Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Anyone else feeling that Barbara is out of character?

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's not like her new title is a total crap, but the Barbara that stars it doesn't look like the Barbara I know and came to love. She seems much younger, she's so reckless and doing so many stupid things. In issue #38 they tried to adress this question by making Barbara say, while she was arguing with Dinah, that she finally had a life and friends and she deserved it after everything she's been trough. Ok, but being reckless while wearing Batgirl's cape doesn't seem smart or understandable. Afterall, citizens don't know she's Barbara Gordon, so it makes no difference to her social life. So I agree with Dinah, she's acting like a child.

Anyway...I still think these plots would work better for Stargirl or any character of that kind. Especially because they're much more like teenagers than young adults.

There are others ways of making a comic book be fun, rather than just turn its main character into a new character :/

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cobra88king8

Honestly she feels more like a teenage than someone in the their mid teens. The book probably would work better if it was Stephanie Brown than Barbara because then at least her choices would be understandable. This does not read like someone who, quite frankly, I always felt was one of the mature members of the Bat family, even post N52

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't post on here much, but I popped back in just to say that I completely agree. Like cobra said, it would be more fitting of Stephanie Brown, but really, the portrayal seems way off for any of the batgirls.

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stephanie Brown should just be Batgirl again.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No she shouldn't, they need to write Babs better is all.

bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only read issue 35 of the new run so far. It's gonna take a while to get used to and almost feels like a different book altogether. There's a lot of app talk and acronyms. The colors are cool and I like Batgirl's new costume, but don't really like the character models much. I pretty much agree with everyone's complaints. Personality wise, this is not the Barbara I'm used to.

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm currently reading the Batgirl comics and I love Babarba's new portrayal. It's youthful and more upbeat. I can even sorta relate to her. Like her, I've gone through some rough problems in my life that left me depressed and moody (like when she was being written by Gail) and I recovered from that, developing a more laid-back, less paranoid personality. The way I see it, she is trying to live a happier life. Life gave her lemons, now she's making lemonade :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

hyperion616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I just boycott any comics with her in selfie mode, same can be said for superman. It's not creative just destructive.Her new look is so dumb, liked her alot better in the birds of prey costume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.