Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Batgirl Barbara Gordon

Avatar image for andrea_mendoza1997
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

We all know that due to the Insane Joker  Barbara Gordon had to give up being Batgirl since she was paralyzed from waist down and Oracle was born in Birds Of Prey  she revealed a intelligent side  on computers  even that she could speak to them due to Brainiac's attack but what if Barbara wasn't attacked  by the Joker or if she was cured by a miracle do you think  she would claim back her place as Batgirl  or remain as Oracle  where would she go ?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adnan

I presume that if the Joker never shot her, she'd...still be Batgirl, I guess?

Barbara seems to have accepted Stephanie as the new Batgirl. If she ends up being 'cured'...I don't see her reclaiming that title. Personally, I like her as Oracle ._.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By biggkeem89

She had already retired as Batgirl, when she was paralyzed, so I figure she would have still been Oracle or taken a job at the GCPD, following in her father's footsteps(no pun intended)

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Barbara has grown up now, she's become her own self 'Oracle' and has evolved from Batgirl 
    so I wouldn't be happy if she went back to Batgirl, she deserves to be her own person. (:  

I like how she has progressed over the years. Oracle seems natural to me.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adnan
    @Cherry Bomb said:
    "  Barbara has grown up now, she's become her own self 'Oracle' and has evolved from Batgirl so I wouldn't be happy if she went back to Batgirl, she deserves to be her own person. (:   I like how she has progressed over the years. Oracle seems natural to me. "
    Agreed. The Oracle should be seen as an evolution from her identity as the Batgirl, imo. Besides, wouldn't someone like the Oracle be a massive help to this 'Batman Inc.' that's being formed?
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cherry Bomb: :D Yeah I have no problem with her being Oracle just wish she could be more out in the open physically more often in other words I wish she would be able to walk.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @Adnan said:
    " @Cherry Bomb said:
    "  Barbara has grown up now, she's become her own self 'Oracle' and has evolved from Batgirl so I wouldn't be happy if she went back to Batgirl, she deserves to be her own person. (:   I like how she has progressed over the years. Oracle seems natural to me. "
    Agreed. The Oracle should be seen as an evolution from her identity as the Batgirl, imo. Besides, wouldn't someone like the Oracle be a massive help to this 'Batman Inc.' that's being formed? "
    Yeah definately (:  plus, I think it'd be weird if a grown woman is going around saying Batgirl  XD 
    But yeah, it's a necessary evolution.  Cassie evolved to Batgirl and is now her own character.  Steph was Spoiler and then Batgirl and will evolve again in the future.  (: 
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @andrea_mendoza1997:  Yeah I understand you, I personally prefer her being unable to work. It means even though she is disabled, she can still be a great use to Batman and other heroes. (: She maybe should get involved in the action more. I remember her kicking some ass in the Birds of Prey tv show and sometimes she does in the comics.
    andrea_mendoza1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cherry Bomb: i know right she's my favorite character :D  if she would have never been shot she would have stayed as Batgirl but would probably evolve like Dick Grayson  and yeah I know  it would be funny at that age being Batgirl she would have changed eventually . Oracle is awesome though
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @andrea_mendoza1997:  Haha, she is a really good character (:  she is doing justice to disabled people everywhere! 
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adnan
    @andrea_mendoza1997 said:

" @Cherry Bomb: i know right she's my favorite character :D  if she would have never been shot she would have stayed as Batgirl but would probably evolve like Dick Grayson  and yeah I know  it would be funny at that age being Batgirl she would have changed eventually . Oracle is awesome though "

Granted, I'm not gonna lie...I wanna see her beat up a bunch of generic bad guys or something on her wheelchair...just once :P She still trains to keep in shape and all...
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Jotham

She's way more useful as Oracle. If she was healed or something, she'd probably do more physical stuff, but stay in a similar role.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

If she were somehow cured I think she'd remain Oracle but with a cool and stylish costume.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar

If she was cured,  I still think she'd be Oracle or some persona like that. It's what I love about the Batman characters, they all evolve, they're not static.
     Dick Grayson into Robin, into Nightwing, into Batman
    Jason Todd into Robin, into dead, into the Red Hood
    Tim Wayne into Robin, into Red Robin,
    Damian Wayne into little d-bag into Robin the boy d-bag
    Batman into Batman into Time Traveling Batman into Batman the Franchise? Yeah....

Tahiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tahiru

I think for Barbara to become Batgirl again would be a step backward. She is so efficient and valuable as Oracle. If anything, I would rather see her expand her "services" to--say--the police department, public, or on a global scale. How this could be done, I don't have the brains to concoct, but . . . you get what I'm saying. If she were to be "cured," she would need to be moving forward, using both her skills as a computer genius AND crime-fighter to do good.

And, just FYI, I don't see her as the kind of person to quit for any reason, so retirement is out of the question. :3

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Kairan1979
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EnSabahNurX

She is batgirl again O_O its official thanks to the relaunch 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sexy_merc
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By fodigg

I hope they don't entirely ditch her Oracle persona. I hope she's still a computer whiz. I wouldn't even mind if she was still Oracle but out of the wheel chair. The wheel chair didn't define her identity as Oracle, even if it was what set her on that path.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.