to Batman, Justice League and Green Lantern.

Which means Batgirl is the highest selling female comics for the month of November and probably October and December as well.

3 cheers for Babsgirl.

Lol, thats It XD

for a second i actually thought you had an argument

#15 Posted by jacksonvillewriter (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the book, but I have to agree that sales do not equal quality. Batgirl is a high profile character in the Bat-family, so it's getting a boost from all of the Batman crossovers.

Over the past year, Gail Simone has written a solid book, but there hasn't been a big WOW inducing issue until #13 when the series really hit a boiling point. Based on the foundation laid in that issue and Simone mentioning that the second year outline dials it up a notch, by this time next year Batgirl COULD be the best book in DC.

Assuming DC doesn't re-fire Gail.

#16 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

@sethysquare said:

@Billy Batson said:

Sales =/= quality
BB

BB

just like the people who hate stephanie brown and oracle just love every single little thing about the book without an actual criteria

either way those points cancel each other and you are completely ignoring the people who dislike the book because is a piece of crap by itself

#17 Posted by Ironhawk22 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: You don't read Batman Incorporated or Animal Man do you?

#18 Posted by muhabba (301 posts) - - Show Bio

The book is better than I expected, but I prefered Babs as Oracle. The idea that of her with a life changing injury and using it as a oppertunity to become something diffrent but just as good appealed to me more. It's a good book but I prefered her the other way.

#19 Posted by danhimself (22712 posts) - - Show Bio

so the book is beating out Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman??

the book is faaarrrr from great...mediocre is the best way to describe it....Gail really hasn't done anything with the book at all....imo every issue has felt like a filler issue and the only thing it's building to is a confrontation with her brother James Gordan Jr. which was handled much better by Scott Snyder

#20 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a great book in my opinion but I wouldn't go as far as 'the best'. Only read 3 other DC and amongst them I prefer Aquaman to Batgirl.

#21 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

No it ain't. Its decent at best.

#22 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

how is it the best book when it loses to Batman, Justice League and Green Lantern?

Answer: its not

#23 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ironhawk22 said:

@sethysquare: You don't read Batman Incorporated or Animal Man do you?

Batman incorporated is nothing fantastic, its good, not great.

Animal Man is great however.

#24 Edited by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@X9 said:

Wow, how good is it to see we have so many fans around Babs' forum, right ...

Oh, wait ¬¬

LOL. I'll admit its not the best, but its one of the better books out there.

@arnoldoaad said:

@sethysquare said:

3 cheers for Babsgirl.

Lol, thats It XD

for a second i actually thought you had an argument

I don't need to. Sales speaks volume. If its that horrible, it wouldn't be selling like hot cakes. Even if its not the best, its definitely not the worst.

#25 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised this book is #4 on DC. I've beenpulling it since issue #9 and really like it but for me it'd be 9-10 t best and I pull 13 DC books a month.

As for Barbara being Batgirl I like her alot. Then again I've only been back in comics a little over a year after a long 25 year break and have never read Batgirl before but this a good book.

#26 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

While it ain't the best it's far better than most of the new 52 especially teen titans(ugh).

#27 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

I would go as far as saying Batgirl is mediocre. I'm just in shock that Wonder Woman is not the highest selling female book! It's easily one of the best of the new 52.

#28 Posted by charlieboy (7094 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl is my personal favorite book DC does right now. I am glad that the sales are going well for it.

#29 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail Barbara!!!

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray said:

I would go as far as saying Batgirl is mediocre. I'm just in shock that Wonder Woman is not the highest selling female book! It's easily one of the best of the new 52.

It's unfortunate that sales don't always match peoples opinions. Like, I heard nothing but good things about I, Vampire, yet it sold really low, enough to get cancelled. The sales for Swamp Thing and Animal Man seem quite low considering they're apparently really good. And recently Batwoman seems to get virtually all positive reviews, yet it sells about the same as Catwoman, which seems to get virtually all negative reviews. Weird how these things happen.

But I've strayed from the point slightly. I've heard mixed reviews for Batgirl, some great, some terrible. It might be getting higher sales than the reviews would justify because she's well known, and a member of the Bat-Family, and Batman seems to be very popular at the moment.

#31 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Batwoman seems to get virtually all positive reviews, yet it sells about the same as Catwoman, which seems to get virtually all negative reviews.

Batwoman is one the best comics available at the moment. Unfortunately, because of various Marvel NOW! titles and Hellboy I've been forced to drop it from my pull list. However, I will pick up the TPB's as and when they are released.

#32 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

I've really liked Batgirl in the New 52. The only times that the quality slips a little is when Simone has to write a tie in for ANOTHER batman crossover. Goodness forbid they just let Snyder write a story without bringing every other bat book's story to a halt.

#33 Posted by Jake Fury (19187 posts) - - Show Bio

Number 6 in DC for the month of January. I have a feeling Death of the Family has had something to do with that. I'm glad you enjoy it though.

#34 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Batwoman seems to get virtually all positive reviews, yet it sells about the same as Catwoman, which seems to get virtually all negative reviews.

Batwoman is one the best comics available at the moment. Unfortunately, because of various Marvel NOW! titles and Hellboy I've been forced to drop it from my pull list. However, I will pick up the TPB's as and when they are released.

I've been really enjoying it. It's a shame so many people are missing out on it. Good luck avoiding spoilers for when the TPB comes out then. :)

#35 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I've been really enjoying it. It's a shame so many people are missing out on it. Good luck avoiding spoilers for when the TPB comes out then. :)

I also pick up the Animal Man & Swamp Thing TPB's, thankfully I avoid all spoilers. I pretty much have to avoid anything with these characters in the title!

#36 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I also pick up the Animal Man & Swamp Thing TPB's, thankfully I avoid all spoilers. I pretty much have to avoid anything with these characters in the title!

Is it tricky avoiding spoilers, what with you being on a comic book forum and all?

#37 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Is it tricky avoiding spoilers, what with you being on a comic book forum and all?

Occasionally... But it's usually with the more popular characters like Batman, Spider-Man and most recently The Flash. Thankfully, it is incredibly easy to avoid Swamp Thing, Animal Man & Batwoman spoilers.

#38 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

The best? Ha ha, no

#39 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Occasionally... But it's usually with the more popular characters like Batman, Spider-Man and most recently The Flash. Thankfully, it is incredibly easy to avoid Swamp Thing, Animal Man & Batwoman spoilers.

Now that you mention it, I don't tend to see a lot of Batwoman spoilers. I suppose It does makes sense for the bigger sellers to get more discussion.

#40 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Now that you mention it, I don't tend to see a lot of Batwoman spoilers. I suppose It does makes sense for the bigger sellers to get more discussion.

I guess that's a pro of a book you love not selling as well as other, sometimes less decent ones?

#41 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I guess that's a pro of a book you love not selling as well as other, sometimes less decent ones?

Very true.

Another pro for Batwoman is that the series hasn't been interrupted by any crossover events, and seeing as J.H. Williams doesn't seem to like the idea of crossovers(I spoke to him on twitter about it), I'm guessing he won't be writing Batwoman into any, so the story can remain focused on the actual story.

I wonder how many New 52 titles haven't been involved in any events. It seems like a lot of them have been.

#42 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Very true.

Another pro for Batwoman is that the series hasn't been interrupted by any crossover events, and seeing as J.H. Williams doesn't seem to like the idea of crossovers(I spoke to him on twitter about it), I'm guessing he won't be writing Batwoman into any, so the story can remain focused on the actual story.

I wonder how many New 52 titles haven't been involved in any events. It seems like a lot of them have been.

I wish Nightwing would stop crossing over with Batman... I would prefer it if he had a long run of uninterrupted stories!

#43 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Very true.

I wish Nightwing would stop crossing over with Batman... I would prefer it if he had a long run of uninterrupted stories!

Have many of his issues been affected by Batman? I know he had a Night Of The Owls Issue and a few for Death Of The Family.

#44 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Very true.

Have many of his issues been affected by Batman? I know he had a Night Of The Owls Issue and a few for Death Of The Family.

Not really that many. However, if it was zero issues interrupted by the Owls and Joker then perhaps he would have a better series at the minute? It's not a bad series but it's not great either.

#45 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray: Yeah, an uninterrupted series would be better I think. Keeps things focused.

#46 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love Simone, it's not even close. Sorry.

#47 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray: Yeah, an uninterrupted series would be better I think. Keeps things focused.

Like with The Flash! I didn't think his series got off to the best start. But, it's been much better recently and he's not had crossover stories so far! :D

#48 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray:Hopefully that'll be another series that keeps away from the crossovers then.

#49 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray:Hopefully that'll be another series that keeps away from the crossovers then.

I doubt it'll stay away forever and I would not object to the occasional crossover. Like Aquaman and The Throne Of Atlantis event! That was a great. Plus, I only had to buy 2 titles which I was already buying anyway!

#50 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I doubt it'll stay away forever and I would not object to the occasional crossover. Like Aquaman and The Throne Of Atlantis event! That was a great. Plus, I only had to buy 2 titles which I was already buying anyway!

I hear that was pretty good.

And I suppose a crossover only happening in titles you buy anyway is probably the best kind. Like The Enemy Within is crossing over Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble, both of which I read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.